Hooben Porsche VK4501 Tiger (P).

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jarndice
Colonel

Hooben Porsche VK4501 Tiger (P).

Post by jarndice »

"RCU" have a link to an E-Bay site that is selling the Hooben Porsche VK4501 Tiger (P)
$320 fully r/c with metal gearboxes but metal tracks and other metal parts are options,
NOT RTR,
"Sassgrunt" has offered a write up which is a bit of a curates egg in its pros & cons.
BUT the question is where are you going to get a 1/16 Porsche VK4501 Tiger fully equipped for £300 elsewhere ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hooben Porsche VK4501 Tiger (P).

Post by RobW »

I found the static for £149 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//274046137052

Do you have the link to the full option?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Rob if you go to your own link and scroll down to "BRAND NEW" it is there on the right hand side titled "Full Set" . :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Typical comments one would expect with Hooben. They've been making RTR for some time now but finally getting around to marketing it.
I'm glad that they finally posted it on Ebay, (which means they probably have it in stock). I ordered one last year from their website and it took six months of excuses before they finally sent it. (I think they were busy with their 1/10 tanks, and weren't ready to make this one yet).

What I like about it is that they made the side turret vision ports the right height, which is lower than the later Tiger I has. That saves you from trying to modify the standard-height holes, as you'd have to do on a Tamiya or Heng Long turret. They also have better gearboxes than on their older Elefant kits - these have bearings and support the drive sprockets a lot better. (Of course, they use the same turret for their Tiger I, which then has the vision ports too low).

What I DON'T like is their turret-to-hull connection. They glue a plastic ring on the upper hull (stands about 1/8" high), and there is also some standoff under the turret. That raises the turret to have an unacceptable gap underneath, (you can see that in their photos). I have two of these kits. On the first one, I used Tamiya turret, and cut away the turret floor and raised it so that it would fit down over this ring. It left much less room inside the turret for any electronics, but I couldn't figure a better way to go about it. This tank will be the "003" one that saw combat for two months in 1944. On the second one, I used a Ryobi electric chisel to remove the ring, and am using the Hooben turret. This one will be the very early turret with the raised center section on the roof, and I am building it as a Girls und Panzer version. (Yeah, I know that's stupid, but I'm doing it anyway).

The other thing I don't care for is the way they join the hull roof to the sides. They include brass standoffs that are attached to the floor and require you to remove six countersunk screws to get the top off. What I did was to cut the sides away and glue them to the hull top. Once you attach the fenders to the lower hull, then the top/sides piece can "key" down onto the part that you cut it away from. Magnets hold the hull top & turret down onto the lower hull.

Henntec does not make a replacement idler setup; nor does ETO make a replacement gearbox for it. I Mickey-Moused my own idler reinforcement, and am satisfied with the improve Hooben gearbox. The plastic tracks are okay, but Kenny Kong sells replacement metal ones. -Mike
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I was just having a peek myself, Richard, at this and other offerings from 'thor-robotics' on Ebay. The RTR Porsche Tiger looks fairly impressive, but my eye was drawn to their late Tiger 1 (Wittmann).
Hooben are to be complimented on at least getting the front armour plate detail correct, (the top edge slopes slightly at both the nearside and offside ends), where Taigen, and Heng Long, models have a straight edge
along the full extent of the plate's top edge. It's a glaring error, but at least Hooben have remedied it. :thumbup:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273676698567
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Meandering through Hooben's links on Ebay, I also came across these items:
Hooben FPV camera for Tanks
Hooben FPV camera for Tanks
Hooben FPV.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Hooben FPV viewer and  RC Controller combo  unit
Hooben FPV viewer and RC Controller combo unit
I suppose, that these are optional extras for Hooben tank models. Does anyone know if they're any good? :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Thanks. Looks good, not buying one though. Should be about £320 once HMRC have been at it?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You can buy much smaller camera/transmitter plus apps for your phone screen/holder FPV systems from other manufacturers. The obvious choice for small/good range cameras would be those produced primarily for drones and they are light and compact. There are lots of these on Banggood's web site. Just search FPV. Great idea for battles as you don't need to have operator line of sight and, if you have enhanced your IR emitter to restrict IR spread, you'll need to take aim from the tank.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

My Maus came with that camera its not bad but there are much better ones out there
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)

Return to “General Discussion”