Filler Primer

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
PershingLover
Corporal

Filler Primer

Post by PershingLover »

We all know 3D printing creates fill lines that don't look good.

I have seen that automotive filler primer works great to fill in a large amount of those lines. Give it a try, see if it works!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Filler Primer

Post by midlife306 »

I always file, fill & sand prior to applying white plastic primer, then when dry I apply red oxide primer, once dry I wet sand all over removing any blemishes as I go, I know when to stop when I start to see hints of the white primer.
Using my method you can’t tell it’s been 3D printed, I leave the inside bare so if people don’t believe me I can open it up.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I tend to start out with an automotive filler primer (large yellow topped spray can in Halfords in the UK), followed by 240 grit wet sanding, rinse and repeat until it starts looking smooth, then move onto red oxide plastic primer (also from Halfords) and wet 400 grit until its where I want it to be.

Wet sanding is definitely the way forward, dry sanding clogs the grit and causes scratches.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Martin, you missed out the bit about you print in 0.06 layer height.
For 1/16 I use 0.08 or 0.12, for 1/6 I use 0.16 or 0.2 dependant on how much of the will to live I have left lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

An easy way to check the sanding is to apply a guide coat, lets you see the high and low spots as you prepare for top coats of paint.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I tend to filler prime then sand as the primer seems to highlight what needs doing. Once I’m happy i prime it again.
As previous posts say. I use the yellow top auto primer followed by what ever standard primer I happen to have or more yellow top
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “3D Printing”