British Tea Joy

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: British Tea Joy

Post by Jimster »

WOW!! 8O
I never realized the scope and depth and endless nuances of creating a “proper” cuppa tea. Yikes! Reminds me of learning to program a hobby grade radio. After I finish this box of Tetleys I’ll have do some online ordering of Yorkshire loose leaf just to satisfy my curiosity. Tea strainers and small porcelain tea pots aren’t exactly prolific around my “neck of the woods” but I’m determined to give it a go.
I certainly appreciate all the educational and entertaining responses. Yet another reason this my most enjoyable forum and the most visited by far. And this morning I didn’t add any sugar or milk which seems to be my preference.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jimster wrote:WOW!! 8O
I never realized the scope and depth and endless nuances of creating a “proper” cuppa tea. Yikes! Reminds me of learning to program a hobby grade radio. After I finish this box of Tetleys I’ll have do some online ordering of Yorkshire loose leaf just to satisfy my curiosity. Tea strainers and small porcelain tea pots aren’t exactly prolific around my “neck of the woods” but I’m determined to give it a go.
I certainly appreciate all the educational and entertaining responses. Yet another reason this my most enjoyable forum and the most visited by far. And this morning I didn’t add any sugar or milk which seems to be my preference.
Jimster please except my apologies on behalf of those English people who first brought civilised behaviour to the colonies for patently obviously failing to educate their children in the very basic essentials such as how to make a PROPER cup of tea and the required utensils to carry out this essential task.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Not allowing the staff to make tea goes back to the time when tea was far too expensive not to lock it up. It was mainly about light fingers. Same for when the head of the household carved the meat, all about keeping an eye on ones valuables ;)

As for warming the cups, it probably depends who taught one, I should think our richer southern ancestors had more experience with the more expensive luxuries ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Whilst Shaun gives a detailed, genteel, and almost Jeeves-like account of the art of slurping tea- my earliest memories were of tea 'mashing' the day long in the pot, much as barley does in the distillery. :D
The Teapot was topped up with loose tea, and boiling water, throughout the day and- when the ever darker content was not being chugged back, a padded caddy was put on the pot to retain the heat. :)
Given that there's a fair amount of caffeine in loose tea, the resultant potent dark 'Sergeant Major' brew could guarantee a good night of blether, tales, hand-wringing, and games. (At that time, the 'Wireless' was pretty much the only other entertainment available). This near-lethal 'Sgt Major' style of brewing (essentially, not to waste any tea- a lesson learned from WW2 rationing, which was still in force in the early 1950s )...can also be found, oddly enough, among the Bedouin in North Africa. As with their turbo-charged coffee, the tea can induce an alarmingly fast heart-rate, and the jitters in the unwary 8O :haha:
Not much beats a good loose tea brew in a pot. There's a vast array of flavours to choose from, but I'd go for a Yorkshire tea based on Darjeeling. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Definitely ordering some Yorkshire after my Tetley is used up! Awesome history lessons here.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I did want to regale anyone who would listen about my coffee drinking experiences but I reckoned I had gone on for too long already with my child's guide to making a decent cup of tea BUT you pushed me into it,
I had some pretty awful times in the Middle East (Yemen) losing my best friend John Balcombe amongst other nastiness but when we went up country we were in a world where honour is life,
At the end of a long day as the evening chill came over the bivvie we would share the company of our Bedoo guides and they would make our coffee,
They would gather the little metal coffee cans together and wash them under the hot steam coming from the percolater,
The thick black treacle textured hot coffee would be measured out into each coffee can and like magic a large solid block of sugar would be produced.
Our host would take his knife from his belt and as we sucked/chewed our coffee he would chip away at the sugar lump handing a piece to everyone sitting around the bivvie, as we drank we would suck the sugar lump NEVER DIP it in the coffee and we would relax for the first time that day in the company of people for whom you would give your life as they would for you.
A good smoke and all was well with the world. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

hahahahahahahahaha

i don't do tea at all, but this thread made me laugh

thanks for bringing smile to my face, i think i just continue to drink Orange Juice or Whisky :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Off topic”