Tiger 1 detailed build.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tiger 1 detailed build.

Post by jarndice »

If you bought the "ABER" Tiger 1 Exhaust PE (16007) You could gently bend the preformed sheet into the curve that is the recognised norm or if you want to make the true early Exhaust shrouds you can with a little extra effort produce that form,
It comes with all the predrilled locating tags that you would need to measure and drill yourself if you go the DIY route.
I like making my own parts for my Tanks but not when somebody is selling a product that is far better than anything I could make.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Well here is my attempt at scratch building and exhaust shield. I still need to add all the fixings and what not but it looks like it will last muster for me. It's also super malleable so wear and tear over time will add character. Which I like.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Forgot to add the photo. Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Beautiful work! If you were modeling an earlier Tiger you wouldn’t have to bother with a shield at all. ;)
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Next build will be a panzer iv so no shields at all yay.

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

:haha: :haha: :haha: Do not for one moment think that the Panzer 4 is going to be easier than a Tiger 1, Take it from someone who has so far built nearly all variants with two more in various stages of build in the workshop,
Tamiya used to be the best of the type available but Taigens latest version has almost drawn level except for the lack of any slope of the engine bay.
If you can find a Heng Long PZ4 Body.
A Taigen Metal Hull and Taigens Latest Turret you will have the bare essentials of a very good Panzer 4.
The reason I stipulate a Heng Long Body is because all the fixtures and fittings are removable whereas the Taigens fixtures and fittings are moulded on to the body and it is a nightmare getting them off if/when you want to paint the Tank.
Lots of upgrades are available but they are variant dependant so be careful you are getting the right stuff.
It is well worth while getting to know the PZ4 in all its myriad diversity.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

You have any good reference books or links that I can read. I plan in doing a version with side skirts. I have the taigen kit in order.

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi,
There are two books in particular that I return to time after time when building Panzer 4s, They are,
Book one----
Osprey Modelling, Modelling the Late Panzerkampfwagen IV, ISBN 978-1-84603-112-0
This is a soft cover book that shows how to build and detail a Panzer 4 Ausf "G"(F2) ---Ausf "H" ---Ausf "J" in 1/35 scale but it is totally relevant to 1/16 scale.
Book two----
Images of War, Panzer IV at War 1939 ----1945
ISBN 978-1-84884-681-4
This is a soft cover book full of black and white photographs some rather grainy but great if you are looking for detail, All PZ4 variants are covered.

There will be some problems that you will encounter with Taigens PZ4 as well as some things you will need to remove or alter,
The body of the Real thing as well as the Tamiya version slopes down over the engine bay by about 5 degrees from the turret to the end plate,
Neither Heng Longs or Taigens do they are flat.
The Late Ausf "G" Ausf "H and the Ausf "J" relocated the Radio Aerial from a position on the left side of the body (Beneath the turret) (Left and right is when you are at the front of the Tank looking to the back) to the Right rear flank,
It dispensed with the Aerial Stowage Channel also on the left side of the body beneath the Turret,
The Taigen main gun has an Aerial Deflector fitted on the base of the main gun and its mantlet,
This was fitted to force the Aerial into the stowage channel when the Turret turned,
This device needs to be removed, Not a difficult job as long as the hobby knife blade is sharp,
The Pre Ausf "H" Cupolas were of the twin hatch design, The Ausf "H" and "J" Cupolas were fitted with a one piece hatch,
The Tamiya PZ4 has a one piece hatch, the Heng Long and the Taigen do not and while the earlier wrong shape Taigen Turrets had removable Cupolas allowing you to modify the Cupola the new correct Taigen Turrets Cupola is a part of the Metal Turret,
The Late model Ausf "G" and the Ausf "H" and "J" Had Turret "Shurtzen" Armour and the Late Ausf "H" and all Ausf "Js" had track protection armour as well,
Steel Plates on the "H" but Steel Mesh on the "J" This "Shurtzen" armour is available ready made at various dealers but you will need to Pin Vice the Mounting holes for it,
MK Modellbau make a very realistic Radio Aerial that mounts on the Right Rear Flank but you will need a mount for it, They can be bought from a number of dealers,
A Tip, Don't rely on Glue alone to hold it in place,
Pin vice a hole into the side of the body and screw it in with a self tapping screw or tap a thread and drive a bolt into place,
The frontal armour of the PZ 4 in front of the drivers and Radio Operators positions on the PZ4 "G" "H" and "J" variants was added to by bolt on"Applique" Armour which one of the Forums members "WOZ" makes via "Shapeways", An easy fit and it really adds to the look.
The rear and the left side of the Late Model PZ4s had a number of changes including a new air cleaner/Exhaust system which I try to avoid building/fitting :lolno: ,
Finally a word about Zimmerit,
This paste was applied to all German Tanks in the middle years of WW2, Its purpose was to prevent Magnetic Mines from sticking to the Tank,
Sometime in 1944 a clerk in the War Dept in Berlin realised that the only Army in the ETO using Magnetic Mines was the GERMAN ARMY,
I think you could call this a "Dohh" Moment :lolno:
It was discontinued soon after so from a modellers viewpoint it can be left off and still be an accurate depiction of a late model PZ4.
I hope this helps you.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Super helpful my man, I will be keeping those notes handy for the panzer IV build, I shall also pick up those two books aswell. Thanks for the help boss. Looks like I will have to open up another thread here soon.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

I didn't like how flimsy the originals were. So I remade them in thicker sheet. One down so far. Just the other one to make. Now I need to get some small bolts. Anyone has any links Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV

Return to “Other Builds”