Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:( :D
Six months tank-sober, then, when idly surfing through Ebay I chanced upon a well-configured HL Panther G, sporting metal tracks. In a blur, it began to feature in 'The same old (familiar) story'. :thumbdown: Before I could summon up the anti-tank genie, I'd clicked the 'buy' button. :/

Still, when the tank arrived today, I comforted myself with the knowledge that it will make a very attractive 'runner' in the garden, now that my Tamiya Panther has sacrificed (temporarily) its gearboxes and flash unit to the Jagdpanther project. It's new, but had been upgraded with metal tracks before being shipped. A pack of uprated springs was also included. Another feature to sweetened the deal is the presence of steel (not zinc or nylon) gearboxes inside, along with a V.6.1 unit. Then, there's a pleasing extra I've not seen before: a USB battery charger, designed specifically for the supplied Li-ion battery. I like the fact that it has a handy LED warning light, that flashes during charging, but turns steady green when the battery's ready to go. All chargers should have some visual warning device to indicate charge status, IMHO. At the same time, tanks delivered from Germany, as this was, routinely include a two-pin European mains charger that's useless in the UK, unless you happen to have an adaptor for it.
It has been said before, and often lately, that HL have really raised the RTR bar lately. The camo job is good enough to remain un-tinkered with, apart from a dab, or two, from some Tamiya weathering sticks, I think. Again, the accessory pack includes all the usual tools, spare tracks, battling mushroom (it's IR and BB), and more. Whilst not cutting edge, they're still made to a standard that takes them beyond the 'toy' category. Last year, I bought a set of late Tiger1 metal wheels, and now I'm thinking of how much better this model would look with them :think: No.......not more expense :/ :/
Here's pic of a Panther running on Tiger 1/2 style late metal wheels:
Several members have fitted Tiger-type wheels to the Panther, with impressive results- including our Hermann Bix's well-received Panther Z-Fuss project
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14376&hilit=Panthe ... tal+wheels
I seem to remember that Tankmad also fitted Tiger wheels or, if not, contributed to a thread that described the mod.
Anyway, I'd say that the current iteration of Heng Long's Panther moves the model out of any toy category, and almost into a collector's category (no, ...not the refuse collector... :lolno: :lolno: )
The Tank addict's collection, that is. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by Jimster »

Man, that’s a nice looking tank from the get go. Great crisp photography as well. Post a video of it on maneuvers when you get a chance.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Do you have the ebay link still?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Great score!
I have one also god a future project.
Bring the 6.0 it moves well and sounds great too.
The IR system is compatible with others and the apple is fairly discrete .
Be cool to see what you do with it Mr 43rd
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Looks great, Roy. Good score. I'm waiting for you to explore the electronics. It's a 6.1, so what features does it have that my 6.0 JP doesn't? I think the only things the JP doesn't have are barrel recoil with the airsoft and smoke from the barrel. Did you get lucky with either of those?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jim: I use the iPhone 8 Plus much of the time, as it's actually difficult to take a bad photo with one (so long as you get the light, perspective, and other basics right). I also have a couple of Canon EOS SLRs, and a bag full of lenses. These days, though, I like the quick and satisfying results I can get with an iPhone... without all the palaver of setting up the EOS.
I guess, if you want to share info and experience via photos, then one should aim to make the pics clear and crisp. :thumbup: That way, you can see which whisky (Scottish spelling) or Bourbon another contributor has in the background (or even foreground :D ) of his shots ;)

John: It was a one-off sale, but the German vendor is a regular on Ebay by the looks of it.

HB: Yeah, I was lucky to find it so well equipped from the outset. For the moment, it's just going to be a runner, as I want to paint the Cromwell, Comet, and then the Jagdpanther- if the weather gods look down favourably upon me...

Gary: I've only just charged the batteries and, as luck would have it we've had high humidity (and unusual sticky armpits) with thunderstorms up here in the Highlands, whilst they've been roasting down there in England. Thunder tomorrow too, but I might find a break for a quick trial run. :thumbup: If not, it'll be the Schwimmpanzer's turn! It's a really nice looking tank. I have some Tamiya spares for the Panther, and Jagdpanzer, which I might graft on where the detail needs it.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Are you making fun of my cheap American whiskEy and iphone11 pro max? Just kidding, man. iPhones can make good photographers out of anyone but it takes an “eye” to set up the shot. And if I may be frank, a good attitude and friendly personality really help make a thread enjoyable to follow. Carry on with your Panther and I will surely follow along.
Now I’ll have just one more half shot. Cheers my friend.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Mention Bourbon and I am summoned. Sweet Panther there, Doc. I look at it and it is a blank Canvas for a huge Detail Job to follow. ;o) I'll be following along, sir. ( How does your provided commander figure look out of the box? Pretty good features and molded of hard plastic? Let me know if you have one of the older rubbery types with distorted facial features and I can go through spares and mail you a good one if you need it )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Hi Roy, a nice pick up. Good to see you didn’t even try to justify it be saying “ I need it because...”. :D

There are versions of the new Heng Longs that are starting to make Tamiya appear redundant, in my eyes at least. Same for Taigen running gear - totally gutting a Heng Long and replacing everything is going to be a fading memory. Which will be kind of disappointing - I’ve enjoyed the plastic surgery.

One area you do need to address are those periscopes.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D
Estnische wrote:Hi Roy, a nice pick up. Good to see you didn’t even try to justify it be saying “ I need it because...”. :D

There are versions of the new Heng Longs that are starting to make Tamiya appear redundant, in my eyes at least. Same for Taigen running gear - totally gutting a Heng Long and replacing everything is going to be a fading memory. Which will be kind of disappointing - I’ve enjoyed the plastic surgery.

One area you do need to address are those periscopes.
Ha! Well, I gave up on excuses (and vanity) when I entered my 'twilight' years, Brett. :lolno: It seems to me, life is too short to make them- and defend them :D
That said, I have an older brother In the US who still uses a mirror, picks matching clothes, and will never admit to being wrong- ever. I'm convinced that this would still be the case after waterboarding. ;)
Yes, I'll certainly make an effort to find convincing-looking periscopes for not only, the JP and the Panthers, but also that StuG IV project that's sitting on the (unlit) back burner.

As for the potential for HL to knock Tamiya off the top spot, well, I'll say that Tamiya still makes the best alloy hulls, and running gear- by a country mile. Superficially, and definitely in terms of Electronic components, HL is beginning to match, and even overtake Tamiya. (Hey! No need to arrive just yet, Rad :haha: ).

Here's a visual comparison of the Panther, which is still waiting for grab handles, and all the other add ons, and my dusty old Tamiya Panther.
(Note to self:) One of these days, I shall make a real effort to paint the Tamiya properly, and age it a tad.
I forgot to mention that the HL Panther comes with PE grills for the engine deck already fitted. As you can see.The Panther kit from Tamiya didn't even supply them (though I got an excellent set with my Jagdpanther)

Return to “General Discussion”