Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Sub
Sergeant

Re: Grammer.

Post by Sub »

Hi,
Love this topic, in the US my US relatives
Nissan car is pronounced NEEsan, and the country Iraq pronounced EYEraq.

So my question is why dont they pronounce it EERAQ ?. :crazy:
Regards to all
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

If you think the every day stuff is strange, try the real estate market. Suddenly a single family home becomes a "detached property", a duplex is a "semi-detached property" a town or row house becomes a "terraced property", a vacation rental becomes a "holiday let", a camping trailer somehow turns into a "caravan", and on and on. When they said we were two great nations separated by a common language they sure weren't kidding. The best bet is to just take it all with a smile. You know, don't get your panties in a bunch. No wait, that's, Don't get your knickers in a twist. @) 8) :haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The browser spell check may be in Ameri/glish but thank our lucky stars that a Cockney didn’t invent the thing!! :wtf: :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Sub.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

I'm still trying to find some of that sodder so I can finally fix my tank wiring...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The rebellious spellings are something we can get accustomed to :/ :D ; but, as I become ever grumpier with age, I find the relatively recent import of 'Valley Girl' speak into British schools, and elsewhere to be entirely exasperating. This 'Uptalking' trend drives me nuts!!! The rising terminal-or 'Uptalk'/'Upspeak'- where all statements begin to sound like questions; where intonation goes up at the end of every phrase, and where all of this is joined together by the extreme misuse and overuse of 'like' @) @)) makes me want to reply with knuckles >:< :D Uptalkers sound vacuous, weak, uncertain- and, er punchable!
As if this emerging trend isn't murdering spoken English enough, a new and hideous twist is 'Valley Speak' being delivered with 'Vocal Fry' (AKA 'Creaky Voice'), where speakers begin to sound like Geiger counters.
Here's an example:
phpBB [video]

If you watch any Movies, TV shows, Documentaries, etc., made before the 1990s in the US and UK, you would have heard normal, age-old speech patterns. Sadly, in the last 10-20 years, it appears that
Roy Thinnes' 'Invaders', or Ray Bradbury's 'Bodysnatchers' have taken people over, and replaced them with Uptalking, Geiger-voiced aliens... :O
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Carrion
Recruit

Post by Carrion »

done worry in the shires we still speak funny at least when tourists are around and pretend to like weird wood to freak out those from not round ere.
If all else fails your just not using the right sized hammer.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max-U52 wrote:If you think the every day stuff is strange, try the real estate market. Suddenly a single family home becomes a "detached property", a duplex is a "semi-detached property" a town or row house becomes a "terraced property", a vacation rental becomes a "holiday let", a camping trailer somehow turns into a "caravan", and on and on. When they said we were two great nations separated by a common language they sure weren't kidding. The best bet is to just take it all with a smile. You know, don't get your panties in a bunch. No wait, that's, Don't get your knickers in a twist. @) 8) :haha: :haha:
Real Estate ??? Ohh you mean Estate Agents :haha:
And if there was a poll held in the USA how many would pronounce Vase as Varze or as VaaaZe, indeed the film "You'Ve got mail has one of the protagonists saying it one way them immediately saying it the other way so our TransAtlantic friends don't appear to have much confidence in the Anglophobe Mr Websters interpretation of the Queens English :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Carrion
Recruit

Post by Carrion »

Max-U52 wrote:If you think the every day stuff is strange, try the real estate market. Suddenly a single family home becomes a "detached property", a duplex is a "semi-detached property" a town or row house becomes a "terraced property", a vacation rental becomes a "holiday let", a camping trailer somehow turns into a "caravan", and on and on. When they said we were two great nations separated by a common language they sure weren't kidding. The best bet is to just take it all with a smile. You know, don't get your panties in a bunch. No wait, that's, Don't get your knickers in a twist. @) 8) :haha: :haha:
when i was buying my place it was amazing the linguistic lengths the agents would do to get around a very basic set of instructions.

1) bungalow.
2) flat access to it.
3) A drive AND garage
4) Nothing listed (historical preservation orders for the unfamiliar)

So i get offered a property the Eiger would call a bit steep to get to, with no parking or garage that had 3 stories and was a grade 1 list IN a flood zone
If all else fails your just not using the right sized hammer.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yeah, I've learned a little bit about listed properties and there's no way you would get me to buy something like that. We have kind of the same thing over here in different cities that have historical societies that want to dictate everything right down to the color you can paint your house. I would never buy something like that. It's my house I'll do what I want to with it and if somebody's going to give me static about it they can just keep it.

And just for the record, I'm glad that Shaun started this thread because I was thinking of starting something similar, except I was going to call it, "Learning to speak English". :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Off topic”