First tank Taigen 76mm Sherman...mods underway.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
bradw6ea
Recruit

Re: First tank Taigen 76mm Sherman...mods underway.

Post by bradw6ea »

Sherman65 wrote:You’ve done a great job on your Sherman so far! Love the realistic sound, and smoke in the video. The G.I. Tank Smokers are amazing!
Thanks much for your comments. Very encouraging :P
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Max-U52 wrote:When you're using baby oil and WD-40, what does that do to the smell? Can you smell the WD-40 very strongly?
I found that fluid recipe ratio from another member on forum...username escapes me at the moment...just trying to give credit. Smell to me is not that much of an issue. The baby oil is 100% mineral with mild fragrance...add WD40 and it somewhat cancels out fragrance...doesn’t really smell like WD40 itself...not a strong offensive smell at all :thumbup: . GI Smokers recommends to use only mega steam brand and not to use HL, Taigen, or other alternate fluids. Smokers are just a wick around a resistor...maybe manufacturers recommendation was made to minimize accumulated cooked oil on resistor that would require early wick replacement after some time of use where smoke generation is less efficient. Hope this helps.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Just remember WD40 inhaled :

From MSDS:Symptoms of Overexposure: Inhalation: May cause anesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper respiratory irritation. ... Ingestion: May cause irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If swallowed can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.

May want to rework your formula.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I work with chemicals regularly on the job and using WD40 may not be the best option. I'd stick with the manufacturer's instructions and use Megasteam. I use Megasteam in my smokers and have had great results. Even outdoors when my crews are working and drilling we wear proper respiratory controls around the stuff.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I sometimes build my own smoke units, using a 10 ohm 1 watt wire wound resistor and I use nothing but Mega Steam and I've never had any problems so far. I tried straight baby oil, and that works pretty good, but not near as well as the mega Steam.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

Max-U52 wrote:I sometimes build my own smoke units, using a 10 ohm 1 watt wire wound resistor and I use nothing but Mega Steam and I've never had any problems so far. I tried straight baby oil, and that works pretty good, but not near as well as the mega Steam.
Thanks for info. Will purchase some mega steam. What media do you use for wick?
bradw6ea
Recruit

Post by bradw6ea »

c.rainford73 wrote:Just remember WD40 inhaled :

From MSDS:Symptoms of Overexposure: Inhalation: May cause anesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper respiratory irritation. ... Ingestion: May cause irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If swallowed can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.

May want to rework your formula.
Well, with that being said will remove WD40 and use alternative available options. Certainly don’t want health issues.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Like Max stated, I also use JT Megasteam and its excellent. There are a many number of scents ( I use diesel power scent) I think it gives my tanks a realistic smoke and exhaust

I've seen people use lamp oil, heating and paraffin oil, baby oils even WD40 and nothing compares to Megasteam. I also think the blend of mega steam keeps my smokers working longer.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Vape liquid works quite well if you concerned about using oils
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

bradw6ea wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:I sometimes build my own smoke units, using a 10 ohm 1 watt wire wound resistor and I use nothing but Mega Steam and I've never had any problems so far. I tried straight baby oil, and that works pretty good, but not near as well as the mega Steam.
Thanks for info. Will purchase some mega steam. What media do you use for wick?
It's a Kevlar cord that I fray and re-wrap around the resistor. You can also re-use the cord from the stock smokers. it works well.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Other Builds”