Out And About with a Tiger.

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Carrion
Recruit

Out And About with a Tiger.

Post by Carrion »

As i am using my tanks for keeping my sanity at the moment i am putting some considerable track miles onto them

So here are some pics and vids of my Torro IR tiger 1 being abused on a local footpath.
given i live in Devon its going to be on a hill.

total millage for the day was 1.8 miles between 2 batteries to add to the mile on wednesday.

The end goal, the river

Starting out. it was nice and gentle

If you go down to the woods today your getting a surprise!

Sat hull down in a gully

the open fields of Bishops-Kursk

Hull down at the halfway point

Making Tracks in the dirt

Got a lot of waves and thumbs up along the main road as i played in the mown grass .

the start of the decent.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.cavanna/v ... 992017414/

Playing in the woods

https://www.facebook.com/paul.cavanna/v ... 993782414/

I am finding that the tiger isnt as good off road as the heng long T34 as it has a tendency to slide all over as it has plastic tracks at the moment and it is also very bouncy when it reaches an obstacle with a tendency to bounce over it instead of climbing over it.
it is also very top heavy and prone to, in the 4x4 parlance, falling over pissed despite that there is a metal lower hull included.

so i am thinking that adding some small custom lead weights to the lower chassis to lower the centre of gravity and also increase the pressure that it is being applied to the tracks.

the t34 has already clocked over 20 miles and a track retensioning in a few weeks.
If all else fails your just not using the right sized hammer.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Out And About with a Tiger.

Post by Jimster »

That’s is very cool and a great way to enjoy your Tiger. Beautiful scenery.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Decent metal tracks on the tiger will crush and grip the grass better, I've found. They'll also add to gravity's pull :D Of course. Added weight means more work for the motors, batteries and MFU to do, and if they hold up over a few miles, you've got a good 'un :thumbup:
My Taigen Tiger, with metal running gear, has had has some pretty rough treatment- more than the others, but still continues to clank along nicely. Do consider a track (and related running gear) upgrade.
Interestingly, I've found my T34 also handles much better than any of my Tigers (Tamiya and Taigen) :)

Your travelling Tiger 1 saga (and thanks for the journey!) brings Tony Hawks TV doc to mind- 'Round Ireland with a Fridge'. :D Perhaps you could try: 'Crossing Devon- South to North- with a Tiger 1' :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

If you go down to the woods today ...............today’s the days the lunatics walk Their Tiiiiiiiiiigers !!!!!! :haha:
Brilliant idea and thanks for sharing :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Carrion
Recruit

Post by Carrion »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Decent metal tracks on the tiger will crush and grip the grass better, I've found. They'll also add to gravity's pull :D Of course. Added weight means more work for the motors, batteries and MFU to do, and if they hold up over a few miles, you've got a good 'un :thumbup:
My Taigen Tiger, with metal running gear, has had has some pretty rough treatment- more than the others, but still continues to clank along nicely. Do consider a track (and related running gear) upgrade.
Interestingly, I've found my T34 also handles much better than any of my Tigers (Tamiya and Taigen) :)

Your travelling Tiger 1 saga (and thanks for the journey!) brings Tony Hawks TV doc to mind- 'Round Ireland with a Fridge'. :D Perhaps you could try: 'Crossing Devon- South to North- with a Tiger 1' :D
it has metal gearboxs and drive wheels and idlers. i learnt from my jadgpanther mistake of getting plastic ones.
the road wheels are plastic and may get upgraded as and when but i have some metal track on the way.

As to crossing devon. Nope thats far to much like exercise. although i have done it a few times in a landy once for LRO magazine
Carrion
Recruit

Post by Carrion »

out last night for a bit of a play after semi reinforcing the plastic upperdeck to reduce the turret bounce. it really needs a 4th attachment pint as its the turret to gear connection at the front that doesnt have it that is now the cause of the remaining bounce.

installing the metal tracks has definitely helped reduce the livelyness and installing a 3300mah battery has done wonders for the running time

shame i forgot the memory card for the small action camera i am trying to use for drivers eye views.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.cavanna/v ... 419137414/

through the long grass

https://www.facebook.com/paul.cavanna/v ... 423872414/

Climbing the hill. evidently route finding is an issue

https://www.facebook.com/paul.cavanna/v ... 426822414/

down and around the mound.

Return to “Show Off”