TORRO Sturmtiger build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

TORRO Sturmtiger build

Post by baldrick131 »

This is my sturmtiger I am modifying it from the standard kit with bits i can make from scratch or 3d print I will buy some parts for it that are to fiddly to make.
I would like to say this is not a build to please all the rivet counters out there and if i get things wrong thats the way it will stay :haha: hope that dosent offend anyone its just something to do when im not fixing my motorbike :crazy:
But if there is any advice about what i am doing I would be more than happy to take it as its a bit of a learning curve for me.
So here is my starting point.
The first things to be changed were the gearboxes and drive sprockets
I will replace the road wheels and track eventually.
The switch bracket in the tank was absolute pants so made my own on the 3d printer now the switches line up with the hatch.
Now it time to get serious with it and break out the cutting tools :haha: but first after some measuring and tinkering on the computer I made some virtual side mudguards.
Which allowed me to make some 1;1 drawings
With some .25 brass sheet and the kitchen scissors they take shape
Here they are fitted with 12ba bolts and i think they look good not exactly factory fresh but thats not a bad thing I also fitted some Taigon etched grill covers as I wasn't going to file out all those holes :haha:
I beat the covers about a bit to look trampled on
Now to do the front ones just cutting them off left a massive gap the blue parts are an attempt to put a rifled liner in the barrel with a dummy projectile in there also but it makes the barrel liner look too thick Image
The projectile is simply held in place with a piece of tube shoved down the barrel of the BB gun
The gaps were filled in with parts of the side mudguards cut off previously to recreate the front hull shape
With the front mudguards removed the front section that holds the top in place was very wobbly so more parts of the side mudguards were used to stiffen it up
More work with the kitchen scissors and the main part of the front mudguards are offered up
with a bit more cutting and soldering they take shape
I decided to do the gunners side folded over and the drivers side crunched up a bit
I dont realy like the look of the barrel so had a go at 3d printing the version without the counter weight on the end and it needs some alering and fine tuning but it look good for a first attempt also note i have replaced the side hook brackets with 1mm brass I had kicking about and to my amazement the kitchen scissors cut it (dont tell the wife) :shh:
When the barrel is done I will move on to replace the hatches on top of the super structure and have them opening a preliminary set has been made but again they will need more work before i set saw against tank
Well there it is so far I hope I haven't bored you all to death with it (like the wife is when she asks me what im up to in the shed) and I have more things started to change/modify but will post about them when they get further along.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: TORRO Sturmtiger build

Post by General Jumbo01 »

A facinating build thread, looks great. If you are prepared to do all this work in the shed, your wife should consider herself very lucky. Very, very lucky ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Superb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

Great write up and photos
Drammen Rock City
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Inspiring. Particularly the part about kitchen scissors and brass sheets.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Splendid work indeed. :clap: :clap:
I never finish anyth
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Following with interesting, looking forward to seeing how you tackle the opening hatches on the rear deck.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Thanks everyone for the positive response to my build its been a long time since I last built a model tank and its still a bit of a learning curve as I go on.
I will be posting the stl files on thingiverse as I perfect them as I am still a novice with solidworks it might be a while lol.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some elegant bits of engineering, and tweaking here :thumbup: I must say, that blue projectile is quite alluring, as well as distinctive :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Thanks I have printed a whole prjectile so if I get chance I will try and make a diarama for it when I'm not chasing the dog round the garden with it

Return to “Other Builds”