1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

Post by ronnie42 »

Wonderful update , was asking on forum about fitting the later cupola as it looked too high. Now i can get started on the tiger again. This updated build will be 1st place i look if i need help.
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Totally amazing, well done :clap: :thumbup:
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Jimster wrote:ha ha. Your modeling abilities are miles above my bumbling efforts. I simply posted another response in the wrong thread and I blame cheap American whiskey. You certainly may wear greatness with pride. I really enjoy this thread.
Hey Mr Jim, honestly I fully admire what you have done, I went along with the crowd down the mid-Late route, you went the early route which is to be commended as its not so easy and less supported with ready to wear add ons. I like your workmanship, I really do.

As for the Whiskey, cheap or expensive, I find its all good after the fourth tot, you just get Zooshed quicker with the good stuff...bottoms up :)
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

ronnie42 wrote:Wonderful update , was asking on forum about fitting the later cupola as it looked too high. Now i can get started on the tiger again. This updated build will be 1st place i look if i need help.
Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:Totally amazing, well done :clap: :thumbup:
Hi ronnie, Hi Ludwig,
I still consider myself an apprentice at RC Tanking who was fortunate enough to start when there were and still are are much greater skilled members of this forum, who's imput and sharing has provided solutions and build options to many of the typical challenges facing all of us who wish to put Historic detail or greater performance modifications into our builds. I can honestly say I can only carry out what i have done through their willingness to help by showing us what can be acheived, I am grateful to them all.

ronnie, my build is certainly not a number 1, that title(s) IMHO for the Tiger 1 goes to these build thread's I consider as Bibles. These are relatively complete with photo's not defaced by Photofudgitt Ltd

tanks_for_the_memory Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8350
Red Devils 507 schwere Heeres Panzer Abteiling, Mid Prod Tiger 1
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9711
HERMAN BIX "WHITE TIGER"
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12185

The following whilst not Tiger 1 related these are superb detailed build diaries also from HERMAN BIX that are as inspirational as they are informative.

HERMAN BIX PANTHER G ZU-FUSS
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14376
HERMAN BIX BERLIN BUSTER T34/85 'BEDSPRING'
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17735
HERMAN BIX HERMANS 'GERMAN SHERMAN' PZIV F2 'B11'
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19363

Study these buddy and you will be gifted with as much knowledge and inspiration as I have.

Gordon :thumbup:

My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone by not mentioning their build. Finding complete examples of build diaries is hard and I wish I could have mentioned many more super detailed diaries in this post. I just hope it helps others out. Thank you.
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

This is great. I loved your build diary it was a huge inspiration and very helpful. Lot of great pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Markocaster wrote:This is great. I loved your build diary it was a huge inspiration and very helpful. Lot of great pics Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your welcome buddy, as soon as some long awaited parts arrive (next week ?) I should be able to start the project up again :thumbup:
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Summary of what is do be done to the Hull :)

