Using Photo-etch parts

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Using Photo-etch parts

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Aside from fitting some PE grills to the engine deck of my first Tiger 1, I've not had any experience of using PE parts. Lately, though, I received two VoyagerModel packages (Side skirts/ Fenders) as part of another package. These prompted a bit of surfing, where I found a couple of really useful guides to PE parts usage and fitting. Do check 'em out, if you're interested.
Typical Photo-Etch sheet
Typical Photo-Etch sheet
http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construc ... ts-models/
http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Photoetch/pe.htm
If I find, eventually, I have no use for the Voyager parts, I might well put them on offer here. :) These look like they need watchmaker hands and eyes :problem: I have an illuminated Lupe lamp, and that assists the
peepers; but there's not much I can do about the Gherkin fingers. :lolno: ;)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Using Photo-etch parts

Post by jhamm »

You pay a lot of attention!
These parts are so small - don´t inhale... :haha:

I have the same problem too,
parts which smaller than 1mmx5mm is too small for my fingers.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I think I must have a degree of masochistic tendencies as I keep buying photo etch sets for my tanks. I am currently battling with the one for my Panzer 38(T). Each time I start, my admiration for people who produce all those masterpieces grows exponentially. I struggle every time, yet there are people who use photo tech in 1/35 scale!!!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
When the tip of your finger is the work table surface under the magnifying lens and you are holding your breath so as not to blow the folded brass off by accident... You are a Modeling Detailer and the Detail Devil is right there at your shoulder, chuckling. Adds so much when it is done tho'. So all puns aside, bring on the Eye Candy!
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Not so toy like any more.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

It's what we have children and grandchildren for :D When you snip off the part you want it's inbuilt DNA causes it to spring skywards away from the work bench only to bounce off a nearby hard surface and fire across the room deep into an unlit area of long shagpile. Finding it is their job!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

General Jumbo01 wrote:It's what we have children and grandchildren for :D When you snip off the part you want it's inbuilt DNA causes it to spring skywards away from the work bench only to bounce off a nearby hard surface and fire across the room deep into an unlit area of long shagpile. Finding it is their job!
Unfortunately I gave no children or grandchildren so when the pieces run away, they tend to stay lost. I have tried putting down a dust sheet but the brass seems to find its way through! It does mean however, that of necessity I have learned some very basic brass scratchbuilding to produce passable replacements
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Replacement parts are far cheaper than children so don't feel hard done by! ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:It's what we have children and grandchildren for :D When you snip off the part you want it's inbuilt DNA causes it to spring skywards away from the work bench only to bounce off a nearby hard surface and fire across the room deep into an unlit area of long shagpile. Finding it is their job!
Even without going down to the micro, inhalable, tank parts level (...and what must PE fitting be like at 1:35 scale :O ) I still find bits pinging off into oblivion. I've forgotten how many times, before emptying the vacuum cleaner's dust receptacle, I've emptied the contents onto an old newspaper to search for the most recent loss. :/
I have kids and grandchildren, but they live so far away, they might as well have a lunar postcode. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

One useful trick is to wrap an old handkerchief or stocking over the nozzle of the vacuum. If you stop at regular intervals, it does make searching through the rubbish easier. Still does not find all my missing pieces though.
Richard
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:
Unfortunately I gave no children or grandchildren so when the pieces run away, they tend to stay lost. I have tried putting down a dust sheet but the brass seems to find its way through! It does mean however, that of necessity I have learned some very basic brass scratchbuilding to produce passable replacements

Ditto, Richard, apart from the Offspring. I chew quite a lot of xylitol chewing gum when modelmaking. The type I prefer comes in handy screwtop plastic containers. These end up labelled 'Tamiya 'A' parts', 'B' parts and so on. Ditto for Taigen, HL etc.
The plastic packets that Tamiya screws appear in, have a habit of spitting and disgorging their contents all over the floor. :O >:<
For this reason, I cut them open with extreme care, and transfer the bits to said containers...lest I end up creaking, and cursing, along the floor with a lupe and a magnet (where appropriate :D )

Return to “General Discussion”