Taigen panzer iv kit.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
john1970
Corporal

Re: Taigen panzer iv kit.

Post by john1970 »

bottom left hand corner of picture shows the bolts you get with the lower hull its the ones with lines on that hold the return rollers on they just press in
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Ah it's the pins with the groves running parallel to the shaft are for the return rollers. And they are just pressfit? Nice. Let me start having a crack.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Ah perfect chaps. It worked. I now have the beginnings of some return rollers. Now does anyone have any clue as to which screw holds the idler in places. It's either a single tapped bolt. Or a screw. Not sure which. *insert screwed puns here*Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

My own experience of assembling the Taigen metal suspension, was as frustrating as yours is beginning to appear. :/ The pressfit idea doesn't really work, I discovered. Under pressure, when in use, the return rollers can split, and so can the wheels. My solution, was a judicious internal dab of metal epoxy. You'll also find that the square clips, that hold the 'leaf' springs in place, have an annoying tendency to snap quite easily. :|
I used twisted wire on the three that broke on mine, rather try find replacement clips. They were fitted to an Asiatam alloy hull I was using in a Pz IV build. The thread's on here somewhere.

Edit: there's a bit about the suspension on p.4 on my PZ IV thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23848&p=222776&hil ... ll#p222776
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Noted thanks for the heads up. I think in have the suspension sorted now. The big thing holding me back is the rear idler set up. I'm not sure which screw to use. It's one of the two shown below. I think if the left hand set up as I have ot mounted in the rear ideler. But I'm not 100 percent sure. Any advice. Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Ok so I bite the bullet and used my best guess. The beast now has idlers all attached with bearings inserted everything runs smoothly. I'm waiting for eric to get back in stock the required gear boxes and I'm waiting for Forgebear to get back in stock there Zimmeret set. Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Ok, so I'm toying with the idea of making my own zimmerit on this beast..I throw out to masses however. What would you use for putty. Anyone have any tricks or tips? I was thinking initially of using milliput and a flat headed screw driver to make the impressions.

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I use a heated stubby screwdriver on my plastic for Zim.
With metal, you have no option but to use putty/miliput.
From what Ive seen, the problem with using putty is keeping the thickness even, and thin enough to look right.
I have used flexible gap filler which is acrylic and paintable, but has a long cure time. Ideal for application & pattern laying.
On my StuG I did an area that didnt matter if it was no good, then as I got the hang of it, went onto the proper areas.

trial and hopefully low error mate ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I cant stay on line for long I have large sharp rocks in my eye :lolno:
I have to ask some questions about the PZ4 Taigen Metal hull (As distinct from the Body or Turret :haha: )
The rear rollers on each side should be 3 to 5 mm lower than the three rollers in front of them,
A dremel will cut them off and http://www.rctank.de/ is a source for replacements,
E-Bay is where I bought a pair of bearings that act as supports for the gearbox output shafts,
Simply push them down the shaft all the way into the non removable output shaft housings and glue them in place,
The fitting of the idlers is a problem if you want to be able to fit, remove and adjust the tension of the tracks because there is no provision for track adjusters,
Using your Dremel or an Exacto Saw remove the extended threaded fitting which the idler screws into until it is flush,
You will need an Extended "Tap" to drive a thread right through the fitting,
The Track adjuster can be obtained from the aforementioned http://www.rctank.de/,
There is only one PZ4 Metal hull that is without fault and that is the Tamiya ABS/Metal Combination,
The Asiatam and the Taigen Metal hulls require far to much work,
As to the Suspension, In the words of Kenneth Williams "Its a disgrace" :haha: ,
The tags as has already been mentioned slide/fall off, the fix is a dab of "Loctite 243",
The Taigen suspension used to include some very small springs` the holes for their fitting are still to be found on the faux spring block,
Taigen discovered that no part of their PZ4 Suspension actually works so now they leave the little springs off,
If you can get hold of the Tamiya Suspension that is a much better alternative,
As to plans for your build,
The Tamiya PZ4 Assembly instructions can be downloaded from the Download section on the Header at the top of this page they are very useful when putting together a Taigen or a Heng Long PZ4.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

So i throw this question out to the masses, what sort of gear box do I throw into the little beast, do I wait for Taigens V2 steel ball bearing gear boxes to be back in stock, or go a different route? Advice, views, thoughts? rambles. go for it.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV

Return to “Other Builds”