HL smoke units

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: HL smoke units

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I have a HL proportional smoker factory fitted to a V6 board and though you can hear it reving away with the throttle control it hasn't produced a single whiff of smoke. Nothing changes! :(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I have a HL proportional smoker factory fitted to a V6 board and though you can hear it reving away with the throttle control it hasn't produced a single whiff of smoke. Nothing changes! :(
Do you have any pics of it. I'm curious

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
General Jumbo01

Happy to help but what do you want a photo of? The tank body is the same as earlier models except that all the hatches operate. The v6 mfu is similar in appearance to the v5.3 but with a gold label and more sockets. The smoker looks the same - the proportional speed of the smoker being controlled by the mfu.

The mfu functions, however, are vastly improved, the driving and control options of the model compare well with models l own costing 5 times as much!
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Thanks for your willingness. I wondered if the smoker was different. You answered it. I think I've seen all other items concerned.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

I have a hi tiger with the new v6 board. I modded the smoke unit by swapping the noisy pump with a computer fan as detailed on another thread on this site. What I have noticed is that the fan speeds up or slows down with the throttle so fan is at its fasted when the throttle is high. Does that mean that the smoker on a v6 board is proportional ?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

percy1510 wrote:I have a hi tiger with the new v6 board. I modded the smoke unit by swapping the noisy pump with a computer fan as detailed on another thread on this site. What I have noticed is that the fan speeds up or slows down with the throttle so fan is at its fasted when the throttle is high. Does that mean that the smoker on a v6 board is proportional ?
That's generally what proportional means, Percy.
With some of Tarr units, proportionality comes from having the units wired to the motors. The smoke output would then increase, or decrease, with revs on the motors, occasioned- in turn- by movements of the throttle. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

So the new hi v6 tanks come as standard with proportional smoke
General Jumbo01

Yes, plus a LOT more! Light controls, hull recoil variations, etc etc.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

Quick clarification re HL v6 mfu and smoker. There are two power leads from the mfu to the heater and another two leads to the pump motor. The pump motor speed is the 'proportional' component. This means that as you accelerate the pump speeds up (and still doesn't smoke because HL smokers are useless! IMHO.) :)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I once saw a REME Artificer Sgt Major shouting at one of his craftsmen to get the FV432 he was driving back into the workshop because the exhaust was producing smoke,
Which leaves me wondering why do we have smokers anyway ? :crazy:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”