Challenger 2 & T-90

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rhat33
Recruit

Challenger 2 & T-90

Post by Rhat33 »

Hi, l've recently purchased two Heng Long tanks, at a very good price. I have now found out why, both do not have a fire switch in the cupola. So to find out how much is missing inside, does anyone know how to take apart the Challenger 2 & T-90 ?
Thanks in advance
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Challenger 2 & T-90

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Hi. I guess you are not very familiar with HengLong tanks. The newer version don't carry the switch you refer to but instead use a safety button on the transmitter. It's all in the supplied manuals.

By the way, when you joined here you were requested to introduce yourself in the introduction part of the forum. It's not to late ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rhat33
Recruit

Post by Rhat33 »

Hi,
Sorry, my bad. Yep, relatively new to the r/c world. Dad gave me an old Heng Long Tiger, which needs a lot of tlc to get it back up and running. While looking for advice and parts, I came across the two items (Challenger 2 & T-90), I initially bought the T-90, then he asked if I wanted to buy the Challenger (so both cost total price - £150 - both new and in the boxes with all the parts). Naively I checked them out in regards to working, including the BB function, and compared them to the Tiger, which it seems was a mistake. So now I'm looking into the BB/Infrared part. Will check the docs out, there is probably something I have missed, not surprising (old age excuse). I do know that they both run ok, so any advice would be greatly received. Now the missus is asking where I'm going to keep them :-)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rhat33 wrote:Now the missus is asking where I'm going to keep them :-)
Tell her. . . . "The same place I'll be keeping all the other tanks I'm getting. . . ." :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Firm...but true :haha:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rhat33
Recruit

Post by Rhat33 »

Hmmm......not sure that will go down too well. Plus she gave in too easily when I said I was going to purchase one or two r/c tanks :-(

Ok - me being a muppet, and should have read instructions, now seen how to fire BB. Challenger docs say to use on/off switch in opposite hatch, but switch is missing (may have fallen through into turret - so next question is, to access internal Challenger parts, is it a case of undoing the screws underneath the tank, or are there some secret movements I need to do beforehand ?
Looking forward, how easy is it to add infra-red device to out of the box tanks ?
Thanks
adeh
Recruit

Post by adeh »

The Challenger 2 is quite easy to work on.
Just remove the screws on the underside and the deck will detach from the hull.
Removing the screws on the turret ring will release the turret from the deck.
You might want to remove the plugs from the main board to make things even easier.

The latest V6 Heng Long tanks already have all the infra red pats fitted.

For the older ones (RX18 onwards) it's just a matter of getting the infra red receiver (mushroom) and the infra red emitter led.
They need wiring to a 5 pin plug that then pushes into the socket on the mainboard.
The ir receiver sits in the turret hatch and the led can either be strapped to the outside of the barrel or fitted behind a hole drilled somewhere near the barrel.
Rhat33
Recruit

Post by Rhat33 »

Thanks adeh
tankme

Post by tankme »

Label cables and/or take pics of the wires "before" removing them. You will thank yourself later.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

tankme wrote:Label cables and/or take pics of the wires "before" removing them. You will thank yourself later.
Get those little self adhesive coloured dots, fold them around the wires to colour code them :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”