Cooling...

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Timbo68
Private

Cooling...

Post by Timbo68 »

I have three HL tanks (Tiger, with Taigen hull/gearbox/motors, T-72 and Sherman) all of which have full metal running gear, and are heavy as a result. I started worrying about the electronics overheating, so all three have 5v fans plugged into the output on the 6.0 board directing cooling air. I noticed that the motors were getting warm also, so I added some heatsinks (Tiger pic attached). Having run my Tiger for long enough to deplete a 2s LiPo, I found that the heatsinks on the 390 motors were much too hot to touch! The Tiger has open grilles at the rear, and I’ve fitted opening front hatches, which I now leave open while running for air circulation. I’ve also vented the cases of the 6.0 MFUs. The Tiger also has in-line fuses on the motor leads, just in case.
I’m thinking of adding a second fan in each tank to cool the motors. I’d be interested to know what anyone else may have done, and if there are any good ideas I can steal….!
Attachments
Tiger.JPG
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Cooling...

Post by jarndice »

Instead of fitting the fan to direct air onto the top of the overheated area have you thought of standing the fan/s on its/their edge and blowing cooling air across and through the overheated parts directing the heated air toward the engine grilles.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you've been racing with 1/10 saloons you'll have heard of silver soldered motor wires becoming free during a race - now that's hot! A brushed motor will take a lot of heat but a motor heat sink can only help. The ESC is the weak point and in our hobby and they are hidden away in the multi function unit. Some MFUs have fans built in but adding one correctly can again only help. As you say, finding ventilation holes is the key here and will also help with the sounds escaping!

However, even with a heavy metal hull it's unusual for electronic failures due solely to weight so focus on good lubrication and no turning parts binding anywhere. Also, bear in mind that a good nylon geared gearbox will be the most free running type so do you really need to go to steel? Just avoid the zinc ones at all costs

Hope this gives you a few ideas.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Thanks for the info. I'll worry less about the motor heat, but I think I'll look at some additional cooling anyway. Directed cooling is certainly the best - I'm using it in a temporary installation in my Sherman with a blower fan (pic attached), and I've yet to vent that MFU. I've drilled holes in the hull side by the fan intake, and the air can exit via the deck grilles. More fans on order....!
Attachments
Sherman.jpg

Return to “General Questions”