Using HL v.6.0 electronics in a Tamiya tank-doable?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Using HL v.6.0 electronics in a Tamiya tank-doable?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Given that over the years one of the main objections to Heng Long, and Taigen MFU controllers, was the fact that there was one-sound-fits-all effects package, I wonder whether the significant improvements in sounds, as well as proportional control systems in HL's latest V6.0 (or 6.1) package might make it a candidate for the Tamiya Tiger, Panther, or King Tiger? After all, the new HL Tiger engine effects wouldn't sound that much out of place in any of them (similar Maybach engines).
Static versions of these models are much cheaper (when obtainable) than the full option ones, and thus it's reasonable to ask how well the V6.0 package might manage Tamiya electro-mechanicals (elevation, rotation and recoil) instead of the prohibitively expensive DMD MFU units. The two Tamiya units needed for most models, are heading stratospherically into the £400 range these days- and that with a fairly uninspring performance. :(
OK, Heng Long controllers can't fire Tamiya's flash unit- but a high output LED could be used instead. Anyone got an idea of the other likely obstacles to be encountered giving a Tamiya the HL transplant?
Different connectors, yes- but not a major issue there. What else? How practical, or impractical could this be?
Advantages of fitting the v6.0 unit might be: using a smoker; having working front and rear lights; more internal space within the hull (especially handy for the Pz IV) etc., as well as saving around £300.
Just a thought... :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Using HL v.6.0 electronics in a Tamiya tank-doable?

Post by Max-U52 »

The only problem is that you won't be able to use that tank for most Club battles. Most clubs require speed reduction due to battle damage and flashing LEDs when you take a hit and the HL just doesn't have that. HL also does not have different weight classes, it's just six hits and your dead.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max, I read Fsttanks Heng Long V6.0 Battle System review on RCU and he drew the conclusion that with just a few easy NON Permanent modifications (Which he clearly explained) the Heng Long Tank with a V6.0 could fight a Tamiya and/or a Taigen on parity,
You should give it a read,
I learnt a lot from it.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Again, I would not waste not even an Euro in the Heng Long electronics. If I can not use a hobby grade radio, those electronics are still absolutely unusable for me.

400 pounds for Tamiya electronics? For god's sake, I paid less for the entire brand new kits!
If you really want Tamiya electronics, you can get them almost brand new in german forums for about 100 euros. Most of people there use Elmod, Beiers, TKV3 among others.

But what I would do is to get the Elmod. If it is to expensive, an IBU, or even make my own with the following:
A double Esc for controlling the motors. (15 euros)
A cheap Esc for turret rotation. (2 euros)
Servo elevation and recoil. (2-3 euros)
A benedini mini for tons of lights and sounds, including smoke control and more (20 euros)
All of that free shipping

With that I saved you 400 euros and you get an amazing tank with way functions than any IBU or Clark board out there (except the IR battle functions)
If battling is a must you can always fit one of those mako boards from rc tanks australia.

And done.

But if you still want to fit heng long electronics is as easy as replacing the connectors and to follow the diagrams. I had heng long electronics in a tamiya tank, but with an adaptor to use my own radio.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If clubs insist everyone uses Tamiya's IR systems AND configurations then its no wonder they are so few and far between and struggle to get members.

That aside, using a v6 mfu sounds like a fun challenge. The latest Taigen mfu can also be purchased with the correct sound module and they are supplied with connecting cables to allow the use of a hobby grade radio system - like the SkyFryTryi6X (Sorry, had to be done!) but you won't have all the trannie switchable function.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You do not have to use a Tamiya Battle system to fight a Tank you only have to have a Tank that has an I/R system that CONFORMS to the Tamiya standard such as the IBU/ELMOD/ CLARK/AST2/Lightly modified Heng Long V6.0/1 boards.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

So Taigen/Torro RTR owners can't battle each other too, in a separate battle session of course? If not we are cutting off our noses to spite our faces - we should be supportive and encouraging new members, shouldn't we?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

I’m going to stick my neck out here, at the risk of upsetting wiser more experienced tankers, but not everyone has a tamiya/elmod budget or wants an IR battler...I think the reason the Grantham club is so successful is that it doesn’t matter if you have a std HL straight out of the box, a 100% historically accurate model or a multi-surface F1 battle tank...all that matters is you turn up and enjoy the day...nothing more than that...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

frankie wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out here, at the risk of upsetting wiser more experienced tankers, but not everyone has a tamiya/elmod budget or wants an IR battler...I think the reason the Grantham club is so successful is that it doesn’t matter if you have a std HL straight out of the box, a 100% historically accurate model or a multi-surface F1 battle tank...all that matters is you turn up and enjoy the day...nothing more than that...
Thanks, Frankie, I think that's roughly on the lines of what I was thinking. Big budget setups are well beyond many folk (especially those with unconverted partners :D )
IBU and Elmod have an excellent proven track record (mild pun intended) when it comes to controllers; but if your brief is to build a functioning Tamiya model from a static kit (non- full-option), a quality sub-£60 controller would seem like a good way of going about it.
I have a display model Tamiya Jagdpanther, which is less than half the price of the full-option model. I'd like to try a TK 6.0 in it, and even a Taigen set of steel gearboxes; but the boxes might be a too impractical. The aim is to keep the cost down, whilst retaining decent quality.
At the same time, the battling aspect is of no consequence for me and, I expect, quite a few others. When you don't live anywhere near a club, and have no-one to battle with Airsoft is the only shooting option :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

I was pleasantly surprised at the new HL electronics...ok, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles..it may not be the correct sound but at least it sounds like “a tank”...it doesn’t jump back like a scolded cat when fired...the slow speed crawl is really, really good... :thumbup:
I think for about £100 it’s a good system plus you get a whole tank attached... :haha:
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/

Return to “General Questions”