HL Ultimate Gearbox

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
PershingLover
Corporal

HL Ultimate Gearbox

Post by PershingLover »

Is the Ultimate Gearbox from Heng Long worth it? These ones-https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... enger.html

I'm looking at the ones from Forgebear tanks, but they are M+L, not H+L. I assume that means Medium and Low? Will that fit in an M26 Pershing with a smoke unit?

And finally, are these gearboxes worth it? Are they reliable, strong, etc?

Thanks
jarndice
Colonel

Re: HL Ultimate Gearbox

Post by jarndice »

Hi look again at the THREE Heng Long Ultimate 11 gearboxes on http://www.forgebeartanks.com and you will see that there is a choice of short, medium and LONG shaft boxes available,
The list of Heng Long Tanks that the Long Shaft boxes fit are the challenger, abrams, PERSHING, bulldog, kv1 and the leo 2a6,
I bought a pair for a Panzer 4 to replace the Heng Long Pot metal originals and they are well engineered and they run quietly and the added bonus is that they were the easiest gearboxes I have ever fitted to a Tank,
All the mounting holes were easy to access and the power cables because they come separately allows the two motors to face each other without any interference from the cables which can then be easily slid onto their respective spades,
Do remember to keep hold of the old gearbox mounting screws because they are not included in the box.
In my opinion they are worth it.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Mr jarndice, any idea whether the gear ratio is different to the old boxes? I don't mean the 3:1 or 4:1 useless misleading nonsensical crap, I mean actual ratio, is it still the 39:1?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick I truly have no idea,
I work on the suck it and see principle when it comes to 1/16 gearboxes,
Indeed if the makers of these devises were to advertise a full size lashup using the same flowery language that they use on us they would soon be in court for breaching the trades descriptions act. :lolno:
If you were to show one of our 1/16 gearboxes to a Roman miller of the 1st century after he had stopped laughing he would point at the wood and stone handmade gearbox that had been working 24/7 for a hundred years with just the odd daub of animal fat for lubrication before selling you and your gearbox to the legion for spear practice :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'm not sure about wood and stone gearboxes but Asda still have Christmas stocks of goose fat.

I couldn't agree more with you regarding the misleading labels applied to the current range of boxes but, even with accurate ratios provided we would still need to factor in the diameter of the drive wheel. Maybe some one here who has access to all the currently available types could do a gearwheel tooth count and then calculate the final ratios and publish a table? Maybe!!

As to the quality of the new HL steel boxes, Dave of Forgebear showed me one just after they were released and they are solidly made, nicely finished and with smooth gear operation and shafts ball raced they appear to be as good as the best competition. Plus they are bright red! I just wish the build quality of the brushed motors were as good but they seem to work fine, as do the new steel geared boxes found in the latest RTR tanks, though not red :(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

The ones I'm looking at are the ones that say "Heng Long Ultimate Edition II Long Shaft Steel Gears for 1:16 Scale RC Tank Challenger"
It has the long shafts, and it says they will fit the Pershing.

But the motors are blue?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes they are, and the frames are red!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The motors are indeed painted Blue BUT the Gearbox frames are RED.
Historically red is Hot and blue is Cooool,
What more could you ask for :haha:
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Just one thing- The motors are mounted centrally, as opposed to the very end, or so it appears. Will that leave enough space for smoker unit?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, The wording for the Heng Long Ultimate Edition 11 Long Shaft Steel Gears starts by stating---
"These Gears are from Heng Long and are for their range of 1/16 Tanks",
As this set of gearboxes is specific to the Heng Long Pershing and assuming your Pershing is a Heng Long Model and that the smoker is an original heng long smoker and is fitted correctly then all will be fine. :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”