Life after rc tanks...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Life after rc tanks...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: :D Very, very nice!
I think a Bren/Universal carrier project would also make a great crossover hobby, Adam, as it's a lot smaller than a tank- but a great deal bigger than a model. :D
Deep down, I think many of us have that latent restoration bug in us: it's a really strong one- almost irresistible :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I had the chance to buy one of these a few years back priced at £500, though the bodywork was sound I don’t believe it had the engine or gearbox as the guy was using it as diorama, as a pose to a working vehicle so I never bothered, I don’t believe it would be easy to source what it needed
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Jimster wrote:Beautiful Jeep. I’ve driven Jeeps for over 35 years (still do) and there’s nothing like them. I started out with CJ-5s but I’ve always wanted an old MB someday. Are you rebuilding the original engine? Damn, I’m jealous!!
Engine has had a full rebuild. I bought it knowing the engine had low oil pressure, but otherwise the jeep was mint. Only one spot of rust below the axe bracket.

Ended up doing a ground up restoration and replaced all seals/bearings etc so it’ll never need doing again for a long time.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

FredtheFrench wrote:What beautiful hobby!!! I understand now all your sales. I hope this Jeep will visit Normandy one day!!! Congrats. :clap:
Thank you :) Normandy is my plan, maybe within the next 5 years.
Kaczor wrote:Boys never grow up only change toys for bigger :D
Can’t get too much bigger, the wife will notice it in the garden ;)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

43rdRecceReg wrote::thumbup: :D Very, very nice!
I think a Bren/Universal carrier project would also make a great crossover hobby, Adam, as it's a lot smaller than a tank- but a great deal bigger than a model. :D
Deep down, I think many of us have that latent restoration bug in us: it's a really strong one- almost irresistible :D :thumbup:
Thanks Roy :)

Armour is way down on my list of wants - if anything, a GMC or M8 Greyhound but the latter is £40k+!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I had the chance to buy one of these a few years back priced at £500, though the bodywork was sound I don’t believe it had the engine or gearbox as the guy was using it as diorama, as a pose to a working vehicle so I never bothered, I don’t believe it would be easy to source what it needed
Should have bought it - spare engines and gearboxes are readily available!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Ad Lav wrote:
Can’t get too much bigger, the wife will notice it in the garden ;)
Man, you look new here... Put a camo net over it, she will never find it!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

But
in the jeep you can take your wife and children with you ...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jhamm wrote:But
in the jeep you can take your wife and children with you ...
With the Jeep, you could even terrify the Mother-in-Law :lolno: ...especially offroad, over bumps, and with no seatbelts fitted :haha:
Thinking of In-Laws, I used to have a WW2 British gas mask hanging from our toilet/bathroom door- for 'emergencies'. ;)
However, my late Mother-in-Law (born, and steeped in 'The Raj'.. ;) ) was simply not amused.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

My Father was commissioned into the Indian Army and served through the late 20s and 30s until 1939 when he resigned and joined the British Army ,
He waxed lyrical about his time in the Raj,
It was the 60s and I was on a train out of the Hooglii Station, Calcutta bound for Jogbani Junction on the Indian/ Nepal border where I was destined to join my detachment at the Ghurka Training base at Dharan Cantonment.
My feelings about my Country changed over the 36 hours of that train ride.
I shared the carriage with an Indian Doctor who without rancor or bitterness explained to a naive boy how he saw the British Raj from an Indians viewpoint,
I learnt a valuable lesson that has stood me in good stead ever since,
There is always at least two sides to any point of view and until you have heard each viewpoint it is foolish at best to take a particular side.
I have never ridden in a Jeep but I have driven many miles in an Austin Champ the layout of which is not dissimilar except it had fully independent suspension all round and an 8 speed all wheel drive transmission (4 forward and 4 Reverse),
Brilliant in the tropics awful in a Northern European Winter :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Show Off”