Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Update: I started this thread back in February. Since then, the Earth has undergone an enforced transformation- courtesy of microbial malice. The world's economy has also gone to Hell in a huge handcart, making the acquisition of Tamiya parts difficult. In some instances, the factory may not produce certain models, nor related parts, in future. For this reason, I've decided to give my static Jagdpanther a transfusion of parts from my Full-Option Panther. Why? Well, odd though it may seem, I actually prefer the look of the Jagdpanther. What's more, whilst I have other tank-destroyer projects going, I don't actually have a fully functional one to test, out in the garden, currently. Details will be added shortly. Meantime, the original Feb text begins here:-

Back in the 1950s, when we only had one TV channel, the BBC (and then later ITV), jugglers (and other circus acts) were often seen as suitable material for entertaining the postwar masses. :|
Some juggled with balls and clubs; even sticks on fire. Others lay on their backs, and juggled with curled up people (usually diminutive diamante-clad women, with surgically implanted smiles). The ones that bugged me most of all, however (and don't ask me why I don't like jugglers :D ), were the plate spinners. Here's one:
Pension building Plate Spinner.
Pension building Plate Spinner.
If you're one of those people who hops from project to project, without completely finishing the last one- and you live in a 99% complete world, then, you'll understand why I used to have nightmares about Plate Spinners when I was a kid. It's a symbol for too many choices and things to do, with not enough time.>:< :lolno:
I have nearly finished the Tamiya Panzer IV, The Tamiya Panther, the Comet, and the Cromwell but now I'm spinning another plate: the Tamiya Jagdpanther. :/ :/
I bought this Static version some little while ago, on the basis that it would soon be deleted by Tamiya. I won't give build details, as there are already a couple of Jagdpanther threads currently active (Sevoblast and Pitstain). What's more, there are a couple of Panther builds in the archive.
Here's what you get in the competitively priced display kit:
Tamiya Jagdpanther box-display version
Tamiya Jagdpanther box-display version
Contents of Tamiya Jagdpanther display model
Contents of Tamiya Jagdpanther display model
Given the price of the display model, with a bit of judicious shopping around for the internals, it should be possible to build the Full-Option offering, without taking on a second job washing dishes. :think:
Well, that's the theory, anyway.
It didn't quite work out with the Pz IV, which was entirely built from online spares (mostly sourced from 'Axel's...') and donations. :problem:
Lately, though, I was able to get the DMD-MF-04 and DMD T-03 units it needs at half prive (brand new). That's already a massive saving on the eye-wateringly prived full-option kit.
I've also acquired most of the bits for the internal real estate, as well: elevation motor, recoil, and so on. Rotation's not realy needed. :D
I build the kit in a couple of days and, like my other Tamiyas, it has been primed and painted in Tamiya Dunkelgelb, awaiting (the plate spinning) unit markings, camo and (mild) weathering.
Right now, it looks like this:
Tamiya Jagpanther-pic A
Tamiya Jagpanther-pic A
As per normal, do click to ENLARGE smaller pics. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some more pics:
Tamiya Jagdpanther-pic B
Tamiya Jagdpanther-pic B
The battery of smoke grenades in the background is actually my spice rack. :lolno:
The sprocket on the counter is a hint at the main desideratum for the JP: a drive system. More on that presently.
The kits include some really neat photo-etched grills for the engine deck furniture (fan etc...)
...and here they are:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

One hatch is openable, but I see that ETOarmor have an alarmingly alluring array of upgrades for the TJP (alarming, because here's a further drain on my pension and time: both of which are in short supply :| )
https://etoarmor.com/?product_cat=jagdpanther
Tamiya Jagdpanther-Commander's hatch
Tamiya Jagdpanther-Commander's hatch

