Glencoe BTR-50 1/32 APC 1988 Vintage >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Glencoe BTR-50 1/32 APC 1988 Vintage >RRC

Post by modler »

These can be found on ebay.
Found a stash of these today in sealed shrink rap. I got a very good price on this kit and thought oh boy, I did good, but after awhile I started thinking about what kind of tracks are in there? :(

I bought a APC kit some time ago and found out that it had hard plastic tracks that were only good for display :thumbdown:

So I just opened this kit a few minutes ago and was happy to see soft plastic tracks that will work for motorized modification of this model. Since these kits are low value and are not Tamiya, I feel that they can be modified without regret.

Being 1/32 scale, a little easier to work with as far a making it motorized :D
Attachments
IMG_4121.JPG
IMG_4121.JPG (91.95 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Soft plastic track similar to Tamiya.
Soft plastic track similar to Tamiya.
IMG_4119.JPG (95.59 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
IMG_4118.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG (82.6 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Sealed box from a closed Hobby shop. 5.74 pound sterling, ($7.50)
Sealed box from a closed Hobby shop. 5.74 pound sterling, ($7.50)
IMG_4117.JPG (98.85 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Last edited by modler on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: Glencoe BTR-50 1/32 APC

Post by modler »

Finally got some time to build up the chassis of this interesting model. My only complaint was that one of the tracks was damaged due to poor fitting in the box. I repaired the damaged track and it seems to be OK. I used a few metal staples to lash the ends back together. This track is pretty nice and normally the connection just snaps together. To tank has tracks like an early Sherman, not live track like modern tanks. More like bulldozer track. Anyway it is going together and i will do a dual motor motorized upgrade to this chassis before proceeding further with the build.
Attachments
looks like this tank had a motorized option. I think I have something that may work in here.
looks like this tank had a motorized option. I think I have something that may work in here.
IMG_4157.JPG (68.71 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
this model is very wide, good for motorized upgrade me thinks.
this model is very wide, good for motorized upgrade me thinks.
IMG_4156.JPG (86.58 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
chassis went together pretty quick. looks good so far.
chassis went together pretty quick. looks good so far.
IMG_4153 (1).JPG (77.79 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Certainly looks like there’s some gearbox anchor points there
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Certainly looks like there’s some gearbox anchor points there
Yes, and in front, track tensioner mount. It is a low priority mod but when the time is right I will test fit a gearbox or two. Lot more room to work with in this 1/32 scale model.

I may buy another for spare parts as doing a GB mod can be tough on the chassis and after going the first one, you usually figure out how to do it better next time. It is like building a puzzle where the pieces don't really fit lol.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

started the motorized upgrade to the BTR and wow what a bunch of tedious work. It OK though because I like doing this type of modification and enjoy making Static models move under their own power. This would be a reasonable upgrade with the proper gearbox. The one I am using is proven in another model that I posted here.

Anyway the time spent was a bit extreme but this can come apart and go back together in a matter of minutes so it has be designed to come apart quite easily for future service requirements if any.

I will try to test this setup today before doing the other side because I am not sure of the track stability at this point. This is not a live track setup like used in modern tanks but the type where the road wheels are single width with no slot. The Older Sherman used this type of track and in my experience is very unstable (throws tracks during turns). Testing will reveal if I should go the next step.
Attachments
Half the job done,
Half the job done,
IMG_4193.JPG (91.93 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
ready for testing
ready for testing
IMG_4190.JPG (92.44 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
very compact track drive unit is a perfect fit after much grinding and shaping. Secured with 2 screws.
very compact track drive unit is a perfect fit after much grinding and shaping. Secured with 2 screws.
IMG_4188.JPG (89.76 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
I am using Tamiya's method of mounting the sprockets to to output shaft. This pic shows a locking locking collar which kinda spoils the stock look but is temporary until exact position on the output shaft is found through testing.
I am using Tamiya's method of mounting the sprockets to to output shaft. This pic shows a locking locking collar which kinda spoils the stock look but is temporary until exact position on the output shaft is found through testing.
IMG_4194.JPG (93.93 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
final positioning achieved.
final positioning achieved.
IMG_4191.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
output shaft will be trimmed and sprocket nut installed on output shaft then sprocket mounted inverted with locking collar to hold position on shaft. The sprocket nut keeps the sprocket from slipping on the output shaft. Standard Tamiya sprocket mounting technique which allows easy removal
output shaft will be trimmed and sprocket nut installed on output shaft then sprocket mounted inverted with locking collar to hold position on shaft. The sprocket nut keeps the sprocket from slipping on the output shaft. Standard Tamiya sprocket mounting technique which allows easy removal
IMG_4189.JPG (83.14 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Last edited by modler on Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Got a chance to test the BTR with a motorized right track. Results look good and I will now be doing the left side.

