HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by jarndice »

Planning on doing the same with a WPL and a Bruder low loader and like you a 5th wheel from Will :thumbup:
My first dry run with a Panzer 4 on the back produced two items that need addressing, The Bruder trailer hitch needs changing to a proper King Pin and the mirrors need extending, So I shall be grinding a bolt head to shape then with a couple of large penny washers fitting it to the trailer but as to the mirrors I am open to suggestions.
I shall of course be stealing your ideas Max :haha:
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is set up so I can also pull it behind the tanker truck with the dolly

And there's also a height issue between the bruder trailer and the top of the 5th wheel, so I kept the original bruder kingpin to fit the dolly, and turned up an adapter for the fifth wheel, which is also a spacer to get the ride height right.

I don't think I'll do anything with the mirrors except keep track of how many people notice they should stick out a tad further. :haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Truck done. Made a video to show the guy I'm making it for.

phpBB [video]

The trailer is very close, just the ramps to sort out, but the worm gears are coming from china, can't find them in the states, and with the corona debacle who knows how long it will take them to get here? Oh well, at least tomorrow it's supposed to be almost 60F (15 for you centigrade fans) so at least i should get some good test drive video outdoors.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

midlife306 wrote:It’s the meillerwagon (sp) that I’ll need to make next. The Hannomag SS100 will have to have some grunt me thinks....
I do like the thought of the mobile crane though Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need a motor unit from me I think hehe.......
We have plenty of POWER and grunt ;)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Max-U52 wrote:
midlife306 wrote:It’s the meillerwagon (sp) that I’ll need to make next. The Hannomag SS100 will have to have some grunt me thinks....
I do like the thought of the mobile crane though Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So now that you've seen the website I skyped you that link for (can't take credit for that, another member posted the link in a different thread) are you still planning to make a meillerwagen or are you thinking about buying the kit? The one he has I really like is the liquid oxygen trailer, but it's rather pricey.

Here's the site we speak of

https://www.fertigungswerk16.at/shop/

Very, very cool stuff, but I still don't know how it will take to being RCed. Even the trailers would probably need bearings and what-not.

Awesome, nice work. Great trailer and rig

I think you need a set of dual winches on the back to hoist that tank onto the trailer.....

phpBB [video]
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Didn't you design a motor holder for two 380 motors? That would probably do the trick, but I have to admit the two speed tranny is pretty cool. I think the reason it has trouble with weight is in the board. It will shut down, but if I turn it off and on again it continues for a bit more, and i can turn it off and on several times before it gets seriously low. I think it's trying to draw more power than the board feels safe with so the damn thing just shuts down. This one is for a friend, but I'm going to build one of my own and use a proper 20 amp esc and see how that does. So far it seems to do much better with the dolly than the 5th wheel, maybe because of the extra weight the 5th wheel puts on the suspension? IDK, but once I get it sorted it's going to be a very sweet rig, with powered ramps and some cool tail lights. @) :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Max-U52 wrote:Didn't you design a motor holder for two 380 motors? That would probably do the trick, but I have to admit the two speed tranny is pretty cool. I think the reason it has trouble with weight is in the board. It will shut down, but if I turn it off and on again it continues for a bit more, and i can turn it off and on several times before it gets seriously low. I think it's trying to draw more power than the board feels safe with so the damn thing just shuts down. This one is for a friend, but I'm going to build one of my own and use a proper 20 amp esc and see how that does. So far it seems to do much better with the dolly than the 5th wheel, maybe because of the extra weight the 5th wheel puts on the suspension? IDK, but once I get it sorted it's going to be a very sweet rig, with powered ramps and some cool tail lights. @) :haha:
I have twin 130, 180 or 380 motor mounts for wpl truck sizes. We have a dual 540 and 37mm mounts aswell and we now have 3 different winch setups. Next dual winch with bigger geared motors here soon. I want to try and winch 25kg+ for a special project hehe
You know I'm daft, that's the only reason haha

Forgot to mention dual 25mm brushes mount maybe summer for a ludicrous drifting 8x8 truck
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The problem appears to have been the batteries. This is with one of the little 380s I run in trucks and it runs good with long life. I didn't time anything, but I'm guessing at least 15 or 20 minutes of continuous run time. Here it's pulling the 6 lb plastic Sherman. I think the added unsprung weight in the metal rims and dual tires helps quite a bit. I may throw stock tires on it and test that theory. @)

phpBB [video]

And this is with the 14 lb JS-2. It's made for a taigen metal Sherman, so it should be fine as the JS-2 is two or three pounds heavier. There won't be any off-roadin' but the real thing probably wouldn't be caught off a paved road.

phpBB [video]

The small battery seems OK, but if i want more power and longer run time I can always put a battery in the trailer and run power cables forward along with the hook-ups for tail lights and ramp power. I think the small batteries will only be good for about 5 - 7 minutes with a metal tank. But, they're cheap, they change quick, and I have a buttload of 'em. Now I just have to wait for the worm gears, but tracking says they arrived at the destination country yesterday so maybe we'll get lucky. More to come. 8)

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Max-U52 wrote:The problem appears to have been the batteries. This is with one of the little 380s I run in trucks and it runs good with long life. I didn't time anything, but I'm guessing at least 15 or 20 minutes of continuous run time. Here it's pulling the 6 lb plastic Sherman. I think the added unsprung weight in the metal rims and dual tires helps quite a bit. I may throw stock tires on it and test that theory. @)

phpBB [video]

And this is with the 14 lb JS-2. It's made for a taigen metal Sherman, so it should be fine as the JS-2 is two or three pounds heavier. There won't be any off-roadin' but the real thing probably wouldn't be caught off a paved road.

phpBB [video]

The small battery seems OK, but if i want more power and longer run time I can always put a battery in the trailer and run power cables forward along with the hook-ups for tail lights and ramp power. I think the small batteries will only be good for about 5 - 7 minutes with a metal tank. But, they're cheap, they change quick, and I have a buttload of 'em. Now I just have to wait for the worm gears, but tracking says they arrived at the destination country yesterday so maybe we'll get lucky. More to come. 8)

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Very cool, i like the test.

But worm gear setup? For drive that will be incredibly slow. Been there tried that, but the torque is unreal.
As for batteries, i run my 2s lipo in parallel. The good thing about my dual 380 motor setup is i can run 2x2s lipo in series. But you need to be careful with soo much power as you have to role off the throttle slowly otherwise you can rip the driveshafts clean off with the torque braking!

My next drive setup i need to get on with is the dual 380 setup with layshaft to couple both motors together, but also with gear reduction so i can increase the torque even more and then run 3s or 4s.

Keep up the great work Gary
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The worm gear is just for raising and lowering the ramp. About 10 days ago a guy posted some video of his Dragon wagon that you might have seen, he loaded and unloaded three different tanks during the video. I asked him for photos of his ramp set up and he's using a worm gear to raise and lower the ramps and it works really, really good.

The only problem with a two motor setup is that you lose the 2 speed transmission, which happens to be something that I think is pretty cool. This was just a case of finding the proper battery. One that has enough cojones to do the job but it's still small enough to fit underneath the hood. If I have to I've already figured out a way to add additional power, I can simply put a battery in with the stowage in the trailer and then run a power cable up to the board. I'm already going to have two connections between truck and trailer for tail lights and ramps so two more wires shouldn't make much difference.

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”