1/35th Tamiya Vintage(ish) R/C Chieftain Mk5

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

1/35th Tamiya Vintage(ish) R/C Chieftain Mk5

Post by jimbo_wa »

Yet another small build started over the last few days.

Managed to get a part built kit off eBay with the original metal gearbox, but when it arrived it was not in a great state to rebuild with PE and metal tracks. Luckily a new kit was only £17 delivered and it's the same sprues.

This time I've modified the standard Tamiya kit suspension rather than the AFV Club Centurion kit (wasn't impressed...) and have reinforced with brass sheet on the outer plate as after cutting out the arms it was less than 1mm thin.

All 6 units were completed and using some old Losi Micro-T rear springs I've got a decent amount of travel. However, the rear set is rather compressed thanks to the metal gearbox and motors, so I'm waiting for some stronger parts to arrive...

Will be using the Masterclub 1/35th MTL 35079 Tracks for Chieftain with new rubber track pads and Eduard ED35771 PE kit for a bit of extra detail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Re: 1/35th Tamiya Vintage(ish) R/C Chieftain Mk5

Post by jimbo_wa »

Cracked on with this over the last few weeks, and have now got it to a state of needing paint and needing a barrel (waiting for a 4mm Styrene tube to be delivered). The Masterclub tracks with rubber pads were easy to put together and seem to run much better than the Friulmodel tracks on the Centurion and Tiger I...

Thinking of a Berlin Brigade camo, even if the Tamiya kit isn't exactly right for the period...

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Fantastic work! Love the photo etch. Taking notes for its big brother
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks Tom, the Eduard kit was nicer to fit than the Tiger I Aber PE and quite a bit cheaper!

Left off the absolutely tiny bits as this is a runner.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's looking cool Mr Wa :thumbup:

I had to laugh when I saw the PE, especially remembering what people have mentioned about some of the 16th PE being fiddly :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:That's looking cool Mr Wa Image

I had to laugh when I saw the PE, especially remembering what people have mentioned about some of the 16th PE being fiddly :D
Cheers, I'm finding it easier to work than the Tiger I Aber kit - it's a bit more forgiving...

I've now finished the scratch built L11A5 120mm barrel for the Chieftain with Eduard PE straps.

Used a 4mm Styrene tube, bits of an old pen, spare brass tube and aluminium flashing tape with thin mesh that came with some flowers bought for the better half. Win - win situation! Image

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Detail springs from the most unlikely sources at times. Beautiful work!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks Painless - I've also managed to find a barrel gaiter that's hopefully not too far off scale and should allow for recoil to be fitted. It's a bit larger than the required diameter, but nothing else seems to be available with the flexibility required:

https://rcbitz.com/rc4wd-parts-kits/tra ... r-z-s0981/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That barrel cover & strapping is extraordinary mate :clap: :clap:
just brilliant
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ta Herman, I've also had a delivery from Stian with 3x Clark TK39SP boards (Chieftain, Centurion and Leopard 2) along with the program board and IR remote.

Just need to spend some time working out all the functions...

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”