Here is a short video of the BTR running on the table with radio remote control forward and backward...with one track lol :D https://youtu.be/4HvLm4UbCkw

I am relieved that it works as I have much time in doing this upgrade. If it had not worked out (due to poor track control) I would have used the GB in some other project as I have many in the wings 8)

This model is running off a 1s 130mah lipo.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I finished the motorized upgrade phase of this sweet model yesterday and today added a adjustable track tensioner and started testing and I am really liking this Russian APC. I was worried that the tracks would not work well as I have never seen any like these before. They are black flexible plastic which allows the tracks to slip somewhat allowing for very realistic operation. I now realise that these are the best tracks for a model tank as it allows a bit of slippage keeping excessive loading off the gearbox and drive sprockets. This APC can do things a rubber tracked tank can not do. Rubber tracks SUCK! Actually these particular tracks on this BTR slip like metal tracks do thus emulating metal tracks! That's right, metal track like operation for indoor running. If you try running a metal track tank indoors during a rainy day or something, you are likely to make your life partner very unhappy with the damage that a metal track model can do to fine finished surfaces like table tops and other indoor surfaces.

Anyway, the motorized upgrade was a total success and I am very happy with this model.

It is a great model but...One of the tracks was broken due to the way it was attached to a parts tree vs the box size. This required a difficult repair that can only be achieved by an experienced modeller if you expect to use it in a motorized model.

There is not native gearbox available for this model. The only way to appreciate the great track design is to see them in action.

Other that that, it is a great model! I have not finished to outer hull yet but soon will as the motorized upgrade is DONE!

Here is a video of the BTR-50 doing some bridge operations along with a slow locked track slide down the front of the bridge and then climing the bride head and then doing a pirouette at the top and coming back down the bridge head with one more 180 turn to face the bridge head for another pass. I could do this over and over just watching it do its thing... https://youtu.be/7Xy3fFBVJik

Build specs..
This model runs off a 1s 500mah lipo which allows it to run for 20+ minutes continuous. Uses 6v 130 motos for low speed low current high torque operation.
entire drive system can be removed in 5 minutes for service or repair.
2 channel made in china 27mhz TX\RX with twin ESC ($3.00) is very small robust cheap Radio Remote Control system.
Total cost of this BTR-50, $27.50 or 21.16 Pound sterling + labor.
Attachments
Shown here with its 2 channel $3.00 Radio control system
Shown here with its 2 channel $3.00 Radio control system
IMG_4206.JPG (56.4 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
each gearbox half is held in place with 2 screws and is easily removed for service or repairs.
each gearbox half is held in place with 2 screws and is easily removed for service or repairs.
IMG_4198 (1).JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

It is cold and snowy here today, just the kinda day I like to spend working on a motorized model This is my first Soviet model of any kind mortorized or not. Anyway decided to wire the tank with a on\off switch and charge plug so the lipo stays in this one.

Since I really like running this one I am using a 1s 500mah lipo.

Still working on the sprockets for a more stock look, but these will do for now.

Here is a short video of the BTR running on the kitchen counter top This is a marble and glass finish so the BTR tracks are really getting good traction here and putting a big load on the driveline and sprockets\tracks. I consider this a "track stability test" cause if anything is out of alignment or weak, it shows up here. How did the BTR-50 do? See here https://youtu.be/JJZ2hMruHM0
Attachments
To bad Glencoe did not offer a gearbox option for this model.
To bad Glencoe did not offer a gearbox option for this model.
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG
Finished model is now one of my favorites for indoor running in small spaces.
Finished model is now one of my favorites for indoor running in small spaces.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”