KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: KV-1

Post by Soeren »

tankme wrote:I just picked up the most comprehensive KV book I've ever seen. KV TECHNICAL HISTORY & VARIANTS by by Neil Stokes. It's a rivet counters dream. Not only does it have actual pictures of the real tanks, it has line drawings of every nut and bolt on the KV/SU-152 series tanks/TDs with explanations as to why and when the changes were made. It's on Amazon for $180 US, but I found it for $117 at Aberdeen Bookstore in Colorado. It's worth every penny for all of the time I've spent on the internet looking for detail pics. It describes welds, plate construction, external tanks, stowage types/locations, wheel types, armor modifications, turret types, and field mods just to name a few things. If you want one place to look for all your KV variant builds, this is the book. 560 pages of KV goodness... :)
51BletxsEQL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion, but I wont go overboard here. The Trumpeter kit has great reviews and according to 4BO website it should be a perfect smaller scale reference. If I get overly confident I might try the ABER PE upgrade on that, but that would end up in a lot of scratch building of details for the Tamiya KV1.

I was so happy buying this for just an enjoyable build, as I didnt found my big boy pants again to go back to the Kitbash Tiger tank.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This should be really well executed as usual Soeren
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

This kit goes together really well. All bits great. The suspension feels really strong as it is and the chassis has some minor flex in the front area only. Really like it so far.
I build the trumpeter kit alongside that has some strange misshapen panels, but dust nd mud should take care of that. Comparison for both, Tamiya has some stepped weld lines along the side of the hull where it meets the top and some more welds might need to be added on the turret as well.
The air intake on the back will be mixed with the Aber mesh and a modified Tamiya part. Because the pe deflector from the aber set looks too flimsy to me. And I would fear to break it when handling the tank.

Also I got a size comparison with the Leo 2a7.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Order a support brace or henntec idler which does both :)
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

It dosent look like a brace is needed. But even if I find it to be necessary later your recommendations sound like some reasonable options.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

It will need one, trust me. A friend had a KV2 and didn’t fit one and the front chassis flexed/twisted...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Henntec idlers is way to go. Too much flex without.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Henne doesn't offer a kv idler unfortunately. I will consider a custom option. But maybe I will start with a self made brace first. For the paints not taking paid to I tried a Montana spray can and it looks like it is tougher that brushed on paint.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Soeren,
The Brace is a good idea. Even my original metal Taigen KV lower hull deformed at the front over time. I eventually had to replace it. Check with Henntec and see if their IS-2 brace will work. Hulls look similar in width and both use a single point idler attachment at the front. As for the paint, use Tamiya primer and your airbrush or rattlecan paints will adhere straightaway.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I already contacted Henntec. He told me that there is no of the shelf option available. Unfortunately.

For priming in general I had great experience with Montana spray cans up to now. The hulls and bits also went well with standard Acrylic's from Vallejo et al. Only those Tamiya tracks didn't take the acrylics at all. So after Ad Lavs spray can recommendation I reconsidered and tried a few spare links with available Montana cans and it sticked much better. Will try tonight after almost 4 days of curing how resilient this is though

Return to “Other Builds”