Hi

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
PhiliusM
Recruit

Hi

Post by PhiliusM »

I'm new to RC Tanks. I have always had a facination for the real thing. I have been to the Tank Museum at Bovington many times.

I have a fleet of RC helicoptors but I thought I would give Tanks a go. At the moment I'm looking at getting a Tiger 1 but I am undecided as to which make to go for.

Overall price is a factor, not helped by the fact that some of the earmarked funds have had to be spent on new garden fencing ;)
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Re: Hi

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Welcome to the forums. I would strongly suggest getting the Tiger 1 mid varient as it shoots BBS and has barrel recoil. If you want to go down the IR route then any of the tiger variants would fit your needs. I personally do not have any clubs near me, so I went for BB shooting and set up targets to shoot at. Great fun.

If you are interested in IR battles, post where you are from, lots of people on the forum here will help you find a club that fits your needs.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Welcome to the Forum which now becomes YOUR Forum :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
The Tiger 1 is by far the most popular choice of first Tank and rightly so, It is big and chunky, It is big inside so that newbie fingers are less likely to pull out wires and generally foul things up, It has more upgrades available than any other Tank and it just looks right,
BUT THAT is not as important as deciding which dealer to purchase your Tiger1 from,
Beware there are some truly evil dealers who will take your money and if they deliver anything it will be a clunker and they will never sort out any shortcomings :thumbdown:
Enjoy the Forum and please do ask lots of questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard! The Tiger 1 is an excellent choice. Such an iconic and robust machine.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Welcome!
You basically will have a couple options for starter tanks and your budget is the deciding factor...
Low Budget - Heng Long
Medium Budget - Taigen (plastic versions)
Fair Budget - Taigen (Metal)
Upper budget - Tamiya

Plus add-ons & upgrades which can easily double the $ on a low budget tank.. (These are my opinions, and YMMV).

(My first tank was a HL JP, and my second was a used Taigen KV-1 metal version, both still battling after a couple years of abuse & upgrades...)
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Hi and welcome! You have come to the right place but be aware that we are all individuals with differing preferences so, do seek advice but ultimately it's you that has to be happy with your first purchase so take your time and do your homework before buying.

As said, the Tiger 1 is a good choice as there are several manufacturers making them and in several types and equipment spec levels. There are endless upgrades and mods available too BUT there is one very important thing to remember. Right now the top manufacturers are uping their game by providing more and more electronic features so you really will miss out if you don't buy the very latest versions (beware of sales lit claiming it's s latest version - often it's not!). The latest versions are no more expensive.

For real value, the new Henglong Tiger 1 with version 6.0 electronics will not disappoint, especially when it can be purchased from UK eBay sellers for under £90 delivered.

You then move to Taigen / Torro examples which are more expensive but include metal upgraded parts in various levels. Forgebear is your UK supplier here.

Next is the BB or IR debate. For me the gun flash and barrel recoil is a great touch of realism and by ability to IR battle is great fun but beware that each manufacturer has their own IR standards. Custom upgrade boards can overcome this but are not cheap.

Hope this all helps. Remember, take your time, do lots of research and get it right first time :thumbup:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
spee34
Private

Post by spee34 »

hello and welcome here :)

best regards

Dominik ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”