Broadband (UK)

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Broadband (UK)

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you live in the UK and you are reading this then l guess you use broadband. Packages vary but while we are still in the Black period its worth checking out the offers, even if you are still in contract.

I have just doubled my speed to 150 mbs yet halved my monthly bill. I was with Sky and have not been too pleased with their support so it was a no brainer but even if l had been in contract the penalty for leaving early would have been less than a couple of months savings! Would the same apply to you??? Just a thought :)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Broadband (UK)

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and so which ISP has allowed you to halve your bill, whilst doubling the megabits? I now have a fibre connection- yes, here in one of the remotest parts of Britain; but it did take a local protest group, and pressure from the Highland Council to strongarm BT into providing the cabling; and the Scottish Government, quite a lot of the funding. :shh:
Only 6.5% of British homes can get full-fibre broadband, apparently, and so from being branded fibre-deprived, and previously with 5mbs ( :/ ) ADSL... we are now fibre flaunters. :haha:
I could have 330mbs +; but my current modest 40Mbs is fast enough for 4K streaming, and would be fine for WOT... :think: 330mbs is also rather pricey
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Talk Talk is the agent that will take the money. All the technical stuff is managed by Open Reach (BT in in any other universe) and they guarantee a 110mbps minimum. I used to get a reliable 76mbps from BT some years ago but when Sky offered me a free year of 36mbps l switched. After a few months l rarely got more than 20mbps andoftern far less but Sky's support dept was simply useless. I'm hoping for better!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Talk Talk is the agent that will take the money. All the technical stuff is managed by Open Reach (BT in in any other universe) and they guarantee a 110mbps minimum. I used to get a reliable 76mbps from BT some years ago but when Sky offered me a free year of 36mbps l switched. After a few months l rarely got more than 20mbps andoftern far less but Sky's support dept was simply useless. I'm hoping for better!
BT actually guarantee the speed you're coughing up for and, from what I've read (and it's my experience too), they keep their promise. :)
I never thought I'd having anything positive to say about BT ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

How very opportune this thread is.
I also luxuriate in the brave new full fibre world care of Talk Talk` although when lighting the wick this morning the puter came to life but the modem decided to take the morning off.
Patently obviously it is now on line, Why did it fail ? I do not know nor indeed do I know why it came back to life but here I am looking forward to annoying the big wide world again :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01

I've got nothing bad to say about BT but their current offers are 24 months and not as cheap. Otherwise, a solid service.

Has anyone out there had any great bargain purchases this weekend, not broadband but anything? I found a ring style video doorbell under 20 quid and a half price LG 24" smart TV at Currys/PCW with a latest model Google nest for a tenner but found nothing special in the RC tank field.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I changed from BT to TALK TALK not because of the Fibre but because at the time Talk Talks broadband service was and still is unlimited BT was not and was more expensive,
The irony is BT are contracted by Talk Talk to service my connection. :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

My experience with Talk talk is having my personal details leaked by them several years ago and I'm still getting scam calls from it! I will NEVER use Talk talk again even if they gave me free broadband.

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “Off topic”