HL smoke units

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Growbag
Recruit

HL smoke units

Post by Growbag »

Morning all
Not sure this is in the right place, my apolagies if its not. Im trying to find a smoke unit that actually simulates smoke unlike the ones in Heng Long tanks. I'm trying to find one for a HL T90.

I have spoken to Dave from Forgebear tanks and it seems that as I have the latest board TK-6.0 there isnt a proportional smoke unit that has been tried and tested with this board. Very helpful guy by the way.

HL do make another smoke unit but its very hard trying to get information from anyone to ask if it would work with HL latest boards and if its proportional or not.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Growbag
RenoirLV
Corporal

Re: HL smoke units

Post by RenoirLV »

Hi
One way is to add this to any smoker to make it proportional.
https://www.rctank.de/Smoke-unit-upgrad ... onal-smoke

I have one on my hl stock smoker. I'm happy.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Growbag
Recruit

Post by Growbag »

Hi RenoirLV
Thanks for the prompt reply. Does you suggestion involve much soldering? It seems a good plan though.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

There surely is soldering involved. Both the heater and the fan/pump motor wires go to the board, as does wires to at least one of the gearbox motors, to receive info about revs.
I was delighted to find that this way the noisy HL stock smoker became nearly perfect. It turns slowly at low revs and is not heard at all and at high revs the noise is cancelled out by the tank sounds. Perfect solution IMHO.

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You might give some thought to a Tarr unit. They're fully proportional, and a popular choice amongst RCTW's membership.
How one will match up with the TK 6.0 is, as yet, uncertain. My guess is that one it should work well with it. A bit more research is needed. :thumbup:
https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store ... _Unit.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

A Tarr unit per se has the capacity to be proportional. It basically means it has separate wires to the heater and the fan. In most if not all cases proportional operation is ensured by the mfu or the plate I posted here. So any other smoker can be proportional. There are two components that are either fed by the same power source or two separate sources. If there is only one socket for the smoker with two pins I don't believe it is proportional.

Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A word of warning, I use Tarr smokers whenever I am able BUT they do not work with Taigens newest Board and I would take advice if I were you before buying a Tarr smoker for your Heng Long 6.0 Board.
Perhaps Ian (Tankbear) or Dave (Forgebear) both of them being dealers who sell Tarr smokers would have information ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Growbag
Recruit

Post by Growbag »

Hi Jarndice
I spoke to Dave yesterday and he advised me that it wasnt a good idea as the board is new. Its a TK-6.0.

Andrew from Haya Ltd has advised me that Heng Long sell a smoker thats proportional and its on their site but im not prepared to buy and try to fit anything unless im sure. I need to know if its plug and play or a soldering job.

If anyone could let me know if there is a way round it id be gratefull.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

GB if it is any consolation a lot of us gave up on smokers for many years simply because they either did not work or failed within weeks of buying the Tank,
Life goes on without a smoker :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

My experiences with the smoke generators:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... enerators/

I have to update the entry anway. Now I have the V3 versions fully working. Heaps of smoke!
EDIT: I will update the entry with proportional smoke too.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Questions”