Torro vs Mato

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
hexbugspider
Recruit

Torro vs Mato

Post by hexbugspider »

Hey everyone, I've recently gotten back into the hobby of rc tanks and I am looking for another one to accompany my henglong m41a3!

So, ideally I would love an abrams, but a tiger or leopard 2 would suffice. Since i'm in the uk the main website i'd be using is tankzone.co.uk, they stock mato's all metal line and torro's "pro" line.

I would use my tank hard outdoors, taking it through deep mud/water and sand. I understand that no tank is truly waterproof but there are measures that can be taken to boost it's water resistance.

Sadly neither torro nor mato seem to make an abrams.. There is the tamiya kit, however in the uk the cost of that would be around £1200...
So the verdict is, torro leopard 2 pro edition or mato full metal tiger 1?
I've seen many videos of both tanks being driven hard so I assume they can take it, however which one is superior? At a glance the mato appears a little crude in some places due to the metal casting whereas the torro's plastic shell could limit it in structural strength?

Please help a noob out,

Thanks!
-Nick. :D

mato- http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/mato_inf_t1.htm
torro- http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/torro_inf_leo2a6.htm
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Torro vs Mato

Post by Max-U52 »

Hello, and welcome aboard from the Motor City. I think most of the guys here, myself included, will advise you to stay as far away from tankzone as you can possibly get. In the UK the favorite vendor of this forum is Dave at Forgebear tanks. Tank Zone has a horrible reputation and many guys here have been burned by them in the past.

Next, someone is sure to point out that at this forum the proper etiquette is to first start a thread in the introduce yourself section and let us know a little bit about yourself. I'm not really a stickler for that and I don't really care, but some of the guys here take it pretty seriously so if you want to make friends it would be a good idea to post a little thread in the introduce yourself section.

As for the tanks, I've owned both Mato all metal and Torro tanks and I will take the Torro everyday, hands down. The metal that Mato uses to build their tanks is not the highest quality and can cause a lot of problems, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Dave, on the other hand, provides excellent customer service and is an authorized dealer for Toro and taigen tanks. Most of the guys here love him and if you get ahold of him you will find out for yourself exactly why.

So once again, welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Also, if you click on my username to get to my profile and then click on "see all users started topics" you'll find a thread in there where I built an Abrams, the HL, and just went totally crazy on it. Metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, road wheels, brace the inside, custom paint, etc, etc. That thread may give you a few ideas of what can be done with the HL Abrams and you might decide that's the way to go. If not, I always recommend the tiger one to start with. No other tank has been reproduced in model form more than the tiger one and there are more parts and accessories available for that tank than any other.
Last edited by Max-U52 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Double post. Doh!
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

hexbugspider
Recruit

Post by hexbugspider »

Max-U52 wrote:Hello, and welcome aboard from the Motor City. I think most of the guys here, myself included, will advise you to stay as far away from tankzone as you can possibly get. In the UK the favorite vendor of this forum is Dave at Forgebear tanks. Tank Zone has a horrible reputation and many guys here have been burned by them in the past.

Next, someone is sure to point out that at this forum the proper etiquette is to first start a thread in the introduce yourself section and let us know a little bit about yourself. I'm not really a stickler for that and I don't really care, but some of the guys here take it pretty seriously so if you want to make friends it would be a good idea to post a little thread in the introduce yourself section.

As for the tanks, I've owned both Mato all metal and Torro tanks and I will take the Torro everyday, hands down. The metal that Mato uses to build their tanks is not the highest quality and can cause a lot of problems, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Dave, on the other hand, provides excellent customer service and is an authorized dealer for Toro and taigen tanks. Most of the guys here love him and if you get ahold of him you will find out for yourself exactly why.

So once again, welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here.

Oops sorry ! I will post a thread in the newcomers forum shortly.. So torro it is! From forgebear tanks. So should the question really be taigen Vs torro?

Also huge thanks for the quick reply, I didn't know tankzone was that bad!
hexbugspider
Recruit

Post by hexbugspider »

Max-U52 wrote:Also, if you click on my username to get to my profile and then click on "see all users started topics" you'll find a thread in there where I built an Abrams, the HL, and just went totally crazy on it. Metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, road wheels, brace the inside, custom paint, etc, etc. That thread may give you a few ideas of what can be done with the HL Abrams and you might decide that's the way to go. If not, I always recommend the tiger one to start with. No other tank has been reproduced in model form more than the tiger one and there are more parts and accessories available for that tank than any other.

Okay I'll look into it, thanks :D
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Hi, you wont go far wrong with a taigen or torro tank, as for Tankzone I have had several dealings with
them, and on the majority of occasions there has been some sort of an issue, luckily I haven't been bitten
as hard as some forum members.
As for Dave and Julie (FORGEBEAR) once you place your order you can sit back knowing your in safe hands,
your item arrives quickly and well packaged, if you contact FORGEBEAR Dave responds in no time, whereas
Tankzone don't bother to reply.

regards john :wave:
hexbugspider
Recruit

Post by hexbugspider »

Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:Hi, you wont go far wrong with a taigen or torro tank, as for Tankzone I have had several dealings with
them, and on the majority of occasions there has been some sort of an issue, luckily I haven't been bitten
as hard as some forum members.
As for Dave and Julie (FORGEBEAR) once you place your order you can sit back knowing your in safe hands,
your item arrives quickly and well packaged, if you contact FORGEBEAR Dave responds in no time, whereas
Tankzone don't bother to reply.

regards john :wave:
That's great to hear that forgebear actually provides a legitimate service.. Am I wrong to believe the torro/taigen are the same brand? On forgebears site, tanks like the t-34-85 seem to go by the name torro/taigen so i'm a little confused haha.
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Quite often the Torro comes in the wooden box, also make sure your tank has the steel gears and not zinc
ones.

Return to “General Discussion”