Torro Panther repaint

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Chelios
Recruit

Torro Panther repaint

Post by Chelios »

I bought a Torro Panther along with a Tiger I for a pretty good price a while ago. Seller claimed that the Panther was metal but alas it wasn't (the Tiger did have metal tracks, hull and drive wheels so no complaints there).

Torro advertises it as being "airbrushed but it looks like it's been painted with a spraycan (drips and really thick paints) so I decided to repaint it. The camo looks way too dark at the moment, you can barely tell the green from the brown. Also bought metal tracks, drive wheels and hull to upgrade it. Electronics will remain stock for now.

I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing as it's been a while since I did any kind of modelling (did some very amateurish 1/35 scale 20-ish years ago) but we'll see how it goes. At least I have the internet now to look up tips and tricks :)

I'm just waiting on some photo-etched grills for the rear deck and then I'll probably start disassembling it and putting on the primer coat. This isn't going to be a 100% realistic build. If a colour is off, it's off. Not a stickler for details at the moment, I'm learning as I go :)

Picture of the stock thank and upgrades to start with:

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Torro Panther repaint

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Good luck Chelios, I know what you mean about not being sure what to do. I too did some amateurish 35th scale modelling about 45 years ago, and I find this 16th scale quite daunting, although it should be easier to scratch build parts in this scale, the painting definitely worries me :{

So, you're not alone ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Chelios
Recruit

Post by Chelios »

Yeah, I started doing the move from the old shell to the new one today and I already find that daunting. Although it's probably more because the quality of everything is kind of... low. Hot glue everywhere. I attached the 3 main components in the new hull with velcro in case I need to remove or replace anything. Much handier than the globs of hot glue that held it together before.

It's also very noticeable how different the front part of the hull is. The metal one is much longer in the front.

Chelios
Recruit

Post by Chelios »

Wow, exactly a year later, but I've continued building the Panther :)
I added a texture on the hull (bought a new one, old hull didn't align with the new chassis) with AK Interactive Metalcast. Not sure how realistic it is but it's better than plain plastic I think. And painted basecoat with an oxide red primer. Still working on the turret. I may add a nightsight on the turret since I bought the later steel wheels (and make it a late war Panther).

Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Chelios wrote: Not a stickler for details at the moment
I think we have all said that once.... And then it takes hold... more power than Frodo's ring. "me wants it, we needs it" ... it will happen, you just wait 8)

Good luck with your build,look forward to the updates.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Chelios
Recruit

Post by Chelios »

Yeah, I know the real steel is smooth but I somehow thought the plain plastic was too smooth to be realistic. We'll see, I tried not to go too overboard with it :)
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Just sand the surfaces, that will knock the effect back and will look much better.
Chelios
Recruit

Post by Chelios »

Well, this is what I've got so far. The primer isn't holding on super hard on the metal surfaces. Hope the rest of the paint will stick. Tried doing some weld lines for the first time ever. Compound putty is tricky stuff -_-. I also forgot to fill the gaps on the side mounted cylinder, will redo that part.

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I think it’s coming along splendidly. Well done.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Hey there Chelios,

Please do not be too critical on yourself buddy. Your first RC tank is like your first date, you dont really know what to say or do but you will work out what is best for things to develope between you. A good Forum will help you along the way to making your first steps with encouragement and help, lets hope we all give a little lift when you need it. All Rc Tanks do not need to be perfect, as long as they are perfect for you, keep the posts coming, its great to see you coming along. :thumbup:
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".

Return to “Heng Long Builds”