Using Photo-etch parts

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Using Photo-etch parts

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
When the tip of your finger is the work table surface under the magnifying lens and you are holding your breath so as not to blow the folded brass off by accident... You are a Modeling Detailer and the Detail Devil is right there at your shoulder, chuckling. Adds so much when it is done tho'. So all puns aside, bring on the Eye Candy!
regards,
Painless
Afternoon, Painless!
Yes, well, I've seen your meticulous handiwork and wonder how you (Thinking of Shaun, and his upcoming peeper-op).. ever managed to fit those Lilliputian parts, with the incipient cataracts you once had.
My admiration knows no bounds. :thumbup: :D
Mini-details require not only good eyes (even with a lupe) and good hands; but also excellent hand/eye co-ordination.
I can manage the coordination. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Another little tip. Always check inside your shoes/slippers! :D
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Another little tip. Always check inside your shoes/slippers! :D
Yes, and all the neighbouring cleavage- if you're a fan of 'Carry On' films.
I can just image Kenneth Connor's 'qwooor!!!' at retrieving the wayward component. :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Incidentally, these are the side skirts I received (came free with a battered Tamiya):
Voyager Tiger 1 skirts
Voyager Tiger 1 skirts
and this is the company:
http://www.voyagermodel.com/INDEX.ASP
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Roy,
Yes, it is a lot more fun ( again ) these days with renewed eyesight. I suppose that I did not know then that I had a problem with my eyes and just put it down to tiredness, etc. I have an enormous, lighted magnifier lens on my tensor lamp and that is what I use when miniature PE is called for. No sense getting eyestrain no matter what shape your eyes are in. ;o) Thank you, Sir. I am following along on your escapades and enjoying the builds immensely. I have half the current truck chassis wired and hope to be able to screw everything back together soon and apply markings. Then there is the towable artillery but that should be a 'doddle' as it is just a straight build model kit. ;o)
regards,
Painless

P.S. ABER and VOYAGER are the big names in PE. I've worked a lot with ABER on 1/16 and a little with VOYAGER ( for smaller scales ) Both are fiddly but Voyager parts seem to be more robust.
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:One useful trick is to wrap an old handkerchief or stocking over the nozzle of the vacuum. If you stop at regular intervals, it does make searching through the rubbish easier. Still does not find all my missing pieces though.
Yes, that can be a very useful trick, in fact, so useful that I once did a video on how to do it. I used a piece of nylon stocking that I got from a girl I know and wrapped it around the nozzle with a rubber band and I haven't lost a small piece since.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

My masochistic nature embraces PE, I agree that Voyager is easier to work with`indeed where there is an overlap in the product range I will forgo Abers product and take Voyagers usually cheaper and simpler alternative,
A tip when it comes to joining PE to PE is to use Liquid solder and a butane torch,
Brush on the solder sparingly along the relevant seam, apply the heat and a neat join (after a bit of practice) is the end result.
If retaining loose PE is the problem then I would suggest using a thin sheet of Plasticine to keep it safe until you need it.
I have as it has already been mentioned put my builds on hold until the New Year,
I have been cheered by Painless positive response to his treatment and the excellent results of the operation, :thumbup:
In the UK using the free NHS (National Health Service) there are two particular differences from using a private surgeon, (Although most Cataract operations carried out by the NHS are actually done through a private provider.)
The first is that one eye is operated on very soon after the cataracts have been confirmed the other eye approximately six months later, the second difference is that the NHS ask whether you want a "Distance Lens or a Reading Lens"?
If you want both you have to go private,
The only real downside is that wearing spectacles becomes a must because of the inability of the manmade lens being able to adjust ones vision whereas the multi-lens can often negate the need for glasses,
A small price for a return to decent sight. :D
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Jarndice,
Here it was one eye then 30 days later, the other eye was operated on. I went for the distance lens since it offered the best improvement for middle to distance usage ( I spend a lot of time outdoors here on the property ) It works best for daily tasks such as house cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc... I can read without the 'light magnification' eyeglasses they provided but find for extended periods and for 'very' close up modeling work, the glasses are super useful to prevent eye strain.
regards and enjoy your new clarity of vision,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have been bending and soldering a lot of PE lately and I found that a PE bending tool is HIGHLY recommended for larger PE parts that need to be bent. I also don't solder them with my soldering iron anymore. I picked up some solder paste and flux. After applying the flux and paste to the parts I get the solder to flow using my heat gun that has multiple tip sizes and a temp control. Works really well and doesn't leave a bunch of excess solder to clean up. I too need one of those lit magnifying lamps to see a lot of the parts and do the work.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks all, for the useful tips! One of the sites I linked to earlier (Scale Model Guide) suggested that any good PE kit should include a PE folder/bending tool, as well as some decent CA superglue. Zap a gap was recommended.
Any favourite bonding agents here, for diehard PE modellers?

Return to “General Discussion”