So we are bang up to date, took the boxes down from the garage shelves and assembled all the bits and bob's purchased along the way, trouble is and im sure we all do it ?, I cant seem to remember where some accessories are, hope I will remember! The Hull was painted with a base coat of Tamiya XF-60 Dark yellow which does not seem to have weathered too well in storage. There is a sticky residue on the surface which I think may be as the result of an exploding can of WD40 on the work bench a few years back, the Hull will need stripping I think and starting again.
So we begin again. Click for larger image
So we begin again. Click for larger image
Although the drive sprockets and rear idlers are metal, the road wheels are the original Heng Long plastic fitted to the tank out of the box, they will be swopped out for Metal road wheels with rubber tyres. Same goes for the tracks, currently these fitted are "early" style metal tracks which on the real Tiger 1's from October 1943 onward were re-modelled to include cast Ice cleats in the cross bar rather than bolt on extra cleats at each end. So I will need to purchase a set of Late style metal tracks to complete the running gear.
Plastic original road wheels and early style tracks. Click for larger image
Plastic original road wheels and early style tracks. Click for larger image
Managed to pick up a correct scale 2metre aerial for the right hull aerial socket. The Reference is Aber 16-032, this will be fitted last in the build.
Aber Scale aerial in brass. Click for large image
Aber Scale aerial in brass. Click for large image
I have decided to fit a working convoy light. This one is green, I have also seen blue. What is the correct colour I have not been able to establish, hopefully someone will know as I have one of each.
Working green convoy light or should it be blue ?
Working green convoy light or should it be blue ?
Working convoy light.jpg (71.05 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
Picked up from a model fare for a bargin a few years ago, these Aber sets for the Tow cables (16-030) and the gun cleaning rods (16-025) should keep me out the pub for a while. will be intersting to see how they are put together as some features are brass proto etched parts for the clamps. Another first for me :S
Aber Tow cable and gun barrel cleaning set
Aber Tow cable and gun barrel cleaning set
Aber Tow cable and Barrel cleaning rod sets.jpg (115.7 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
Now this bit gets interesting, while I was scanning ebay I came across a few items up for sale made by Hachette Partworks Circa 2010 . These as many know were a 140(ish) part weekly issue magazine build for a 1/16th scale Tiger Late model. Some of the parts can be integrated into the Heng Long Tiger Mid-Production very well including this Late model engine deck with all the bits in the right place ie... locking latches in front of lifting handles not under them, correct shape engine vent cap lug and holding latch in correct position more to the right. Comes with Mid-Late air intake more to scale (ish) and as a bonus you can make it an opening engine deck if you use the hinge peg lugs. Earlier In this build I re-modelled the engine deck to replicate a Mid-production example, this Hachette can be grafted straight in with the same basic level of build skills that i have, I would say it is a simpler fix. This was issue 22, not bad for £5.00 inc post (6 Euro/ $7)
Hachette Mid - Late engine deck set Issue 22. click for larger image
Hachette Mid - Late engine deck set Issue 22. click for larger image
Also picked at the same time were these Hachette metal radiator grill covers with working latches Issue 23 Ebay £4.50. You could make these opening to place switches under them in a similar way the on/off switch are under the front opening hatches. I dont think you could have both the opening Engine deck AND the Opening pair of radiator grill covers as they would take too much material out of the hull top..but Im working on it B| , will be giving it some thought, have this idea of a dummy engine when opening the engine deck and dummy radiator & fans which are actually switches ?? Hmmmm.
Hachette opening Radiator vent grills and latches. Issue 23
Hachette opening Radiator vent grills and latches. Issue 23
Oh and proof that you should not go internet surfing with a credit card and a tummy ripe with Whiskey... Voyager Brass PE set. Purchased for the Tool clamps initially but the more I look the more I want to make. The real fine scale Mid-late air intake looks promising as does the jack assembly, I just need to learn how to hold my breath for 2 minutes again oh and definately an alchohol free zone !
Mid Production Brass photo etch set 1/16 from Voyager. Click for larger image
Mid Production Brass photo etch set 1/16 from Voyager. Click for larger image
Even Bosch lettering for the single headlight. how cool is that ! Click for larger image
Even Bosch lettering for the single headlight. how cool is that ! Click for larger image
One last change is... I discovered only recently something I had overlooked...the aerial tube on the right hull should be slightly raised above the deck. So jarndice thank you for pointing this out, re-built it will be.
How the aerial stowage tube should look like,raised slightly above hull. Click for larger image
How the aerial stowage tube should look like,raised slightly above hull. Click for larger image

Thanks for watching, next upload will be the work left on the Turret :thumbup:

