1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Re: 1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

Post by Jnewboy »

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I have not done one of these IR Panthers in several years. Now that I’m in the middle of it I remember how much work it takes. The first photo is of all the additional armor that I have handmade. It was then texturized and painted a base gray. Next I put a whole pallet of different rust pigments on them and it is held all together by AK rust enamel paint. Then it was hair-sprayed and a light coat of light gray was sprayed over the top in a splotchy pattern that is not uniform. It is then rubbed off with a wet brush and a toothbrush and toothpicks creating scratches and wear. Notice in several pictures I put the new armor parts next to the previous raw steel on the tank to show the contrast. It is important that this contrast exists as this metal was much cheaper and thinner and so would not have the same quality as the steel for the tank itself. I left off the bluing effect which is what gives the tank its cold blue steel it’s color and the additional armor is a lighter shade without the blue.

In the final slides you will see that I have mixed gunmetal with light gray and carefully airbrushed the outer edge of the armor to show the burn from welding. I will finish the pieces tomorrow with some graphite color around the edges and on the weld lines themselves. Then I will paint the scopes, paint the wheels and start weathering the entire tank with chipping and washers. We are getting close to the final assembly! 8)
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

The textured effect on those panels is looking great :thumbup: :clap:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Brilliant work!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Your Panther is becoming a Chameleon: a sort of tank for all seasons :D Love the enviable workspace, with its impressive complement of paints, and other decorative enhancement tools :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Your Panther is becoming a Chameleon: a sort of tank for all seasons :D Love the enviable workspace, with its impressive complement of paints, and other decorative enhancement tools :thumbup:
Thanks! Yes it has taken a long time and several redos to get my workplace what I wanted/needed. I remember when I was starting to get back into modeling years ago I would work right on the kitchen table! but that ended with a ruined table, so I took it with me to the garage! (my wife got a better table) but my paints did not like the temperature changes out there and I needed better lighting and so it went on from there, now I have my own studio room, and yes I have way more paint in drawers :eh:

If you are going to be doing any large amount of work one really needs their own permanent setup. Storing everything and digging through boxes is the worst.

Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Got the weld lines painted, the scopes painted and the wheels, I like to mix alittle brown with a metalic when I do the rim of steel road wheels. Lots more to come!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Coming along splendidly Jon
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Great result Jon. How resilient is the paint on the wheels ? I really like this, but I would be worried if it wears down after a few runs.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Soeren wrote:Great result Jon. How resilient is the paint on the wheels ? I really like this, but I would be worried if it wears down after a few runs.
True, usually I would use enamel based paint for RC use however the buyer of this tank will not be using it it for heavy RC use, it will be primarily a display /show piece.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

I had to make a custom mount for the MG42 scope/lamp so it can be fitted to the copula. Also I did the workers marks on the oxide primer parts from the factory that were rushed out without paint. Next Ill paint the scopes and do the chipping.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”