The Train

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

The Train

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I don't think there is a single tank in this film--though there is an armored train. The Train, from the 'sixties, set in France as the Germans are retreating in '44, tells a story of deadly cat-and-mouse competition between German Col. Franz Von Waldheim (Paul Scofield) determined to steal French art and a French resistance fighter Paul Labiche (Burt Lancaster) who is convinced to help stop the theft. The scene of the air attack was filmed in a French railyard with real explosions and real charges used to depict bombing and strafing. (The Hollywood producers helped the French tear up parts of a railyard to change the track gauge.) This old film is still one I watch repeatedly for the suspense and detail.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: The Train

Post by Jimster »

Awesome movie! If my model railroad hobby wasn’t already stretched so thin I would think about recreating a similar train in Z scale using Marklin equipment. Actually my rc tank hobby has all but completely overshadowed my trains at this time.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It gets a run out on SKY Cinema/Film4 every now and then,
Engrossing action story and does not pull its punches, "Real People",La Biche, we all of us have met a stubborn old Bast*rd like him,
A fascinating glimpse of a (Mocked up) German Armoured Train,
Typical of Burt Lancaster he did his own stunts as well as putting his own money into the film.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes...and then there is Michel Simon as Papa Boule, who is executed early in the film. What a mug on that guy! And he had a long acting career in some other excellent films. "Ten miles and hour! No more." "Remember, a grease job is not a baaath!"
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

A very good French movie in 1946, is "la bataille du rail". No specials effects, only trues destructions, like the train with the crane, or the derailment at the end, with only originals german vehicles.

I don' t know if there is subtitles, but it is truly an excellent film about the French railroads resistance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eMlfh5WQSQ&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1bCz5WWprY
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A Film I should like to see again was about truckers hauling Nitro-Glycerine through a jungle, :thumbup: It was a French made film and I saw it in a Moviehouse in Liege Belgium,
Years later the Americans remade a very second rate American cast copy that was very disappointing :thumbdown:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Le salaire de la peur??????? ??? ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobqSF7qf8Y
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thank you for finding the film Fred,
Bravo :thumbup: :clap:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

You re welcome. It s a pleasure... :wave:

Return to “Movies”