Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Roy Why not standardise and use the same board for all your tanks , clark ibu or elmod. Easier to fit as smaller than Tamiya and you can play for days getting the various settings spot on for each tank.
In principle, having a standard (and hopefully best) board for each tank would make sense, Ronnie. Just as having all the models on a single transmitter would save in batteries- and, more importantly: space.
However, after years of trying radios and control boards out, I've still to decide which have the most to offer me. :problem: :D
The more developed MFUs (TK 60, Elmod, IBU etc..) have their own special features, and their own fervent fans/supporters. I've tried the Clark tk22 and TK 60, as well as the IBU2 Pro, but many would maintain that the Elmod is the ultimate controller to aim for. Then there's the cost factor... :problem: Re-equipping my five Tamiyas (Three built, and two unbuilt), would drain both my Kist (coffer)..and the blood from my face :D
At the same time, if I need to reduce the collection in future, I think that- well, at least with the Tamiya tanks-they will have more value if they're kitted out with original equipment. After all, not everyone is a customiser. :D
At the same time, I'm nae a spring chicken anymore, ( :( ) and have begun to consider what my heirs will do with this peculiar assortment of Armour that's taken over my spare bedroom, and sundry other places. :problem:
I'm also wondering whether it's possible to control a 1/16 tank via an RC-equipped ouija board from the Afterlife :) Hmmm...I'll have to get Rad working on that project.
That way, I can ask my kids to keep hold of my favourites o- :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Roy!
Don't worry about what will happen afterwards. That's your Kin's responsibilities. Your only onus is to build and enjoy. ;0) ( I was worrying about this same subject and after much cogitation came to the aforementioned conclusion )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:Roy
I'm also wondering whether it's possible to control a 1/16 tank via an RC-equipped ouija board from the Afterlife :) Hmmm...I'll have to get Rad working on that project.
That way, I can ask my kids to keep hold of my favourites o- :D
I am only interested if that includes remote dusting because you can wager a large sum that ones heirs wont be doing it :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Somebody summomed me?

Rad Von Radio, lol. I have read the entire thread. My opinions:

I really like the look of that Tiger quite a lot! But if you already have another three, yeah, it might be safe to sell it. Not sure what can you have without electronics though, but hey. Anyway a friend just sent me a Tiger with no electronics and my plan is to use it as a static piece in my battlefield.

Also as you point at the end of the thread, it seems Tamiya tanks with tamiya electronics have a better resale.

Regarding the Carson radio, yep, better than the Tamiya/Futaba radio, but still non programable, soo...

Re equipping your tanks might be cheaper than what you think. If you do like I did, selling the tamiya electronics, with the money you will be able to get plenty of aftermarket boards. I am not planning to sell my tanks in the future, and I cant be happier with the vast improvement. If money is a concert, you can also make your open panzer boards like wibbly did here in the forum. That is a vast improvement over the tamiya innards too... As soon as he publishes his step by step guide, I will try to do my own too.

And answering Ronnie here: Well, there is also another option. Instead of standarizing all the tanks with the same board, you also can do what I did, to program the radio so the same switches triggers the same functions in all the tanks. For example, it does not matter if it is a heng long, tamiya, ibu, clark, elmod, open panzer or others... If I trigger the momentary top right switch it always shoots the cannon. The same with the rest of the functions. Of course there will be switches and buttons unused in the oldest or more limited boards, but hey...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Keep it and make a late Tiger - don’t see many Tamiyas converted to late spec.
Or
Pinch the electronics boards and put them in the panzer iv. Sell the shell. Someone will put a Clark etc in it and have inexpensive fun.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Keep it and make a late Tiger - don’t see many Tamiyas converted to late spec.
Or
Pinch the electronics boards and put them in the panzer iv. Sell the shell. Someone will put a Clark etc in it and have inexpensive fun.
Making a late-version Tiger would mean fitting late-production running gear, Adam. I don't imagine it's easy to fit Taigen metal wheels to the existing Tamiya running gear. :problem: I'd need to research that one. :problem:
https://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/tai ... 1730-p.asp
Far simpler, would be to make a mid-production model- even if it wouldn't be so much of a rarity as the late version. :)
I forgot to mention, that this tiger has Schumo openable front hatches. This provides access to the main DMD power switch, when it's velcro-ed underneath the deck, adjacent to the hatch.
I find it better to have the main on/off switch positioned there, than in the Turret, under the Loader's Hatch.
Schumo movable hatch hinges-Tiger 1
Schumo movable hatch hinges-Tiger 1
Schumo movable metal hatch hinges- Tiger 1.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
It also has the Taigen, of maybe Asiatam metal Loader's Hatch fitted. This offers more detail (including welds) than the Tamiya plastic original. The lights are also LED based metal ones. They're rigged up together to be operated by a battery, and switched on/off by a switch positioned under the MG gunner's front hatch.
In the meantime, my Panzer IV may well 'borrow' the DMD/MFU units, flash unit, and new Carson receiver just so I can see how well it runs :thumbup: It's gathering dust on a shelf currently, ans waiting for action, :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Making a late-version Tiger would mean fitting late-production running gear, Adam. I don't imagine it's easy to fit Taigen metal wheels to the existing Tamiya running gear. :problem: I'd need to research that one. :problem:

This from the joker thats scratch building a Cromwell/Comet :crazy:
Tamiya based 'lates' are a very rare thing, its almost unbelievable that Tamiya themselves have not made a conversion kit after all these years .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Henntec steel wheels, armoured turret ring, few other bits and bobs. Not easy or cheap but a nice change.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

All looks great except "bullet holes" probably made by soldering iron. Please look at this tutorial :)
phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Henntec steel wheels, armoured turret ring, few other bits and bobs. Not easy or cheap but a nice change.

The Alloy wheels are nearly 300 Euros, Adam. That's twice what I paid for the tank. :problem: They look like part of Blackbeard's Treasure to me, but i have to resist the temptation to go digging for them. :problem: :lolno:
https://www.henntec.de/produkte/laufwer ... mponenten/
I'm sure you're aware that even one project on the go can be a bit of a drain on the cashflow, but four or five... :/ That's empty pocket blues. :D ...possibly bailliff blues :lolno:
The Tiger was meant to be a quick way of getting the Pz IV going, and I may try to keep to that aim.

Thanks to Modler, Carl, Herman, Jarlath and, of course, Kaczor et al for your observations.
Herman, as odd as it may seem, starting with a blank canvas for a build can be sometimes easier to negotiate that modifiying an RTR model. Somehow, it involves a different methodology.
More to the point, in order to finish the Cromwell and the Comet, I have to stop adding extra projects to the ever expanding 'to do' :lolno: list.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Show Off”