upgraded HL tiger 1 to 2.4

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
madbadger
Private

upgraded HL tiger 1 to 2.4

Post by madbadger »

Just upgraded my HL tiger 1 to the latest 2.4ghz with the TK-6.0.

first thing none of the wiring plugs match!! so chopped all the wires off and started fresh. I have the tank moving backwards and forwards but steering is in reverse!! push stick left = tank turns right!! and vice versa. Anyone know why or how to swap the stick to steer correctly?

I also realised that the original airsoft gun doesn't work as the wiring is all to cock, so I've ordered a new airsoft gun with the correct connectors. One thing i did find is that the tank would run ok then just cut out, having to restart and drive off again. This got worse and worse, so seeing as the new TK unit will work from 7.4-12volts i decided to fit a 3 cell 11v lipo battery, and its cured it, the tank doesn't stop no matter how much i run it, however the tank now does 90mph!!!! until i found how to adjust the TK unit to accept the 7.4v input. You press the G button and pull the right stick down this puts the tank in 7.4v mode, the tank runs at the correct speed, press G and right stick up, 12v mode. I thought id better stick to 7.4 mode as it would probably burn out the motors.

the only problem i have is the steer left / right stick is the wrong way round, if anyone can tell me how to swap them over, that would be great, Oh and I've had the transmitter in bits, you can't swap the switches round, all soldered to the board.

Kev
RenoirLV
Corporal

Re: upgraded HL tiger 1 to 2.4

Post by RenoirLV »

Change the polarity of motor cables. At least one of them. It solves this problem on earlier mfus.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A useful tip there on how to change the voltage. :thumbup:
I don't suppose you have the Right motor connector in the left input on the MFU,have you- and vice versa, of course, for the other side?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I found that the easiest way of changing from 27 to 2.4 was to get a new daughter board from www.forgebeartanks.com and a handful of "JST" plugs from e-bay.
Dremel out the battery box and superglue the battery box cover in place.
After that it was simply a case of deciding which mfu to put in.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The left/right thing happened to me going from HL v5.3 to Taigen v3. Just put the left motor plug in the right socket and visa versa. It works!

Have a good read through the 6.0 / 6.1 full handbook as there are lots of new button combos to learn! If you didn't get one there's a link to it somewhere here on the forum.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
madbadger
Private

Post by madbadger »

Sorted it guys, wires on the motors wanted swapping over, all working now apart from airsoft gun but I’ve ordered a new one with the correct wiring.

Thanks for all the answers

Cheers

Kev
General Jumbo01

Well l got the wire swap right so l'll stick my neck out on the firing mechanism. The air soft gun has lost its permanent power supply so needs a jumper cable to get it back. Use an test meter to identify where to pick it up. Yes, this happened to me when doing a v3 to v5.3 upgrade - in fact it caught out quite a lot of us at the time. Easy o fix and all it costs is a short bit of cable and a blob of solder!
madbadger
Private

Post by madbadger »

There’s only 2 wires coming from the unit, if I wire these to power, the unit just keeps on firing, there’s no way to stop it. If I connect it to the airsoft port on the TK6, it does nothing. I notice on the new unit I’ve ordered it has 4 wires, 2 from motor and 2 from a switch at the rear of the unit. I take it these plug into the airsoft socket and 2 to what I can see as trigger!!!

Kev
General Jumbo01

If figuring out what the wiring does by use of a test meter is beyond your experience then using an updated v6 unit may be the simpler way. I was just trying to save you money. Mind you, a meter costs about the same as a new firing unit if you don't already have one. Would last you a lifetime though.
madbadger
Private

Post by madbadger »

No I’m not that good with wiring the new one I’ve ordered is only £9 delivered from China. It’s got 2 plugs from 4 wires so it must be an easy plug and play!!! Hopefully it will work, everything else seems to be working ok.

Kev

Return to “General Questions”