Jagdpanther build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Jagdpanther build

Post by Soeren »

Hey there, you have a great progress with your model. I like those trch cur marks and your weld seams.

Did you decide to go with the ABER PE? Looking at the engine deck, you get some parts to simply improve the overall section. As you are going to put a lot of work into your model (at least it already looks like that to me), you really wanna approach those details to not feel sorry in the end. That relates to the hooks on the engine hatch panel that should face outwards and the knobs on the other panels that actually should be outward facing hooks too. Or the double knobs at the back end, that should be small frames with pins securing the pulley cables and of course the track hangers. Or those thow squares on the engine door that should be rectangular shaped strips of metal, where the cadsemate door would sit onm when opened. Easy fixes at the current stage of your build.

Here is a quick picture of my G2 JP, so just ignore all the tools on the back deck.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Soeren wrote:Hey there, you have a great progress with your model. I like those trch cur marks and your weld seams.

Did you decide to go with the ABER PE? Looking at the engine deck, you get some parts to simply improve the overall section. As you are going to put a lot of work into your model (at least it already looks like that to me), you really wanna approach those details to not feel sorry in the end. That relates to the hooks on the engine hatch panel that should face outwards and the knobs on the other panels that actually should be outward facing hooks too. Or the double knobs at the back end, that should be small frames with pins securing the pulley cables and of course the track hangers. Or those thow squares on the engine door that should be rectangular shaped strips of metal, where the cadsemate door would sit onm when opened. Easy fixes at the current stage of your build.

Here is a quick picture of my G2 JP, so just ignore all the tools on the back deck.
Thanks ! I have not decided if of which PE set I would go with. I've never used a PE set up until this point. Not against adding any either. Which PE tools could you recommend that add to ease bending and forming small pieces. I do have track hangers currently in shipment. And need to remove that is currently there. And thank you fot pointing out the deck hooks. The pervious owner had placed in the wrong direction and did not notice. :) I have looked online for reference photos and have yet to see a JP with the tube mounted across the rear deck like yours. ( I really like the look). That your own idea? Also considering side aprons, radio box and paint camo schemes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Has anyone here used the Voyager photo etch kit? It's much cheaper so I'm curious as to what the quality is like and if it's missing anything the Aber set has?
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

You can start on PE just with plier and tweezers. If you are fancy you can order a PE bending tool. But that is not needed for most of the parts.

@B.Man
I got the Voyager PE set and wouldn’t buy it again. They seem to use 0.2 and 0.25 mm brass sheet and that is too thin. So you would have to add some material to get to the proper scale thickness. Too much additional work if you ask me.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I just started doing PE in the past year and most parts can be bent without special tools, but I did end up buying a PE tool for longer bends. I actually have stopped trying to solder it with my soldering iron. I have a heat gun with small tips that gets hot enough to melt solder. I use paste solder, flux, and the heat gun for most of my soldering of PE now. Works great for me.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Add on info. The voyager stowage box set and the fender set is alright. Just the general detail set is not comparable to the ABER kit.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Soeren wrote:Add on info. The voyager stowage box set and the fender set is alright. Just the general detail set is not comparable to the ABER kit.
Order the Aber kit this morning :)

Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Great, I am sure you won’t regret this. Just take your time and you should get nice results.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Thank everyone for following along. Been bit since I updated on the process. With kids back to school and their online learning has been a bit of a challenge to escape into my "safe place" and get some work done. Lol. So tends to be a few minutes here or there or maybe an hour or so once the house settles down that I can make some progress.

So far I've stripped all the old and nasty paint off the upper casemate. Removed and cleaned the grease off the gears and applied new. Gave the inner hull a good cleaning and a clean black coat of paint with 3 layers of clear coat to hopefully seal it enough to stand up to running and battling without chipping. Had to order a replacement idler, Idler wheel and Idler shaft. Which was a bit frustrating as it turned into 4 separate orders as the parts were not described very well online. Partly my fault of not having a manual and ordering to quickly. Image

Inside the lower hull I removed the DMD and using a clark TK80 board, changed the Tamiya speaker to a Visaton yet keeping the Tamiya speaker box. Relocated a volume rotary control to the rear stowage box opposite side as the power switch. I can now access from the outside of the tank. Did the same on my other Panther build and honestly you don't even notice it.

Added Mr Surface 500 on the upper casemate for some texture with a few battle damage deflection marks. Added an Taigen Led headlamp, added more defined flame cuts on the steel and weld seams, weld seams around most of the hatches and items on the tank that would have been welded on.

Took your advice and order the Panther basic Aber PE kit.... Thank you. It did add detail to areas and can be a bit of a bear with some things. I'm still working on adding and attaching the small chains to the track retaining pins. Added some bent brass rod on the side as a anti aircraft netting attachment points. Maybe not accurate to the rivet counters but I think it adds a nice small touch.

Before painting I'm still waiting on a few bits from over the pond that a member was nice enough to piggie back from Germany since their international shipping rates should be a crime in itself.

I sorted out the wiring using the Tamiya elevation, recoil ext to the TK80. Only wiring i have left is the barrel flash LED, battle IR emitter and to add MG once it arrives.

Sorry for the long rambling post had a bit of extra coffee this morning :) more updates to follow !

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Pictures for the lurkers ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Tamiya Builds”