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

This is what is left for the Turret Modifications
:S

This is the meaning of the term Obsession...
The meaning of obsession
The meaning of obsession
Obsession.PNG (58.67 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
And this is what Obsession looks like when it takes hold and wont let go ! :crazy:
And this is just for the Turret Mod's. Click for larger image
And this is just for the Turret Mod's. Click for larger image
So just to prove how obsession works, I purchase a complete Tamiya Tiger 1 1/16th Static model Sprue Part B just so i can cut out the hatch opening frame from the top of the Turret just to go with my Lid which is the correct scale (It came with Tamiya Sprue Part F ). No really im sane..honest :S
Tamiya Tiger 1 Sprue B. Click for larger image
Tamiya Tiger 1 Sprue B. Click for larger image
When Tanks-for-the-memory mentioned in his build the Hachette Commander Mid Production Cupola I always thought these parts were long since un-avaialble. Once I found my engine Hatches on Ebay I kept an eye out for the availability of other Hachette part's, mainly I was after Issue 12 which has the Correct Cupola and associated parts. It took a few years and was found it in a parts bin on a stall at Military Odessey, best £3 I have spent. I will detail both the metal Asiatam/Taigen example and the Hachette version as both need work to look correct and I decide which one to use.
Hachette Issue 12. Click for larger image
Hachette Issue 12. Click for larger image
The Schumo Turret Vent and loader Periscope cover were in the original plan to install as was the Schumo MG34 on its AA mount. I managed to pick up the Brass opening escape hatch from RCTank.de. It will take a little working out how to install and some thought of what it should show looking inside but it will be a nice touch. Oh and the plastic grey Turret Hatch locating ring ?, thats also from Tamiya Tiger 1 Sprue F ( its also has the plastic Hatch Lid )
Working opening escape hatch. Fine detail Schumo Turret vent. Periscope cover and MG34. Click for larger image
Working opening escape hatch. Fine detail Schumo Turret vent. Periscope cover and MG34. Click for larger image
The Turret Bin from Tamiya will need to be grafted onto the Heng Long Turret. The Tamiya Tiger 1 Sprue F has the lid, Sprue H has the Bin box and GunMantlet. The Voyager PE Brass kit has some latches and hinges that will be added for detailling.
Tamiya Turret Bin from Sprue H, Bin top from Sprue F. Click for larger image
Tamiya Turret Bin from Sprue H, Bin top from Sprue F. Click for larger image
These are Schumo Turret side Track holders with Asiatam spare tracks. They are a nice fine detailed set and come with a paper Template for siting.
Schumo Track Holders and Asiatam spare track links. Click for larger image
Schumo Track Holders and Asiatam spare track links. Click for larger image
The Turret will be fitted with a Recoil unit, it was purchased as a BB tank in its original form. The slight problem is the fact that the Mantlet that is supplied with the recoil unit is more or less a copy of the HL again without the correct offsett. I have a choice of using a Tamiya Mantlet or an Atak Mantlet that came with the Zimmerit kit which both have the correct offset of the barrel within the Mantlet. grafting these correct offset Mantlet's may prove a challange !
A - is the metal full length barrel with brass muzzle within the Asiatam Mantlet
B - is the original HL BB barrel ( Note how much shorter it is moulded in the recoil position)
C - is a Tamiya Mantlet ( This again is from Tamiya Tiger 1 Sprue Part H) with correct offset
D - This is the Atak Mantlet provided with the Zimmerit kit again with correct offset.
Choices Choices A to D. Click for larger image
Choices Choices A to D. Click for larger image
This Turret will be fitted with Zimmerit from the Atak's Tiger 1 Mid-Production Kit. IMHO with the horizontal split in order to separate the HL Turret in two halves you simply wont have many other choices. It will also make fitting the Schumo Turret track holders a lot easier, I have seen a few comment's on the use of Atak Zimmerit which IMHO are mis-placed, as the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention.
Atak Zimmerit Kit. Click for larger image
Atak Zimmerit Kit. Click for larger image
This is the one part of RC tanking I understand the least. Electronic's and the compatability issue's, I cant even remember if there was an instruction leaflet with this, if I did it is long gone. This is the Asiatam Recoil unit I will use to convert this BB version to recoil. I'm not even sure if it is compatable with the current crop of Clark TK control unit's that I would like to use.
Asiatam 2013 Recoil unit
Asiatam 2013 Recoil unit

Well that's the build thread up to date, everything now on will be fresh new content. Just a little thing called Christmas to get through and we should be up and running again. Thanks for watching, :thumbup: next update will be detailing the Both the Asiatam and Hachette Commander Cupola. :wave:

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I have read that contrary to some beliefs, the convoy lights were green. Not blue. I can’t back this up with a solid reference right now but I believed it enough to go with green on my initial production Tiger 1.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Heng Long Builds”