Using HL v.6.0 electronics in a Tamiya tank-doable?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Re: Using HL v.6.0 electronics in a Tamiya tank-doable?

Post by frankie »

I was pleasantly surprised at the new HL electronics...ok, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles..it may not be the correct sound but at least it sounds like “a tank”...it doesn’t jump back like a scolded cat when fired...the slow speed crawl is really, really good... :thumbup:
I think for about £100 it’s a good system plus you get a whole tank attached... :haha:
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The beauty of the Heng Long V6.0/1 is that for one affordable price and one board you have both Airsoft and I/R that gives the 1/16 Tamiya "Static" poverty struck owner the opportunity to run the gamut from airsoft to I/R and still remain within their budget.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, if having costs down is important, I already gave you a nice setup for about 40 euros.
You all know I am the master of saving dough, lol.

I also never battle. Even when I could do it with my children, what we enjoy is just to crawl the tanks in our scenarios, night patrols and so on.

And, I dont know, I just love to use my own motor and user sounds, being able to play the tank commander voices at will is one of our favorite parts of the hobby.

Of course If you dont like it (in fact I know a bunch of people who play with absolutelly no sound) a heng long board will make the job.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

frankie wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out here, at the risk of upsetting wiser more experienced tankers, but not everyone has a tamiya/elmod budget or wants an IR battler...I think the reason the Grantham club is so successful is that it doesn’t matter if you have a std HL straight out of the box, a 100% historically accurate model or a multi-surface F1 battle tank...all that matters is you turn up and enjoy the day...nothing more than that...
That's great news and clearly the right way to go to get more clubs going. The best way to kill a hobby is to have no where to do it. Well done Grantham.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:Max, I read Fsttanks Heng Long V6.0 Battle System review on RCU and he drew the conclusion that with just a few easy NON Permanent modifications (Which he clearly explained) the Heng Long Tank with a V6.0 could fight a Tamiya and/or a Taigen on parity,
You should give it a read,
I learnt a lot from it.
Yeah, I read it, even though I really don't like that guy, and they still haven't addressed battle damage. The HL will take and receive hits from a Tammy, but THAT'S ALL. If you have HL tanks on the field that suffer no battle damage and have no reload time against Tamiya tanks that are creeping along after taking hits and have to wait nine seconds between shots the Tamiyas will be at a distinct disadvantage. And his idea to count to nine between shots is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I can see tons of fights starting just because of that. A level playing field is crucial, and for now the HL tanks just ain't cuttin' it. Hopefully that will improve.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Well, if having costs down is important, I already gave you a nice setup for about 40 euros.
You all know I am the master of saving dough, lol.

I also never battle. Even when I could do it with my children, what we enjoy is just to crawl the tanks in our scenarios, night patrols and so on.

And, I dont know, I just love to use my own motor and user sounds, being able to play the tank commander voices at will is one of our favorite parts of the hobby.

Of course If you dont like it (in fact I know a bunch of people who play with absolutelly no sound) a heng long board will make the job.
:D We all know how much you love and cherish your radios, Rad, and the way they can unleash your mind-boggling array of favourite sounds. This affection, and acquired learning, has raised you to level of Radio Boffin here on RCTW. :thumbup:
However... £60 gets the MFU and the radio. What's more, the radio does the job very well. This also means that the model has its own TX, and if you choose to sell it later, you can offer the tank as a complete RTR package. Consequently, the package is more attractive to a prospective buyer. I prefer all my tanks to have individual controllers, even though I could put a lot of them on the Taranis, or the Spektrum. Yes, they take up more room- and batteries, but that's me. :/
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

I would go for the 6.1 board or the Haya 6.3 which is the same but with different handset. They would give you the option of servo recoil and elevation instead of trying to get the tamiya units to work
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Not sure how available the HL 'extras' are for the 6.1 yet but if the 6.1 price is reasonable it would make sense to use it over the 6.0, except.... I'm not sure about the transmitter design. Maybe it will grow on me?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi 43rd If you are going to use the Taigen gearbox and the Tamiya Sprockets don't fit i might be interested in the sprockets, idlers and tracks. :O
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Hi 43rd If you are going to use the Taigen gearbox and the Tamiya Sprockets don't fit i might be interested in the sprockets, idlers and tracks. :O
Thanks, Ronnie. I shall certainly bear that in mind. :thumbup:
Maybe it's part of the RC tank disease, that enthusiasts simply can't wait to start another project before finishing the last one..... well, er..last SIX in my case. :/ With Hogmanay looming not so far yonder in time, I'm looking to be a wee bit more disciplined in the New Year. This means resolving to finish the Comet, and also putting the finishing touches to my 96% completed Cromwell (a runner, but could be a looker :) ).
Fat chance, probably, but worth the effort. ;)
Tamiya gearboxes are, with the exception of the Abrams, Leopard and Tiger 1) essentially identical. Only the output shaft appears to vary from model to model. Now, I' ve a brace of old boxes that don't seem to fit anything, as the output shafts were partially adapted for someone else's suspended project. If I could get the Jagdpanther output shafts, the entire drivetrain could be Tamiya based.
Anyway, that's very much in the future. I understand that ETO boxes (real lookers) will work with the Tamiya drivetrain; but they're really, really pricey. :crazy: For the limited amount of exertion my tanks undertake , I'd find it hard to justify buying them. I'd also have to wash dishes in the local watering hole, for a year, to help with the cost :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”