Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Re: Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

I'll be following since I'm itching to get back onto finishing mine which is a Mato metal M4A3(75) with Nick Aquilar upper hull.

Rich Johnson's work on RC Universe always makes for a great reference. He's, by far, the best I've come across for Sherman research & variants that he's built. I've lost count of the number he owns.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Estnische wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Yes Roy, it will one way or another.

I'm planning to go with the M34A1 mantlet, mostly because it is readily available. I got mine from Forgebear.

Exhibited Brute - have you seen this thread? Lee's desert Sherman has a build thread for it somewhere on t'internet.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27089

Where are you getting your low bustle turret? I'm planning on doing something like this (not sure where I got the pics).

I haven’t looked at any build threads for them. Just looked at my book of Sherman’s. I did that with the turret for my a2 and firefly. Or more to the point got my dad to before I started to build myself.

As for the mantle I have one of those somewhere and the turret forgebear says he can get me one from Canada so he’s ordering me on in.

With the turret one from the firefly kit would do but the loaders hatch would need removing and filling as they only had the commanders split hatch on. You can also get mato metal turrets now that include the ir barrel and recoil and so on but again the loaders hatch would need to be filled. Easy to do. Glue plasticard on the inside and stick some filler on the outside till level
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

This is where I’m at with mine
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Low bustle 75mm turrets with a choice ofM34 or M34A1 mantlets are also available from Nick Aguilar in Texas, tho at the moment nothing seems to be crossing the Atlantic due to the travel ban.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tiger6 wrote:Low bustle 75mm turrets with a choice ofM34 or M34A1 mantlets are also available from Nick Aguilar in Texas, tho at the moment nothing seems to be crossing the Atlantic due to the travel ban.
What about the Pacific?
Nick also provides a 75 barrel. But all his hulls and turrets are for Tamiya turret rotation.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I have no specific information regarding the Pacific - I can only go on what I've read regarding shipping to and from Europe...

As for mounting to a HL hull, its pretty simple to take a scrap HL turret base and cut it down - there is a convenient lip on the HL base that is the same diameter as the opening in the turret on a Tamiya, that provides a feature to cut up against. Cut the lip and locking tabs off of the bottom of the Tamiya turret and insert your donor HL base. Add glue of your choice, or just press fit, and you are done.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I only asked about the Pacific because Mr Estnische is in Australia :thumbup:

I purchased some Taigen Tiger 1 turret bottoms off of forgebear for that actual purpose of making them fit Nicks turrets :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

There is also a chap in Russia that does a resin kit of the low bustle 75mm turret with the early mantle and a single hatch how ever at 75 pounds I would rather pay less money for a metal turret and fill the hatch in myself
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I'm familiar with that chap in Russia, he has a lot of stuff that looks awfully familiar...
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Tiger6 wrote:I'm familiar with that chap in Russia, he has a lot of stuff that looks awfully familiar...
Does a large amount of figures and a few turret conversions from what I gather

Return to “Heng Long Builds”