Taigen Panzer III - Fitting Lower RPM - Higher Torque Motors - For More Realistic Scale Like Speed

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Taigen Panzer III Lower RPM Higher Torque Motors Scale S

Post by Max-U52 »

Taigen only has three different boards, V1, turret rotation is stop and go, you can't control the speed at which it rotates, V2, can use hobby grade TX, proportional turret rotation, separate sound card for different tanks. Turn smoke on/off from TX, pushbutton MG, V3, same as V2 except adds the ability to turn off the track recoil. If you have a toggle switch to fire the machine gun it's a V1.

Here's three different Panzer IIIs with three different kinds of off the shelf gearboxes.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Hope that helps

:wave: :wave: :wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Most excellent videos! Thank you. I wish more folks would post videos.
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Many thanks Gary for taking the time to make the videos, very helpful to see how the three different gearbox’s perform in direct comparison.
It’s a shame the brass gearbox’s are no longer available.
Cheers Martin
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

No problem, I wanted to know myself anyway. So I found a pretty cool speed calculator on line and it works out that the stock gear boxes have a top speed of 36 miles per hour, the brass have a top speed of 18 miles per hour and the steel dual ratio (5:1) gear boxes have a top speed of 29 miles per hour.

The brass are just a little bit slow but they're still my favorite. They definitely handle the best. Hmmm, I should run all three of them through the climbing test in the ditch and see how they do. Stay tuned. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Thanks Gary, Interesting to see & compare the scale speeds, the top road speed of a late Panzer III was around 25mph. It’ll be good to know how the different gearbox’s perform & compare regarding torque on the climbing test & also how well they do off-road.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

So I also did some time trials on my new 76mm Sherman with 3:1 H/L GBs and it came in at just a hair over 20 mph. Probably the closest yet.

And here's a quick bit on gearboxes (old video, but still applies), most of which you probably already know, but there still might be a nugget or two in there.

phpBB [video]

I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with your PIII, so I hope you'll keep us posted. Also, have you given any thought to your next tank yet? You don't really think you'll have just one, do you? Bwahahahaha :haha: @) :/
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Thanks for putting up the video on gearbox’s Gary, I’ve a few tanks, I’m just finishing a complete rebuild on a Tamiya 1/16 full option Sherman that I purchased some time ago as a none runner, then I hope to make a start on the Panzer III, I’ll keep you posted.
Attachments
E82201A7-5B3D-46A3-8639-ED4B49616AE1.jpeg
F3A1B9FE-A95B-43FD-9DB0-D3907698612B.jpeg
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That's the lower hull I need for an E8. Looks good.

The comparison tests between brass and steel "5:1" GBs, but first the stock "3:1" in a PIV. Not impressed with the "3:1", but the steel dual ratio work great. Still about 5 scale mph too fast, but I can live with it.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

This is stock Heng Long Panzer III with modyfied gearbox as I show in my first post.
phpBB [video]
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That looks pretty good, but most guys don't have the option of modifying gears so their best bet is to just change the gearbox.

Unless you are offering to modify gears for people?

Return to “General Discussion”