chains on tanks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
paulc
Private

chains on tanks

Post by paulc »

Quick question I'm about to start working on a Tamiya panther and Jagdpanther that I brought 2d hand and want to add some detailing to them. I want to put chains on the track holders on the side but what size do I use and where in the UK can you get some
I did mean the chains that are on the pins to keep the spare track in place in the holders. I know these are small but I don't want to get some that are out of scale
Last edited by paulc on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: chains on tanks

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I always get my chains on eBay. Simply search costume jewelry chains. Antique finish then just requires a dirty wash. Buy it by the metre for around £1 and have plenty of spare. Size depends on what you are simulating but just as important is type, that is the link type, flat, twisted etc. but all sorts are there for peanuts :thumbup:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Eastern Front wrote:Never seen any chains on tanks, they carried their own recovery cables.. The only time I have seen chains is on wheeled vehicles.
As a rule, tanks were too heavy for chains, or more accurately you would have to use anchor chain to recover a tank as it would have similar strength as the tow cables.

Hope this helps...

Cheers
He means the tiny chains that held the spare track holder pins and stopped them getting lost
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Military vehicles retain fuel and inspection caps and tow hook pintle pins and sundry other small loose articles by chaining them in place,
Larger items such as pickaxe Handles and Spades are usually held down by leather or canvas straps,
German Tanks had a plethora of Wing/Butterfly nuts used as constituent parts of the many clamps holding down Tow Ropes and Gun Barrel cleaning rods as well as Radio Aerials and all manner of Tools.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Have you got a link for the metal track link holders that you mentioned? I would very much appreciate that. I have three different Panthers that all need those holders.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
Crazy Joe sees you and goes you one better! ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Bow Detail.jpg
Bow Detail.jpg
Scale chain and rope from Hobby Lobby.jpg
Scale chain and rope from Hobby Lobby.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
General Jumbo01

No Painless, EF has already said 'Never seen any chains on tanks' so that last image must be incorrect. No, wait.... that was no tank, it was a Sherman Sh*t mover! Always covered in garbage :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

There are various period film footage segments showing tracked vehicles towing wheeled ones in mud in Russia using chain.
I assume many vehicles carried chain for this purpose in certain theatres rather than try to attach their larger cables onto vehicles not set up with tow points that can accept the large eye on the end.
Supposition at best but it’s plausible & on archived film .

I promised myself that any other Panther I did after my Zu Fuss would get purchased spare track hangers rather that made ones............it’s just easier, or I’m lazier !! :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It was a Court Martial offence in the German Armed Forces for a Tiger to tow another Tiger although there are photographs that show it happening.
The problem was that the 2/3 Famo's that were needed to do the job were almost never available.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01

Indeed there are photos out there of a Tiger pulling a Tiger pulling a dead Tiger! The fragile gearboxes was, l understand, the towing problem.

Return to “General Questions”