Heng Long Panzer 1V modified to make Ausf G

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Sub
Sergeant

Heng Long Panzer 1V modified to make Ausf G

Post by Sub »

Hi chaps.
First of all all you P4 experts be gentle with me, here is my work in progress of my modification from a scrap Heng Long P1V D short barrell to my interpretation of an Ausf G with 75mm long barrell DAK
The gearboxes were scrap and have been replaced the plastic sprockets wouldn't come off the axle ( allen screw hole too shallow ) so had to break them to remove the gearboxes, my mate gave me some surplus gearboxes and some P3 alloy sprockets which were fitted, these were slightly bigger in dia so had to remove the front mudguards and modify them with fillets to allow for track clearance.
The hull mg was made from brass with fibre optic cable for flash. The barrel made from brass and the muzzle break modified from something else.
The mantlet was removed and totally modified to correct size and shape, viewing slits opened up etc, the mantlet couldnt be moved closer to the turret face due to the bb mechanism which i still wanted at this time
Turret bin lowered and modified and headlight covers scratch built
Radio aerial moved from rear to rh side
Further mods in time will be diy barrell recoil, muzzle flash and mantlet moved closer in.
Painting is airbrushed and weathered by me, still not finished yet...bit more weathering and decals for Africa corps

Radio is still stock 27 Meg...
Model shows additional scratch made bolt on frontal armour with 12 BA nuts etc.
I wanted a well used P4 thats seen a few sand storms.
As i said still more to do until im happy.
Regards
Sub.
Attachments
20191005_164724_resized.jpg
20191005_164653_resized.jpg
20191005_165046_resized.jpg
20191005_164944_resized.jpg
20191005_163058_resized.jpg
20191005_163124_resized.jpg
square4
Lance Corporal

Re: Heng Long Panzer 1V modified to make Ausf G

Post by square4 »

I'm no Piv expert, but its looking good so far. 8)
I never finish anyth
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im no anything expert, and its looking good to me too !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:) No quibbles, so far. :thumbup: One bugbear for me, with non-Tamiya upper hulls, is that the rear engine deck should have a slight slope in it, where Taigen/ HL/Mato have it annoyingly level. It's a bit of a job sawing slight fillets oot to create the slope, but long term, it makes the model much more authentic looking. :thumbup: It only costs elbow grease, and a bit of careful cutting.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Very nice work,
A tip or two if I may,
To save yourself a lot of aggravation in the future Taigens latest PZ4 Metal Turret is as good as you will find anywhere,
It comes complete with a Slip Ring and "360" gear,
The detail on the turret is brilliant,
The turret stowage box is now correct and it even has a Bore sight mounted in front of the front viewing slit of the cupola (Which Tamiyas PZ4 does not have), nice little things such as the weld around the base of the cupola and the side door stops on the turret are properly located, it also has an accurate aerial deflector attached to the main gun barrel and its correctly shaped mantlet but minus the co-axial mg,
One failing is the Hooks on the front corners of the turret which need a little work with a file to form the shape of the hook but there is ample metal to do the job, It does not take long and it really adds to the overall look
The Taigen Turret is available in I/R or BB from www.forgebeartanks.com,
I cut off the front fenders of all my PZ4s and replace them with working ones from "WOZ" C/O "Shapeways",
The metal hinges come from a Dolls House accessory site,
I also get the reinforced frontal armour from WOZ C/O Shapeways ,
The Nuts Bolts and Washers come from www.prime-miniatures.co.uk these are good for the armour as well as for the hinged front fenders,
The front armour comes with faux bolt heads which I shave off before pin vicing holes for the bolts,
Rolson do a nice Small scale "Tap & Die" set for your bolts.
Peddinghaus have a choice of PZ4 Ausf G water slide decals,
But like I said at the beginning a lovely job of work, Much to be proud of.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Thx chaps for the feed back, and nice comments.
I was aware of the rear deck slope but didnt do it for fear of beggering it all up, but food for thought for later, the barrell indicator is to be fitted shortly and on the list of things to still do.
It runs quite well with the P3 sprockets as being slightly larger they gear it down a little more and is very smooth, i did have to add an extra link each side to account for the extra length / diameter.
I will add / alter more as time goes on and make parts that are needed, thx for all the detailed info on the P4, i have the Panzer 4 at war book which is quite useful.
Regards
Sub.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”