Tiger1 cupola change early to late

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Tiger1 cupola change early to late

Post by ronnie42 »

Metal turret the cupola looks like its sitting high . If so should i just use a plastic turret ?
this looks odd
this looks odd
Is this better for hight above turret roof.
Is this better for hight above turret roof.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Tiger1 cupola change early to late

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If after checking plenty of photos of real ones, not models, it is too high then would it sit any lower on a plastic turret? There's nothing to stop you filing down both the base of the cupola and the positioning lip of the opening until it sits correctly. Go for it!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-parts/tiger1
If you compare the plastic and metal turrets, with the late cupola they look about the same height. That's probably because the moulds are the same.
Taigen late turret-metal
Taigen late turret-metal
tag120703.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Late turret-plastic
Late turret-plastic
tag120701.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Sorry, they're a bit blurry; they're enlarged thumbnails.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks Plastic is easier to cut away and less strain on the rotation. This was from the Taigen Tiger kit, decided to use a plastic turret on the build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Thanks Plastic is easier to cut away and less strain on the rotation. This was from the Taigen Tiger kit, decided to use a plastic turret on the build.
In the apparent fervent race a couple years ago, for members to add as much 'metal' to their tanks as possible (and even falling for, and buying, tanks with the 'all-metal' label, that were anything but...) :/ , I put metal turrets on two of my Tigers. With hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered. Plastic ismuch easier to modify, and it puts less strain on the upper hull, geartrain, MFU etc., than its metal cousin.
That said, a truly all-metal (alloy) tank a la Armortek, still probably represents the peak of ownership ambitions for many rc tank modellers, I'd guess. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Large scale tanks are cheap in comparison to the tank transporter required . If you buy an ARMORTEC you will need a Sprinter van and ramps to take it to the playpark, :S
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

For as long as we in this hobby upgrade and fix the perceived failings in our Tanks then ABS Turrets and Tank Body's will be the better option,
It is too much like hard work trying to repair any error on a metal Turret or Tank Body and a metal turret on an unreinforced ABS Body is asking for trouble.
A true all metal Tank would make a fine static ornament but I have little time for shelf queens that is why I have forsworn building large scale non RC Models with the exception of models that add to a diorama that includes RC Aircraft and Trucks and Tanks(And a static Motorcycle :haha: ).
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”