First tank Taigen 76mm Sherman...mods underway.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jimmer
Private

Re: First tank Taigen 76mm Sherman...mods underway.

Post by Jimmer »

Hi did the sound card plug straight into the v3 board
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Yes it does. Look up electronics section on Taigens website. Links to schematics on v3 board page :thumbup:
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Next update and newest mod: With the research I’ve been looking up, one item on tanks of that era I’ve seen is they had a spot lamp on turret. Well, I went ahead and made one. Has yellow led that illuminates whenever turret is activated. Vertical support not really exact looking at all, but think insulated led leads through turret fit the lamp support job pretty well.
DD1D8C9B-920F-4699-9156-55D194684EAF.jpeg
2190DBB6-8C52-4A8C-BDFC-8E54686D8E23.jpeg
F69DB1BD-EEA3-404A-9C35-0BF3EC8E8CB5.jpeg
I made a demo video showing light function. Gotta find out why led brightness is less than should be in ccw rotation only. Here’s link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2hH-5BOV8
Until next time....
Jimmer
Private

Post by Jimmer »

Loving he look of this Sherman,IF you dont mind me asking where did you get it from .
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

From Erik at Taigen/Imex out of Florida.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Erik is awesome and will always make it right. Just had to throw a good word in for him and Imex.
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Wondering what folks here think of my first attempt experimenting at building Sherman 76mm scale ammo.. Used a 77gn 223 bullet for tip....22 empty case for base and a straw from one of my grandson’s juice boxes (lol) to lengthen to approx scale. Please comment folks....I’m just curious being a noob. Thanks.
4AA26437-0634-494F-8E53-415E1E978F7A.jpeg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Great use of components and very crafty! I think you’ve made some fine accessories. I’ll have to go in my basement and look around my reloading bench.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That's a nice addition and well made :clap: I'm not sure they would store an ammo crate on the engine deck though ( boom ) :haha: we all do it mind, loading up our tanks with fuel cans etc, Sherman's are known for not exactly needing a lot of help to ignite :D you've done a cracking job on it though :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Hello all. Been awhile since I’ve updated. I have good news and bad news. Bad news is taigen v3 board failed. Appears there was some smoke vapor blow-by which sent it straight onto board through attached cooling fan. Attempted to remove from board using some isopropyl. Hadn’t quite evaporated and a resistor(s) blew next to smoker port when energized...fudge, I just screwed that up. :-<

Good news is that because of this I’m upgrading to Clark TK60 rather than spend $ to replace V3 board...wanted to upgrade this way but just had not expected it to be this soon. Have had my eyes locked to manufacture’s website studying documentation and schematics along with forum and you tube. Working with Maxmekker here on forum for board who is just a world of knowledge. Found Flysky FS-I6S / FS-IA6B txrx combo and will use S-bus. Also have a GI Smokers Lady Jaye on the way. Not all parts here, so doing a tear down more familiarization and clean-up before big install.

As a shout out, would like to hear from anyone here who has done a Clark TK unit upgrade to a Taigen Metal Sherman replacing their newest V3 electronics. Looks like tank built 2018ish from dates seen on pcb’s. I have a good grasp on hook up, but unsure how much rewiring might need to occur, especially in the turret.

Return to “Other Builds”