TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by jarndice »

Roy Your comments raise a question ?
When Heng Long first put on sale their much flawed BUT affordable 1/16 Tiger1 it soon produced a body of modellers who worked their backsides off fixing those perceived failings,
Being altruistic people they wanted to share this knowledge and et voila the "FORUM" was born,
My Question being, If Tamiya had produced their Tiger1 with all the precision and detail that we have come to admire and place ourselves in penury to acquire but for a similar price to Heng Longs less than perfect example would there have been any incentive to create the "Forum" ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Roy Your comments raise a question ?
When Heng Long first put on sale their much flawed BUT affordable 1/16 Tiger1 it soon produced a body of modellers who worked their backsides off fixing those perceived failings,
Being altruistic people they wanted to share this knowledge and et voila the "FORUM" was born,
My Question being, If Tamiya had produced their Tiger1 with all the precision and detail that we have come to admire and place ourselves in penury to acquire but for a similar price to Heng Longs less than perfect example would there have been any incentive to create the "Forum" ?
Having spent years getting nothing creative done, because of the (then) basket of bollocks that Microsoft operating systems were, and then-eventually- finding meaningful digital life after MS OS in Mac OS- I get your point, Shaun.
Yes, some people love to tinker; whether something is 'broke' or not. :D and so, even if HL's Tiger 1 had clanked onto the scene in perfect trim, some folk would have stripped it down to see what made it tick. After that, the more OCD among our members would have invented niggles, if necessary, requiring remedial treatment. That way, the urge to tweak would have been satisfied. :lolno:
In any event, there would have been enhancements for the general behoof (and the satisfaction of collecting 'likes'), and shootouts at club level. In short, the Forum would have come into existence anyway- and, I'm glad it did. :D :thumbup:
Lastly, what's perfect to one person, appears flawed to another (irrespective of the values used). Thus, a Taigen Tiger 1, painted professionally, might appear perfect to one person, but to a Shaun, the embossed
tools on the deck would be a constant source of irritation. :D
Don't overlook the fact the Forum also delves into historical conflicts (also creates them sometimes... :lolno: ), other RC vehicles, and even Rugby matches. In the latter instance, the more quibble-minded can discuss the new tech employed in games, to decide whether a try really was a try... :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
kintaroukinji wrote:Thank you for your comment. This is the first time that I have hybridized the TAMIYA 1/16 model. TAMIYA's full operation kit is high quality and attractive, but expensive. Moreover, it is difficult to change its operation function. There is much room for remodeling and ditelling the appearance. In Japan, DMD can be purchased as an after-part from TAMIYA at a lower cost than ELMOD. The completeness as one product is excellent for TAMIYA full operation, but a third-party sound controller is good for me because I can enjoy my favorite functions and sounds.
Out of curiosity, how well are the Heng Long gearboxes performing with the Tamiya running gear? In general, I find there is a quality and precision feel to Tamiya transmission assemblies. Everything fits where it should, and kits always seem to have the correct screws, bolts, and other fixings. By contrast, the reaming, thread repair, and minor surgery sometimes needed with Asiatam, Taigen, and Heng Long running gear, is almost totally absent with Tamiya products. :thumbup:
However, many feel the track tensioners in some models should be replaced with Henntec alternatives.
As long as I run this Abrams on the floor or carpet in the room, so far the HengLong plastic gearbox is working smoothly. This tank can get over obstacles such as books without any problems.
However, if the tank runs harshly on an outdoor lawn or wasteland, the plastic gearbox may be vulnerable. The reason why I chose the spare HengLong plastic gearbox for this tank was to see if a gearbox compatible with the HengLong chassis could be built into the TAMIYA M1A2 Abrams chassis without any major modifications. In the future I also consider replacing it with a more powerful and durable metal gear unit.
The gear unit used in this TAMIYA model is a differential gear with separate motors for running and steering, which is expensive, very sophisticated and high performance. When using this gear, a controller with a function that can control the differential gear is required.
This TAMIYA M1A2 model kit(also display model) has a simple track tensioner function on the idler wheel. I think that this track tensioner function can be used as long as this chassis is used even if the gearbox is changed.
jim2955
Recruit

Post by jim2955 »

I have enjoyed your build a great deal. I am in the process of the same build at this time. I bought a cheap ($350) static Tamiya Model kit and I am converting it to full RC . I am using a slightly different set of gear boxes and a Clark TK22 board I already had. I just acquired the Tamiya turret rotation unit so i can go to the next step in by build process. I have one question , I have found that the output shafts for the gear boxes are too short to make the drive sprockets sit in the correct location did you have this problem at all ?
Attachments
Tank Tranny 2.jpg
Tank Tranny 2.jpg (74.78 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Hello Jim.
I diverted the plastic gear box that was originally attached to the HengLong King Tiger, but there was no problem with the length of the output shaft. The gearbox plate (BA20) and C5 parts from the kit were also used for the shaft penetration. However, instead of using the final shaft of the kit, I mounted the MATO metal drive sprocket (compatible with HengLong) directly on the drive sprocket shaft of the gearbox.
If it's different, I'm sorry, but is your gear BOX a short type that fits for example a HengLong Sherman tank? There are short and long types of HengLong gearboxes.
jim2955
Recruit

Post by jim2955 »

Ahhh I see thanks maybe I would be better off with a long shaft gear box then. I don't plan on using the final drive shaft from the Tamiya kit either I just have that in because I first built the kit complete as is then I started the conversion process. I also have a set of Mato drive sprockets I plan to attach direct to the Mato gear boxes. They work very well with the Tamiya tracks. Did you support the dive shafts at all in the chassis of the tank ? Bushings or bearings ?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Just about every type of gearbox made by Taigen or Heng Long are available in either long shaft or short shaft versions,
A visit to www.rctank.de or www.forgebeartanks.com will give you an idea of what fits and also the sizes of the output shafts as well as the bearings prices and sizes.
Once you have found out which is right for your Tank the next thing to discover is the diameter of the output shafts for only then can you order the correct size output shaft bearings which in my very very umble opinion are essential for smooth and stress free running of the transmission.
I do not know if the Tamiya sprockets will fit the Taigen or Heng Long gearbox output shafts or indeed if the Heng Long and Taigen Sprockets are interchangeable.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I wish there was a industry standard to allow for complete compatibility for shafts and sprockets. How awesome would that be?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Until recently the gearbox output shaft sizes were not listed by most makers which made ordering output shaft bearings a bit of a guessing game :lolno:
Thank goodness common sense has prevailed. :thumbup:
Now we have to hope that common sense will produce interchangeable sprockets.
Don't hold your breath.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

jim2955 wrote:Ahhh I see thanks maybe I would be better off with a long shaft gear box then. I don't plan on using the final drive shaft from the Tamiya kit either I just have that in because I first built the kit complete as is then I started the conversion process. I also have a set of Mato drive sprockets I plan to attach direct to the Mato gear boxes. They work very well with the Tamiya tracks. Did you support the dive shafts at all in the chassis of the tank ? Bushings or bearings ?
At present, I am not using Bushing or Bearing. I use this kit's gearbox plate (BA20) instead of the bushing to support the drive shaft. The drive shaft diameter of the gearbox and the hole diameter of this gearbox plate match exactly. If you want to make the support part even stronger, I think it would be good to use “axle supports with ball bearings 7.99mm” instead of C5 parts on the outside of the tank case. However, a new hole must be drilled in the case to install the axle supports.

Return to “Modern Tanks”