Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and with the new Turret furnishings in place:
Comet Turret update-pic A
Comet Turret update-pic A
Comet turret update-pic B
Comet turret update-pic B
Comet update-Turret fittings-C
Comet update-Turret fittings-C

The tanks will be champing at the tracks for a few weeks now, until Christmas is over; the days begin to lengthen; and also when I can paint outside without the spray turning to icicles. :D
That said, I might find a little time to work out the layout I want for the Comet's interior control systems. :) Addiction never takes a long break :/ :D One priority will be to create a new 'welded seam' to attach to the turret roof, so that the join looks at least passable. With a detachable roof, such as this one, it's still possible to create the illusion of a weld between roof and turret sides. Currently, it's very ragged. :eh:
Hmm..and I still have a pup, and a terminal much-loved pooch to care for. :problem: Och well...ever onwards :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

Hi looking really good.

But I'm going to go full rivet counter here so be warned.
The birdcage you have on the tank is the early version and this should be a late one. Also the bottom two side parts are actually the locks that in real life would keep the hatches open. The last thing goes for the Cromwell as well.

Greetings tim
fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

biertje wrote:Hi looking really good.

But I'm going to go full rivet counter here so be warned.
The birdcage you have on the tank is the early version and this should be a late one. Also the bottom two side parts are actually the locks that in real life would keep the hatches open. The last thing goes for the Cromwell as well.

Greetings tim
Thanks, Tim, and do count away :D
Whilst the objective was to build a Normandy type Mk 1 (A), there are some elements from the later 'B' version. So, it's a bit of a pick 'n' mix'.
Part of the problem with the Birdcage sight here is that on some tanks, the sights were attached to the type of bullet-splash shield I've used on my model; others had a rounded splash shield, and that probably necessitated a different mounting. In the end, though, I opted for the only one available on Shapeways. Made in styrene, it would have been too flimsy (like the Aerial base I started.) Brass and solder would take too much time, and too many swearwords. :haha:
As for spring-loaded catches that held the hatches in place, mine are purely notional. :) These models, if they're to run outside, have to sacrifice more delicate details for the sake of robustness, I guess...
The Ultimate Rivet Counter...checks out the Comet's finer details with some concern
The Ultimate Rivet Counter...checks out the Comet's finer details with some concern
and...
The Ultimate Rivet counter- (above), with obsessive pals- won't be running alongside the Comet when it's cutting through the Highland heather :D ;) :D
In the meantime, looking forward to your Cruiser (Charioteer) updates :thumbup: have a great Christmas :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

Hi

According to my knowledge there were two types of splash shield.
The real early ones didn't have any and the late ones did have the one that is on your model.

Now to come back to the birdcage itself.
looking at my pictures, I have only been able to identify them juicing this type.

This picture also shows a turret without the splash shield.

This is the one I reconstructed, before it looked like a tank drove over it.

What I meant to say about the spring-loaded catches, is that they are still attached to the underside off your birdcage ;)

Well the UK is my favourite holiday country so I might come across it some day ;D

I'll keep you up to date on the cruisers.
Just ordered a full envelop off small screws and a few servos, only need to order a extra crew member.

Happy holiday season and don't play with fireworks :haha:
fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, Tim, I could see the catches underneath the gun sight frame; but given that these Shapeway prints are a little brittle, I didn't dare separate the parts. :O
Again, bonding the whole thing in place was something of a compromise for the sake of rigidity :problem: Then again, there are lots of pics of Comets with no gunsight at all- so, a token one seemed better than nothing; even though the design is slightly different from that on the one you were restoring. There were, in fact, numerous minor differences between Comets, depending on which company built them (Metro-Cammell et al)
Nice bit of welding by the way. :D
Yep- Parts of Britain are truly breathtaking (Lake District, Brecon beacons, the Highlands and so on), and there's much to enjoy for the military buff. You really should visit. :D
I had a good friend who lived in Oisterwijk (Brabant.NL), but sadly she died recently. I always felt slightly uncomfortable staying there with her, knowing that the town was barely
10 mtrs above sea level, and a good part of the Netherlands is actually below sea-level. 8O Gulp! There should have been an aqualung on the wall instead of a fire extinguisher. I loved the water management schemes and dyke systems, though. :thumbup: and the fact that only a couple of pushes on the bike pedals were all that was necessary to cross the entire town :haha:
On balance, I feel much safer up here in the mountains. :wave:
Cheers!
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

Yes I know how brittle they are, I have one of the detail sets and the real tiny parts all gone to dust when I looked at them :P
And your right almost every tank made was different.
Thanks, I had to cut almost every corner.
I'll surly stop by if I'm in Scotland, same goes for if your ever in Holland.
Well knowing we spend more than ten times as much on our water management as the UK does, so I feel save :P

Cheers :wave:
fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

After a break, and seizing the painting opportunity offered by a sunny, calm day- I found time to try out my new Harder and Steenbeck airbrush on the Comet. The paint used was MIG SCC15.
That's the British Olive Drab used between 1944-45; a shade that's quite a bit darker than the US Olive Drab used on the Sherman, and other armoured vehicles.
The 17ml bottles on the bottom row are SCC15. I used a whole bottle on the Comet (undiluted), and another on the Cromwell. 8O It didn't seem excessive. Then again, the paint went on very easily using a 0.4mm
needle in The H & S Ultra (it was also supplied with a 0.2mm needle for finer work). The airbrush provided a smooth and even flow. :thumbup:
Here's my compressor:
and here's the Comet, as I left it, in Covid-free December 2019. Here it's sporting US Olive Drab; but this was only intended as a convenient stopgap colour. Covenient, that is, because it came out of a rattlecan. :)
Here we are after just one coat:
...and not forgetting the turret:
If you want a direct visual comparison of the US and British flavours of Olive Drab, here's the Comet hull after a light pass with Brit Olive. Below, you can see the much lighter US Drab still present on the wheels.
After a couple of coats, the Comet's colour is finally beginning to look familiar... distinctly British, that is. :D

Apart from a few cosmetic niggles to sort out ('welding' seam on rurret roof), and some light weathering- I'm happy with the colour. A touch of 'wear and tear', and some decals should make the tank fairly presentable. Next, I'll have to sort out the recoil and elevation.
Here's a pic of the Cromwell, I also painted this afternoon. The distictive Brit colour is more apparent on it, I think. :think:
Ignore the gaps in the bodywork, The upper hull is not fully seated on the lower hull- that's just to allow paint to fill grooves and lines.
Other pics of the Cromwell will be posted on its own thread.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent colors and paint application! British tanks look so,........British. Beautiful tanks.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Excellent colors and paint application! British tanks look so,........British. Beautiful tanks.
Thanks, Jim- and long may they stay that way. :D Long may the British look British too... :think:
I do have hub caps for the wheels, by the way, and paint for the MG barrel, etc..but these finishing details (accent lines and so on.,) will be added later. I'll also clean up the three lamp lenses. Masking them was tricky. :/ Now, I have to give it some internal vitals...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Be it a Mini Cooper, or an E-type jag, British racing green by any other name seems to suit Tanks too !!
Love it & great to see you back into a project Mr 43rd :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”