Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now that the relatively inexpensive extras (below) have arrived from Axels and Rad, I can begin kitting the Upper Hull out.
Curiously, the Jagdpanther uses two elevation motors. One is for gun rotation, and the other- obviously- for gun elevation. :)
Tamiya JP-Elevation and Recoil motors fitted
Next, the rotation motor goes in- and it's something of a tricky fit for those with gherkin fingers (that also creak :/ )

I still need to source the two return springs needed for the elevation and rotation motors; but after this parts binge, the upper hull is pretty well complete. I have both DMD units (bought at sale prices), and so the build is going well under the budget I would have needed for the Full-option version. :think: :)
So far, so good. :thumbup:
Here's the barebones JP with a provisional coat of Tamya Dunkelgelb. This model may eventually get zimmerit.
Biggest desideratum now remains the motors/ gearboxes. However, I'm pretty set on saving up for the ETO type. :thumbup: Looks like the glued togther piggy bank is up for another smashing; but that won't be until Spring. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hey, glad to see the part arrived safe and sound and now they are in place. And also thanks for measuring it for me.

I did not know you also needed the elevation unit, arms and so on, I also had all of that! We are designing a 2 in 1 unit servo elevation and recoil, so the elevation unit wont be needed neither. I also have a metal elevation arm!

For next time we know, lol
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hey, glad to see the part arrived safe and sound and now they are in place. And also thanks for measuring it for me.

I did not know you also needed the elevation unit, arms and so on, I also had all of that! We are designing a 2 in 1 unit servo elevation and recoil, so the elevation unit wont be needed neither. I also have a metal elevation arm!

For next time we know, lol
Thanks again, Rad :clap: As it happens, the other gun motors aren't that expensive. However, if you do happen to have the two springs fro the elevation and rotation units, I'd be very grateful. I guess you might need them for your alternate arrangement. They're not sold separately, unlike the bronze knuckle joints, plastic arms etc.,
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Yes, I do have the spring, and nope, I won't need it!

One of the main reasons for my servo recoil and elevation idea was just to get rid of that spring and the cannon jigling. At this very moment I cannot send you the spring on my PIV because then I would be with no working tanks, but as soon as I have at least one of the tanks running with the new servo system, I could send you both springs for free.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Yes, I do have the spring, and nope, I won't need it!

One of the main reasons for my servo recoil and elevation idea was just to get rid of that spring and the cannon jigling. At this very moment I cannot send you the spring on my PIV because then I would be with no working tanks, but as soon as I have at least one of the tanks running with the new servo system, I could send you both springs for free.

Thanks, Rad :thumbup: I would have thought that with the PA (Public Address) quality of your tank sound systems, and the vast array of samples, that the irritating 'jiggling' sounds would have been drowned out. :think: :)
I think you must have super-sensitive hearing. :D Still, I won't complain if I end up being the beneficiary of that sonic niggle. :thumbup:
Also, given the number of plates I have spinning at the moment (Tamiya Pz IV, StuG IV, Tamiya Tiger 1, Cromwell, and Comet)- haste is not a factor. :D So, no worries, to use a modern idiom.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Thanks, Rad :thumbup: I would have thought that with the PA (Public Address) quality of your tank sound systems, and the vast array of samples, that the irritating 'jiggling' sounds would have been drowned out. :think: :)
I think you must have super-sensitive hearing. :D Still, I won't complain if I end up being the beneficiary of that sonic niggle. :thumbup:
Also, given the number of plates I have spinning at the moment (Tamiya Pz IV, StuG IV, Tamiya Tiger 1, Cromwell, and Comet)- haste is not a factor. :D So, no worries, to use a modern idiom.
Lol, it is not about the sound, but the barrel moving! When driving over non-flat terrains, the barrel moves up and down specially in the king tiger, I find it quite irritating.

The elevation motor is also slow and weak, so I am not happy with it neither. Hence my need of upgrading it with metal servos.

Ill update you as soon as those springs are ready, but not sure about the time! Plan is to have the king tiger working along this month and then to start with the panzer IV.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Lol, it is not about the sound, but the barrel moving! When driving over non-flat terrains, the barrel moves up and down specially in the king tiger, I find it quite irritating.

The elevation motor is also slow and weak, so I am not happy with it neither. Hence my need of upgrading it with metal servos.

Ill update you as soon as those springs are ready, but not sure about the time! Plan is to have the king tiger working along this month and then to start with the panzer IV.
Ahhhh...I see. It's really a case of barrel wobble then. There are a couple of threads I can recall on that subject. Careful placement of foam seemed to bring partial success:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=22551&p=206000&hi ... le#p206000
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=24637&hilit=barrel+wobble.
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=18174&p=159012&hi ... f2#p159012
Would it be possible to adapt a gun stabilisation system (like the one for the Leopard) to solve the KT wobble?
I shall look forward to seeing your own solution in action, Rad :thumbup:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Yes, barrel wobble, which is horrible in the case of the King Tiger. A friend fitted a metal muzle brake on the barrel, and he said he had to remove it immediatelly, because the wobble was way worse and the elevation too weak.

Our idea (I am designing it with a friend. Well, better said, my friend is designing it, I just keep giving him ideas/opinions) will be a part that will bolt where the king tiger recoil mounting plate is bolted. That part will have the servo for recoiling, and the servo for elevation. The elevation will have a push rod where the elevation motor mounts.

There are many advantages with servos, for mentioning some, much better and fast control of elevation (critic for those who battle), no wobbling, precise adjustment of recoil (very fast recoil, slow going back to the original position) and some more.

Of course when using servos it is very easy to install a gun stabilization system. I am not going to do it on the WW2 tanks, but now that you gave me the idea, I might add it to my never ending T54 build... More things to the "to do things" list. Lol. That will be long term though. I dont want to end with plate spinnings too, lol.
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

etoarmor.com still has one or two of Daryl Turner's metal jagdpanther trunion kits in stock from the last run, it's supposed to be the bee's knees for solving the issues on the Jagd
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

pitstain wrote:etoarmor.com still has one or two of Daryl Turner's metal jagdpanther trunion kits in stock from the last run, it's supposed to be the bee's knees for solving the issues on the Jagd
Yes, I think that was the unit starring in Sevoblast's Jadgpanther upgrade:
Daryl's Gun Trunnion Modification
Daryl's Gun Trunnion Modification
Daryl's Gun trunnion.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
I think that Adam (Ad Lav) also used this top-notch component in his highly desirable Jagdpanther upgrade. :thumbup:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”