TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Re: TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

I made a tow bar to be installed in front of the M1 Abrams. Tow ropes are a staple in WWII tanks, but tow bar seems to be common in modern tanks.
This was made from WAVE's 8mm? plastic pipe and plastic plate laminate.
tow bar23.JPG
The adapter is attached to the tow bar.
Tow bar32.JPG
Some real tanks have tow bar and some do not, but I added it because I thought it would look better as a model with the tow bar.
tow bar50.JPG
tow bar66.JPG
tow bar56.JPG
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I agree the Tow Bar looks great hanging from the front and adds a level of interest to the forward hull. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Barry, thanks for your comment. As you say, I also felt that adding the Tow Bar would make the tank forward hull look much better.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Band for fixing

Post by kintaroukinji »

I made a belt to fasten and fix jerry cans. You can see model works of tanks in which ammo boxes, luggage, jerry cans, etc. are randomly placed in the bustle rack or on the turret, but in the case of real tanks, it is obvious that these will jump out when tank starts to run. I've heard that real tank crews take great care in arranging or securing their luggage so that it doesn't fall off, hinder sensors or their field of view. It seems natural because these can affect their lives during actual combat.
I bent the brass wire into a rectangle and soldered one brass wire across the center of the rectangle to make a buckle for the band. The band material can be anything that is strip-shaped and flexible, but I used a brass band plate this time.
BAND2_01.JPG
BAND3.JPG
With this method, you can easily make the binding band and buckle in a shape that looks good, although it does not have a length adjustment function like the real one. If the belt material is more flexible, such as cloth or paper, this buckle can allow for length adjustment.
JERRY CAN (6).JPG
JERRY CAN (3).JPG
A fixed band for jerry cans. I also put a band on the blanket and small arms.
JERRY CAN (5).JPG
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

The searchlight attached to the anti-sniper/objective MG can be turned on with an LED. I used a thin enameled wire to wire the LED and routed it through the cable duct between the MG and the turret. The headlights and blackout headlights can also be switched.
MG Light4.JPG
MG Light3.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-UbVC_DLE
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Such sweet details Sir.
Thanks for keeping us in on your progress.
I will certainly use your technique to make straps for stowage on any vehicle I do.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

HERMAN BIX,
thank you for your comment. My method of detailing up M1A2 is not very planning, and the method is also trial and error, so it is not efficient either. However, that is also a hobby, so I consider it one of my pleasures.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Keep up the great work!

I have a pile of scrap from "the planned" that turned out to be "trial & error" before it was right!
I agree, I also enjoy the pleasure that the inefficiency brings to my hobby. ;)

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Barry,
Thanks for your comment. If this is work or business, such inefficiency would not be tolerated. As a hobby, there is no delivery date, and the modification method and final quality level are my preference. It's a world of self-satisfaction! On the other hand, it is a fact that everyone has the feeling that they want someone to see, appreciate their work, praise them, and state their opinions even if they are hobbies. This would be one of the most important points of this site.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Main switch position change

Post by kintaroukinji »

I installed the main switch of this M1A2 model under the blow-off panel of the turret like TAMIYA's full operation RC model.
Main switch in turret
Main switch in turret
However, in order to install the slip ring for turning the 360° turret, it is advantageous to install the battery and main switch in the under hull. The main switch should be installed in a location that is inconspicuous from the outside. When the main switch is installed at the bottom of the tank like the HengLong tank, I have to lift the tank every time I switch it on and off.
When I installed the main switch on the rear upper part of the rear drive sprocket wheel, it was hidden behind the side skirt and the switch was invisible, but within easy reach of my fingers.? I made a rectangular hole for the switch in the relevant part of the under hull and fixed it with a screw.
Under hull Main switch
Under hull Main switch
Under hull Main switch
Under hull Main switch
Under hull Main switch
Under hull Main switch
The switch is completely invisible when the upper hull is installed. But my fingers can easily reach the switch.
switch5.JPG

Return to “Modern Tanks”