Hello from South Wales

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Hello from South Wales

Post by jarndice »

My introduction to the world of computing came in the 70s after reading an advertisement in the Daily Telegraph for a thing called a Sinclair ZX80,
I sent my cheque off (No internet or Debit Cards) and a week later a large parcel was delivered, It contained two large books and lots of little boxes,
One book was a teach yourself "Basic" the other was "How to build a computer",
I learnt more about soldering in the following week than all the time I spent at college and in the workshop studying mechanical engineering,
There was almost no memory in the thing but it did teach me how to get the very best from every byte,
After wearing out the keyboard it was time for a change.
I elevated my computing to the lofty height's of the Spectrum 48 k,
Ahh Nirvana :lolno:
I look at what Computer World are selling and I feel like crying at the memory available on modern home PCs and the waste that so called programmers incorporate into almost every application to be found on them.
They don't know their born :haha:
Yes I know I am getting old :(
Sorry Matt, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
We look forward to all the help you can give us in the field of electrickery, "Ref" Catweasle :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
TxRx
Recruit

Post by TxRx »

jarndice wrote: After wearing out the keyboard it was time for a change.
I elevated my computing to the lofty height's of the Spectrum 48 k,

Sorry Matt, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
We look forward to all the help you can give us in the field of electrickery, "Ref" Catweasle :haha:
Thanks for the welcome, as it happens I have “Over the spectrum” book and C64 assembly language course with cassette on my work desk that I show to the new graduates; some don’t even know what the cassette is!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Ah, but heard yesterday that in 2019 vinyl outsold CDs. My surprise shows my age - CDs are old hat now whilst good old vinyl is trendy!

Welcome to the forum :wave:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but heard yesterday that in 2019 vinyl outsold CDs. My surprise shows my age - CDs are old hat now whilst good old vinyl is trendy!

Welcome to the forum :wave:
:D
Maybe codpieces will come back into fashion too! :D
Wasn't there a time when folk scoffed at dated Soviet retro aircraft technology? It was said that the MiG 29 still had wires, pulleys and electronic valves, instead of 'fly-by-wire' tech, and digital systems.
Then it emerged that Nuclear blast EMP (or even the Sun's own roughly decennial outburst of EMP) could totally neutalise sophisticated Western tech in planes and communications, where valve- powered Soviet forces could indulge in a lazy afternoon's incursion, without fear of redress.
Come to think of it; they can do that anyway :lolno:
As a music studio enthusiast, I've long appreciated (and preferred) the sound- if the not the hum- of valve amps.
Ooops..Flin Da Fi..and back to Wales. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

There's nothing like the rich sound of analogue but given recent new or old remastered vinyl are all digitally mastered so.... What's the point? I've bought new copies of albums l already have and they sound terrible! And now we've bought back aircraft carriers to our fleet we can't afford to run them both so we are trying to lease one to the US! Russia is so happy - only last week they declared their joy at having two new huge sitting duck targets to play with. Progress.

Wales, nevertheless, seems to be a well supported place for RC tank retailers and clubs. Must find an excuse to visit.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Hi any news on club meets this year

Return to “Introduce Yourself”