FPV

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jstevens
Private

FPV

Post by jstevens »

I have just started a new project building the Henglong challenger even though it probably wont have much Henglong left of it when completed. I am fitting FPV and lucky enough to have a friend who is 3D printing any brackets thats required. Do many guys on here use FPV? I have not seen much chat about it wondered if there was any reason why..
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: FPV

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I use FPV for flying and have used the FPV gear perched on a tank but l've just ordered a tiny cheap FPV drone (£26) just to remove and use the FPV on a Leopard 2 to which lm also fitting a red laser pen for aiming, all facilitated by Henglongs V6 mfu. The Leopards turret front cuts back to the hull so has a sort of hidden section ideal for cameras and beams provided they are small.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jimbo_wa
Corporal

FPV

Post by jimbo_wa »

Not many have gone the FPV route as it’s extra expense and electrickery is not always welcome.

It’s something that is on my list, one day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

FPV hasn't really caught on around here. There are a couple guys that have stuck a video camera to the top of a tank and driven around, but dedicated FPV systems in tanks and trucks are still pretty rare, from what I've seen. I've put FPV cams in several tanks and trucks, including a WPL M35 seen below, and a 1/6 scale Hetzer. If you watch close in the video you'll see the Hetzer at about 50 seconds, and you'll also see other cool stuff, like a 1/6 scale 250 halftrack and a 540K Mercedes in the same scale, and maybe even a couple of cats. 8)

The M35 in the photo is what we're driving around in for the video, the lights on the bar can be turned on/off from the TX (4ch spektrum pistol grip), the box in the back (3D printed with wood filament) holds the FPV gear and the power supply for the lights, and you can just see the camera mounted in the passenger seat. The bonus to putting the camera in (what to me is) the passenger seat is that my Brit buddies feel right at home looking at the world from that perspective. @)

phpBB [video]

And this was taken with a Mobius cam from the top of my Jagdpanther to show off the tank village I was building. I also have the Mobius docking station for real time FPV. You'll see an external shot of the JP at the end without the cam attached. I view things through goggles and I also have a Little Pilot screen I can mount to the TX. Unfortunately, you aren't going to find too many guys here that have gotten more sophisticated than I have, which isn't much. :'(

phpBB [video]

:wave:
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

Ah, but at the slow speed tanks travel you don't need or want FPV goggles, just a mobile phone holder clipped on your transmitter. That way you can see the whole battlefield from the eye and your targeting view from the screen.

As above, a 1080p HD WiFi link to your screen is more than good enough and £26 and a bit of cannibalism is very little to expend. There's s link to the drone on this site.

Edit: we posted together Max - very nice installations!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but at the slow speed tanks travel you don't need or want FPV goggles, just a mobile phone holder clipped on your transmitter. That way you can see the whole battlefield from the eye and your targeting view from the screen.

As above, a 1080p HD WiFi link to your screen is more than good enough and £26 and a bit of cannibalism is very little to expend. There's s link to the drone on this site.
I disagree. Driving a tank through my village with FPV goggles was loads of fun. WiFi systems (or bluetooth) aren't bad, but you get a lot more lag and interference than I get with a dedicated TX. The expense isn't that much, about $25 for the TX, and another $10 for the camera (that's USD). The hardest part is learning all the new stuff you need to know, but I was lucky to have one of the best Gurus out there, Imex Erik. He uses them in drones and is light years ahead of the primitive stuff I've displayed above. We've even talked about FPV tank battles with two man teams, one driver and one gunner, but we'll need a lot more FPV enthusiasts before that becomes a reality.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

I wish you the best of luck with that project. To clarify, for those of us who battle in a hall the benefit of being able to see the whole battlefield at a glance is too valuable BUT if everyone was FPV only then it would be great fun. You are lucky to have a tank village to play in. Here in the UK we have lots of tarmac and pavements!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

General Jumbo01 wrote: Here in the UK we have lots of tarmac and pavements!!
One of my favorite TV shows comes from the UK, it's called "Escape to the Country" and it makes me drool with every episode at the fantastic countryside you enjoy over there. I'm especially impressed with Cornwall. I'd give my eye teeth to live in a place like that. And no matter where you are in Britain you're not far from large numbers of talented RC Tankers. The closest really cool battlefield to my house is 1,200 miles. I think to drive that far in the UK you'd pretty much have to go from the southern tip to the northern and then back again, right? Hey, like the Hobbit - There and Back Again!! Sorry, got off on a tangent. Anyway, the point is that if you're lookin' for sympathy because you're in the UK you're barkin' up the wrong tree, Old Chap. @) @) :/ :/ :haha: :haha:
jstevens
Private

Post by jstevens »

I have just been out and about in Cornwall for a few hours just to get some fresh air and yes I do feel lucky.. I do have FPV in my Leopard 2a6 but the fitting is very basic once the challenger is completed I will take it out of action and do a full refit and get the parts I need 3D printed. I love using it its fitted into the front sensor on the turret I use the Ares HR screen attached to my transmitter.. I do agree if you was using it in a battle scenario I think it would only be practical if all tanks had them fitted. I know there are a lot of guys on here from my nearest group, even though we do have one in Plymouth its only a few guys driving their tanks around. I am 2 hours away from Bristol so my look at attending on a regular basis..
General Jumbo01

If you live in and around London it takes hours of driving to get to the countryside and even then it's all private farmland. Cornwall is a holiday destination! But yes, it's not 1200 miles away but if you live in the country, and in a country as large as the US there is far more countryside around and even small towns are in the middle of nowhere (yes, l've been there and toured) you have easy access to woodlands, unless you live in a large city.

Let's be honest, a club that's 3 hours away may as well be on another planet unless you are fairly dedicated! The answer of course is to start one nearby...

Return to “General Discussion”