Hello from a new addict....

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Timbo68
Private

Hello from a new addict....

Post by Timbo68 »

I’m a tank newbie, and pleased to find this forum. I’ve done all I can with the building of 1/10 rock crawlers (which have been great fun), and bought my first 1/16 tank at the end of last summer. I’m now hooked!
I started with a Heng Long Tiger 1 ‘Pro’ version (metal wheels/tracks/suspension arms, and steel gears) and I’ve been fettling and adding a modest amount of weathering ever since. I’ve just fitted a Taigen torsion bar lower hull with the HL wheels and track. A pic of progress so far....
Attachments
Tiger1.jpg
williamthedog
Private

Re: Hello from a new addict....

Post by williamthedog »

Welcome to the forum from another newcomer :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mr Timbo68 :wave:

Looks like you've made a cracking start to the addiction :D
Any ideas of what your next tank will be?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Welcome to the forum. My hobbies have taken me in the other direction. I started with a Tiger tank and acquired many others since. I recently got involved in 1/10 rock crawlers. Different and not quite so addictive!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Thank you!

I'm thinking about my next tank - how many is too many? I put a stop to rock crawlers, which were also fun to rebuild and modify, as I was running out of space....
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Welcome aboard, Tim, from the Motor City. So where are you? It helps the rest of us to know at least what country you're in. That's a nice looking Tiger you have there, can't wait to see what you build next. Maybe something to go up against her, like a Pershing or Sherman? Not that it would be a long battle against a Sherman! :haha:

We have another rock crawler guy here, Jackalope, who just posted some video of his Chevy going through a stream, going even deeper than the real truck can go! Pretty cool. Your crawler experience might also put you in a position to help some of the rest of us as there a few here that are in the process of RCing Jeeps and Kubelwagens and we're using 1/10 axles and stuff. Wayne discovered a truck that works well for the Jeep, but we're still sorting out the Kubelwagens. The real kubels were just rear wheel drive so the models will be the same. I myself have two kubels and two Jeeps on deck, and I'm waiting for the jewel of the collection, the Dragon Schwimmwagen kit. Got that on ebay and I'm still not sure if it's for real. I've been looking for this kit for five years, so I hope this goes through. If I don't get it by March 11th I can get my money back, but it's the kit I want.

Anyway, you're going to learn a lot here, as we all have and still are, and there are some really first class guys here, without a single real troll.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Very interesting replies - I can see I'll be learning a lot.

I'm based in the south-west of Ireland - not too many model tank shops here, and probably not that many modellers or forumites either!
I'm trying to start a trend.....

I've done some work with crawler axles - I started with some cheaper FTX stuff, which was OK, but more like 1/12 than 1/10. I've rebuilt the basics with larger gauge bolts etc., but also bought in some axles for retro-fitting. I have a couple of nice tough axle sets from eBay at 1/10 scale.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

A Canadian Here. Started in the crawlers and short course trucks myself and migrated to armour. LOL...

Welcome to the forum.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Timbo. We'll expect a fair amount of the gab (in written and pictorial form) from you; if you've ever kissed the Blarney Stone :D :thumbup:
On my Dad's side, I have links to Cork (and have been known to remove quite a few! Corks, that is...), and with Ballyneale in Tipperary. :thumbup:
Since you're already used to the crowded house syndrome with crawlers, you'll need to enlist the attic space and garage too, now (if you have one) for the inevitable armour inundation :D;
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Ah, now, thanks again for the welcomes. I must 'fess up - although I reside in the Emerald Isle, I'm actually a Cornishman by birth...and I haven't yet kissed the Blarney stone, so I only mumble!

My storage problem is not that I have that many pieces of kit, but that I like to keep stuff handy in my workspace for playing with, and what with the R/C boats, crawlers and stuff, my tank area will be strictly limited. I hate putting things in the loft or elswhere, as out of sight is out of mind, and I'll probably never see them again. However, it's early days...!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”