Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Are you making fun of my cheap American whiskEy and iphone11 pro max? Just kidding, man. iPhones can make good photographers out of anyone but it takes an “eye” to set up the shot. And if I may be frank, a good attitude and friendly personality really help make a thread enjoyable to follow. Carry on with your Panther and I will surely follow along.
Now I’ll have just one more half shot. Cheers my friend.
:D Wouldn't dream of it. :haha: Incidentally, the Irish also spell Whisky as 'Whiskey', just like you ex-colonials :D .
Speaking of which "Old Bushmills' Irish whiskey is a decent slurp. My fave single-malt Scots whisky, however,
is an affordable 10-year old Glenmorangie (Gaelic: Gleann Mòr na Sìth "vale of Tranquillity"), but topped by the unaffordable 18-year old vintage. It's like angels dancing on the tongue (Followed by Pink Elephants when you overdo it...)
Whether 'Whiskey' or 'Whisky' they're both from Gaelic: 'Uisge- Beatha/ 'Water of Life'.
As for the iPhone 11, well it does take outstanding pics, even when used by a duffer. My lad in Switzerland has one, but I couldn't justify one given the cameras
I already have. Always your pinsharp pics, and drollery. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good afternoon,
Mention Bourbon and I am summoned. Sweet Panther there, Doc. I look at it and it is a blank Canvas for a huge Detail Job to follow. ;o) I'll be following along, sir. ( How does your provided commander figure look out of the box? Pretty good features and molded of hard plastic? Let me know if you have one of the older rubbery types with distorted facial features and I can go through spares and mail you a good one if you need it )
regards,
Painless
Thanks, Painless. So you're the Bourbon Genie, are you :D I think Jim Beam's the only one I've ever wetted the whistle with (that used to be 'whetted' in archaic English).
The Commander is on par with Tamiya supplied examples, and free of the deranged, and Marty Feldman-like expression, we associate with your legendary "Crazy Joe' :D It's hard plastic.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

they look very similar in size wonder how well the Atak zimmerit would fit on the heng long.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning Roy!
A couple of pics of my Panther which was a Taigen plastic hull version that I did a detail and gearbox upgrade on back in the day. You have seen these before and I post only to show you what can be done with the rear deck detailing ( and also my 'wounded' Commander )
regards and following along,
Painless

P.S. This tank is slated to get one of the new ( and wonderful ;o) metal lower hulls with the correct wheels, etc...etc...
Attachments
Hauptmann as Squad Leader.JPG
Hauptmann as Squad Leader.JPG
That's a wrap.JPG
That's a wrap.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, and a tastefully enhanced Panther, Painless- as ever :thumbup:
John: As you can see, the dimensions of the two are pretty much identical. For this reason, Zimmerit, and other extras for one, should pretty much fit the other. :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I thought I'd get the Panther properly kitted out, before giving it a trial run. The first thing was to press all the tools, and ancillary parts, into place. They're something of a tight (press) fit, with a coating of paint in the way, bit of relieving's needed here and there. The good thing is, it's not really necessary to use any cement with these fittings. Once they're in place, they're never likely to fall off..thumbup:
I didn't want to ruin the tank's surprisingly pleasing paint finish with HL decals, and opted to use Tamiya Panther water-slide decals. Down the road a bit, I'll probably use some light Tamiya weathering to give it more of a lived-in look. At the same time, the Commander will need fleshing out a tad.
I forgot to mention, that when the package first arrived, I noticed that a puzzling ticking sound was coming from it. If I were paranoid, I'd assumed that someone had inserted a Mission Impossible set of auto-destruct instructions in with the tank. In the event, it emerged that the transmitter was on, and had gone into intermittent red flash mode. So, I chose to accept the mission anyway. :D
Here's the smoker starting up:
and a clearer image:
It wouldn't work at first, and I realised I must have overtopped 'the hole of filling' (you gotta love these Chinglish expressions). All you need to do, if you've oversoaked the smoke unit- with the Panther, anyway- is to turn it upside down, and drain the excess off.
Now, it works a treat. I'm also very impressed with the MFU; it did exactly what it should do.
In fact, everything works incredibly well, I'm delighted to say. :thumbup: Who would have thought it a few years ago. :eh:
The four engine sounds are easy to select, and the proportional (engine speed) effect is especially good. The BB cannon really has quite a bit of venom in it, and the turret moves very smoothly (almost a full 360, no less).
I really didn't want yet another tank, but, I am glad I bought this one. Even with hefty metal tracks it handled large chipping, my wooden ramp, wet grass on a steepish slope (the one I broke my ankle on), and can spin on carpet, grass, bird droppings (it happened :/ )and laminate flooring. In other words, although I'm too old for a full 'Wow!', this Heng Long product actually brought a smile to my face, replacing its default grimace :thumbup:
It really doesn't need any further expenditure. But....... :shh: :think: if I were to embellish it in any way, it might be with a set of these Wecohe Panther tools- from Dom at rctank.de:
Wecohe tank tools...round about 32 Euros.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fantastic panther, very cool and simple approach!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

c.rainford73 wrote:Fantastic panther, very cool and simple approach!

Thanks, Carl. The fact is, not that much needs to be done to this model. It looks okay and performs well. A wee bit of weathering is all that's really needed, to give it a more authentic patina.
Yep, I can heartily recommend one of these budget buys. :thumbup: It's also a case of- 'it ain't broke, so don't fix it'. That's just as well, really, as my backlog of projects is beginning to stretch to the horizon. :problem: :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Your train of thought is the same as mine on these new HLs
99% of the time they sit on a shelf, as long as they look ok the running part can be near enough.
The Panther I got as a birthday present will be done up but not overly endowed with exotic features.
That way it can do it’s thing without risk of breaking bits off or needing the support of NASA to keep it running.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Can't agree enough. With all of the complex and extremely detailed pieces we build and collect, a nice runner that is virtually plug and play and easy to maintain and good looking has me considering one of these entry level pieces.

Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “General Discussion”