Jagdpanther build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Jagdpanther build

Post by Soeren »

http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/In16_015_.pdf

You can use all the parts for the rear plate, the engine deck, and the sides.

Taht is about 80% of the set.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Thanks ! Once it's laid out like that it doesn't look so intimidating. Maybe I will take a leap and try this 1st hand on this build. Like I mentioned earlier the only experience I really have is just with engine grill decks. Is there any special process or tools in which you are using to bend and shape these parts? I'm assuming your basic CA hobby glue is what your attaching this with?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Good find and a good subject! Loved mine - it’s in Joes capable hands now.

Build here if you want ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24219&hilit=1946+jagdpanther
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Ad Lav wrote:Good find and a good subject! Loved mine - it’s in Joes capable hands now.

Build here if you want ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24219&hilit=1946+jagdpanther
Wow. What a build!! Just took my time and went back in between work calls and read the whole thread. Certainly will refer back to this in the future. I like what you did in doing a 46 "what if" camo paint scheme. Lots of added detail there to ! Its hard being here in the US and me justifying spending very high shipping costs out of Germany on those tiny detail bits right now. Maybe once covid has moved on shipping will be lower. But they sure do finish off a project nicely. My Panther F is that style of 46 "what if" and in my mind very very cool looking. Will put a thread together one day to show that off with a parts lift to. Waiting on one or two more parts for that as well. Still rolling around what color and style paint I will finish this JP off in. Did you build the radio box and anti aircraft deck armor yourself? Funny because I've emailed Battleground a few times about the IR setups this week. Will be nice to have a few of those on hand. The last set I got was from Asiatam and was pricy with shipping. Thanks for sharing.

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Radio box is from Ludwigs in Germany and same with the deck armour. Highly recommended.

If you wait until you need a whole bunch of stuff, get it sent all at once. Or failing that get it sent to the U.K. and then to the USA. Might not work out cheaper though.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

LordPanzer wrote:Thanks ! Once it's laid out like that it doesn't look so intimidating. Maybe I will take a leap and try this 1st hand on this build. Like I mentioned earlier the only experience I really have is just with engine grill decks. Is there any special process or tools in which you are using to bend and shape these parts? I'm assuming your basic CA hobby glue is what your attaching this with?

Basically you bend the parts with pliers, tweezers or special PE bending tools. Multi piece parts are best soldered together. Then you attach them with special CA (that is flexible, there are hobby products available for some time now). You can always reinforce the part by soldering a small piece of wire to the back of the part, drill a whole and glue it in.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Well I'm glad my wife did not have to witness the mess I made in the kitchen this weekend. Used 2 rounds spray on oven cleaner letting it sit for 3 hours and then 8 hours. Had in inside plastic bags and inside a cardboard box in the garage. Not sure if that had any extra affect on the outcome but it did contain it. Then used hot water, a stiff kitchen brush and a good bit of elbow grease to remove the caked on paint. Cleaned and oiled the gears and tested. The DMD is in good working order. Although I think I'm going to sell and use a spare Clark TK80 I have in another tank that I really don't use. So up next is some detail texture work and then to sort out wiring.
Thats for following. ImageImage

Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Great job. That should give you a good starting point now.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Has anyone tried mating that servo recoil/traverse unit to a Heng Long upper hull?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Body stripped and sanded. Added texture, flame cuts and weld seams. Was able to save and reattach the photo eche to. Didn't do anything yet with the back side of the casemate as I'm missing the rear hatch, front head lamp and antenna base. Still sorting that out but will be easy to add later. Also I'm thinking of a radio box will be added. Upper section ready for primer paint then onto lower hull and road wheels :)ImageImage

Return to “Tamiya Builds”