Here's the pic of the internal real estate. The plate for the DMDs was only a few Euros from Axel's, and isn't included in the kit. I also have a speaker on order. Since the speaker also acts as the upper hull retaining point, I thought it better to go with buying it instead of looking for an alternative. :think:
Tamiya Jagdpanther hull real estate
Tamiya Jagdpanther hull real estate
The gearbox sitting there has the kit-supplied standoffs fitted to it. It's perfectly aligned with the chassis. Unfortunately, and annoyingly, this box is for another model. I've found that most Tamiya gearboxes are in fact identical with the exception of standoff heights, and types, and the final drive shaft length. This one's way too short, and was adapted for another purpose by a friend, and member- and now it won't fit anything.
Och well. If only Tamiya did replacement final drives >:< !
I've even considered trying to make my own final drive shaft; but for that, I'd need a lathe and some high grade steel. :thumbdown:
The display model shafts are not keyed flat on the ends to engage with the final drive gear. They just spin around uselessly, like plates.
Thus far then, the only real challenge is centred on the gearboxes.
ETO do beautiful bespoke boxes for the tamiya- but at bespoke prices (then there's the Customs crows to feed)
https://etoarmor.com/?product=s03-eto-h ... ansmission
I assume these work with Tamiya ECUs (DMDs).
An alternative- one of these eye-openers:
https://www.modellspiegel.com
Perhaps they're from the same source as the ETO units. Nonetheless, these could be a cheaper option. There's no mention of DMD compatibility, but again, I'm assuming they'll work.
Then again, I could try to source used Panther boxes from somewhere. :think:
This is where the plates are beginning to slow down, ominously :O
:D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: Hi there these boxes will work with tamiya DMDs https://www.modellspiegel.com . i have them in my kt but had to change the speaker box. :thumbup: :thumbup:
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ruben2005 wrote::wave: Hi there these boxes will work with tamiya DMDs https://www.modellspiegel.com . i have them in my kt but had to change the speaker box. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Were these the 'CR35' motors? It's not clear which would fit the bill. What did you opt for?
At the same time, do the supplied output shafts work with the Tamiya-supplied sprockets and drivetain?
Cheers :thumbup:

edit: I should add, at this point, that although some would say that Tamiya has not made a lot of progress in updating its models, innovating, and bringing new models to market- Tamiya still makes the best precision
suspension systems out there.
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: HI i went with the standard motors which are longer thats why i had to change the speaker if you send him a msg im sure he can tell you more about the CR35 but i can tell you that the shafts work with tamiya sprockets and the drive is so smooth as my kt has metal tracks and this gearbox at the front of the tank and goes through long grass no problem and fitting is easy just put the gearbox on the plates and i think you drill 2 holes but i did fit mine a while ago but they are a worth while upgrade. :thumbup: :thumbup:
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Tamiya sell the display models cheap. They hope people will think lets make it RC then the money rolls in :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Roy,
When I built Mike's Tiger 1, it was a Static Kit that was converted into RC. There was a lot of fun, following two build manuals and ensuring that all the of the replacement electronics worked. ( We went with an IBU2 and a set of those ETO gearboxes. ) and it was quite an adventure getting everything put together and detailed. Worth it tho' in the end. When you do a conversion like that, it really expands your knowledge of How-To 'do a build'. Following along!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ruben- Thanks for the useful input. Those motors must be very long, if you were forced to ditch the speaker in a chassis the length of the KT :| Couldn't the DMDs and batteries be fitted crosswise, instead of the traditional lengthwise orientation? Hmm., I must do some measuring.

Ronnie- Thanks for the cynicism. :D Pricing has always been a major beef with Tamiya, as has the availability of spares at a reasonable price. Then again, 'reasonable price ' and 'Tamiya' are polar opposites.
Still (and I would describe myself as an enlightened pessimist), even if I were able to obtain Tamiya's JP motors at the absurd price they're advertised at (double the price of the Tiger 1 version), I'd still be paying significantly less than the king's ransom needed for the Full-Option kit. Right now, they're not available anyway; but, frustratingly, if I had suitable final drive shafts I could use the boxes I have, and save 100s of Euros >:< Looks like the ETO or Modellspiegel options are better value for money.

Painless- Yes, I remember well your well-received Tiger 1 static to full-option thread. It made for a pleasant evening's study. :thumbup: Also, lessons learned there, from those following the thread, are readily transferrable to other Tamiya projects.

Eastern F...- There's no stauncher defender of Tamiya tanks on the forum than your good self; come Hell or High water. :thumbup: Long may it be so. :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Finding a recoil unit for the Static version was harder than I supposed, but luckily me, Rad had removed one from his KT and was prepared to part with it. :thumbup: he also supplied some Finnish Hakaristi (Swastikas) templates for my Tamiya Finnish Pz IV project. Well done, that man :D :thumbup:
Six models from Tamiya's 1/16 tank range use the same recoil unit; but the Jagdpanther uses the same unit as the King Tiger:
Here you can see how much larger the JP/KT unit is, compared with that fitted to the Pz IV/Sherman etc.,
Rad wanted to know the length of recoil travel on the unit. An internal measurement suggests 34-35 mm. However, I used a pencil to trace a line on my Tammy KT barrel as the gun fired. Here's the result:
Tamiya KT barrel recoil length-traced with pencil
Tamiya KT barrel recoil length-traced with pencil
I got 33.38mm to 34 mm after several attempts. So, I guess 34mm is about right for anyone who's nerdish enough to want to know.

Here's what the static/display model looks like internally in the upper hull. The elevation motor has been fitted, however, all you would see normally is the gun counterweight, that stands in for the gun recoil unit.
Tamiya JP static version- gun counterweight
Tamiya JP static version- gun counterweight

Return to “Tamiya Builds”